Kentucky Clerk Kim Davis found in contempt, going to jail

So you would be okay with a Muslim refusing a license to a couple because the woman wasn't wearing a burka.
Or to take it one step further, I read somewhere somebody suggesting that if it is ok to not do your job due to religious beliefs, then it would it be ok if Davis's replacement was a Muslim and refused to issue marriage licenses to Christians because they believe them all to be infidels. Would that be ok

Of course not. This is one of the reasons our founding fathers made very sure our government would not be a theocracy. The founding fathers must be spinning in their graves with a speed enough to give Walt a run for his money.

However, as an employee of the Rowan County voters, Davis is required to perform all the duties of that office. She doesn't get to pick and choose.
She's not the first or only person to protest and refuse duties, that they are required to perform. Aren't others also refusing on religious grounds?

She was hired by the voters... let them put her out.

Or to take it one step further, I read somewhere somebody suggesting that if it is ok to not do your job due to religious beliefs, then it would it be ok if Davis's replacement was a Muslim and refused to issue marriage licenses to Christians because they believe them all to be infidels. Would that be ok?
She's not issuing ANY marriage licenses PERIOD.

Of course she's judging them. She is deciding based on her personal beliefs that they should not be permitted to marry and enjoy the numerous benefits (personal, financial etc) that being married entails. That is not her job. Her job is to take their paperwork, verify its accuracy and stamp the license. Not perform the wedding not agree or disagree with the couples lifestyle. Simply push the papers

Like Sam said she was refusing across the board. So she wasn't picking anyone out.

Was she asking them details of their lives? Was she telling them they are wrong? Was she saying anything to them? No. She made the decision not to perform an action because of the facts placed before her. She was choosing not to do something that she believes is wrong. Belief that HER actions would be wrong.

I don't agree with her actions, but I don't agree that she was judging.

Maybe in her mind this was her way of taking a stand against a law she believes is wrong. Like a doctor who won't perform an abortion.

Or to take it one step further, I read somewhere somebody suggesting that if it is ok to not do your job due to religious beliefs, then it would it be ok if Davis's replacement was a Muslim and refused to issue marriage licenses to Christians because they believe them all to be infidels. Would that be ok?

Precisely. What this narcissistic hypocrite is doing is selectively enforcing her own perverted version of Sharia law. I am pleased that the judge (a devout man of faith, from what I've read) is enforcing the laws of the United States and holding her in contempt of court for not doing so.

She can live life anyway she wants but she cannot prevent others from living the life they want. Her rights stop where the rights of other start

I didn't say anything about anyone's rights. I was simply responding to her being called a hipocrite due to past actions.

She's not the first or only person to protest and refuse duties, that they are required to perform. Aren't others also refusing on religious grounds?

She was hired by the voters... let them put her out.

They can do so at the next election, if she's not impeached or does not resign beforehand. But in the meantime, she should remain in jail until she is no longer in contempt of court.

How do you figure she's "selectively enforcing"? She's denying marriage licences to EVERYONE.

Because she only began enforcing "Christian law" on this issue, and did issue marriage licenses before to people who had violated other Christian dicta. She is, therefore, a hypocrite, as she says she cannot violate her faith, but has done so previously on other issues also anathema to the Christian faith. It's actually quite straight forward and simple.

Like Sam said she was refusing across the board. So she wasn't picking anyone out.

Was she asking them details of their lives? Was she telling them they are wrong? Was she saying anything to them? No. She made the decision not to perform an action because of the facts placed before her. She was choosing not to do something that she believes is wrong. Belief that HER actions would be wrong.

I don't agree with her actions, but I don't agree that she was judging.

Maybe in her mind this was her way of taking a stand against a law she believes is wrong. Like a doctor who won't perform an abortion.
She is choosing not to do something due to her beliefs, not because of any facts.

The only "facts" here are that gay marriage is legal and that she has been compelled to issue licenses to all couples including gay couples. Because she refuses to follow the law, she gets to cool her tushy in jail.

11924534_10153641723236081_2197395276979716273_n.jpg

Last edited:
Because she only began enforcing "Christian law" on this issue, and did issue marriage licenses before to people who had violated other Christian dicta. She is, therefore, a hypocrite, as she says she cannot violate her faith, but has done so previously on other issues also anathema to the Christian faith. It's actually quite straight forward and simple.

Not really.

You have no idea if she is a hypocrite as you don't know what changed or didn't change in her life.

She is choosing not to do something due to her beliefs, not because of any facts. She IS judging their lifestyle. She has become judge and jury saying that anybody who does not follow her beliefs cannot get married.

And let's not get into the farce of she is not issuing licenses to anybody. She is very vocal that the only reason she is not issuing licenses is because she does not believe in gay marriage. That is an Opinion, not a fact.

The only "facts" here are that gay marriage is legal and that she has been compelled to issue licenses to all couples including gay couples. Because she refuses to follow the law, she gets to cool her tushy in jail.

11924534_10153641723236081_2197395276979716273_n.jpg

So if two men or two women stand before her, that is not a fact?

She is judging the law but that doesn't mean she is judging the people.

Let me say again, I do not agree with jer actions or with her particular beliefs.

Doctors who do not want to perform abortions don't work for abortion clinics :teacher:.

I know. I said before she should have stepped down. But doctors have taken a stand against the law and as I said "in her mind".

It's hard to discuss this in depth without interjecting religion or politics. IMO Those topics are banned, although some leeway is given on certain subjects. I have typed responses, backspaced and deleted. The boundaries are a bit fluid. I'm not sure, what's allowed.:confused:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter