Kentucky Derby MiniMarathon/Marathon

Discussion in 'Events/Competition' started by Soccer Princess, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Soccer Princess

Soccer Princess DIS Cast Member<br><font color=red>you would never

Any of you doing one of these races this year? I'm considering the Mini, but not fully convinced yet :)

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. StarGirl11

StarGirl11 DIS Veteran

Not this year but I did the race back in '11. Loved it.

Piece of advice, do not buy the pasta tickets. The food isn't worth it. I would pay for Disneyland Pasta Tickets twice over (though mind you I actually like the Disneyland Pasta Party in September) than eat there food. Get reservations, and get them early. Downtown restaurants were a crazy mess the year we went. And of course we didn't have reservations because we were planning to eat at the pasta party. There party remains the only party I've tried and actively disliked. And I have 11 halves under my belt now.

Oh and if you do the mini and run with music put them down during the Churchill Downs run. They tend to play old race calls while the runners are going through the infield. They were playing one of the 90s race calls (think it was 90 but not 100 percent sure) when I was going through.

Don't know if they still do it. But the year I did it they weren't giving out water cups but mini water bottles. Its a lot better than it sounds.

Its one of my favorite races and I hope to go back one year myself. However if you get me with then 5 miles of Churchill Downs a week before the Derby you are going to have a very hard time getting me to leave before the Derby goes off.

4. Rose&Mike

Rose&Mike DIS Veteran

I've done the half the last two years and Mike has run the half 3 or 4 times. He ran the marathon last year.

We are both running the half this year and I am hoping for a pr. :)

Unless they change the course, the half is pretty flat and fast. There is a hill (tunnel) going into and out of Churchill Downs which is steep and then a couple other small hills, but other than that pretty flat.

My only complaints--the corrals are a joke and the port of potties on the course are kind of hard to find (other than the start and finish).

Assuming the weather cooperates, there is a huge party on the great lawn afterwards and I think a beer coupon with your bib usually.

I'm probably not selling it very well, but it really is a fun half marathon.:goodvibes

The full has a bunch more hills and runs through some of the parks we train in. It can warm-up pretty quick in late April in Louisville which can make for a challenging end to the full. Mike has said it was definitely a one and done full for him.

Louisville definitely throws out the welcome mat around Derby, so it's a great time to visit. :)

ETA--and we seem to remember some stops in 2012 had cups and some had bottles...

5. Soccer Princess

Soccer Princess DIS Cast Member<br><font color=red>you would never

Thanks for the input! I just saw they extended the deadline for cheaper registration for another month, so I'm definitely going to put some thought into it :)

6. pjupton

pjupton Mouseketeer

Still on the fence here too. I ran it in 2011. I'm definitely running Run the Bluegrass in Lexington on 3/30. Didn't realize until I saw your post that I don't have to decide today, it can wait another month.

7. MikeofRose&Mike

MikeofRose&Mike Mouseketeer

We are officially registered.

8. mickeysgal

mickeysgal <font color=blue>Orange you glad I like Knock Knoc

Does anyone have a link to this half marathon? I'm interested. Wanted to run the Lexington one but we're already running two in March. Looking for something in April.

9. Rose&Mike

Rose&Mike DIS Veteran

Here you go:
    http://derbyfestivalmarathon.com/

What two are you doing in March? And honestly, Louisville is a better place to visit than Lexington. :) In my opinion, though I'm sure some will disagree.

10. mickeysgal

mickeysgal <font color=blue>Orange you glad I like Knock Knoc

Shamrock half in Virginia Beach and the Bainbridge, GA half. They are back to back for us. Not the best of timing, but it will be a good test of our training..

11. sunshine girl

sunshine girl DIS Veteran

I signed up for the KY Derby MiniMarathon ... am excited! Trying to keep in shape after doing the Disney Marathon in January --- I need to keep doing halfs this year to try and keep my fitness up somewhat.

I saw this race and really thought it would be cool to run in Churchill Downs. Hope we have nice weather!

:sunny:

12. tmanaster

tmanaster Mouseketeer

I'm thinking about it but not sure. Trying to decide about Dopey and if I decide yes I need to save my $ for that!