Kennedy Space Center info?

Gracefulskinny

DIS Veteran
My family has the strong potential of traveling to the orlando area for a wedding in March. We are considering taking an extra day or two and going to see Kennedy Space Center. While I have been there in the past I was a child and don't remember much. My husband and DD (3) have never been.

Can anyone go into detail about it? Is it worth doing? Is google maps correct and it's really an hour from orlando? Is it worth looking into a hotel on the coast and switching? Will my daughter get anything out of the experience?

Basically the only really info on it I can find is Kennedy Space Center's website which isn't great. Any input fellow disers can give would be great. Thanks!

Yes, it's really an hour from Orlando, and there are several tolls (at least on the road that I use to get there).

I love the KSC, and I definitely think it's worth doing in general, but I can't imagine that a 3 year old would really get a lot out of it. Most of the attractions just involve walking around and looking at stuff. There are a couple IMAX movies but they're a bit long for a small child, and the space shuttle launch simulator has a height requirement.

It is a great place to check out. But the KSC Bus Tour is the absolute highlight. I think it actually makes the Center. Its included in your admission and a must do. I agree with a PP that it could be a challenge with a 3 yr old. Kathy has done some great blogs about KSC recently and if you search on the main DIS site, should you find them easily.

We were there on Thursday.

Far Far better than it was 2 years ago. New Imax films. New Bus tour .... to launch pads.

Etc. There are a few places for younger children to play . Places to sit down and rest & Places to eat ( We did not eat during the day.)

Well worth a visit.

As pointed out it is about 0ne & a half hour drive both ways. .... Quickest route is Manned Toll road

We were a party of 3 Adults & arrived at Noon & left again ( Satisfied having done 95 o/o ) at 6pm.

We went last October. Definitely a must do. We spent the entire day there. It's an hour drive so probably not worth switching hotels. I'm not sure a 3 year old would find anything interesting there. You would definitely be going for your benefit only. Have you considered legoland instead? It's also an hour from Orlando and they have a toddler area and lots of smaller rides. Not to mention the park is a lot less expensive than Disney. You can find Buy one Adult, Get one Child free tickets.

We are going to Port Canaveral during our trip. Dh is probably more excited about that then actual Disney World! We are doing Ohana breakfast early and leaving right after, we plan on getting back around 5pm and hitting a park in the evening. My kids are 14 and 12, and they enjoy educational stops like that.

New Bus tour .... to launch pads.
Did you still go to the Apollo/Saturn V Center at the end of the tour? I was there almost 2 yrs ago and that Center was absolutely incredible. If you are a history buff & know your Space stuff, this is an absolute gem.
ps did you also see lots of gators in the ditches along the side of the bus tour route? Our guide joked that they were long a part of the Center's security. Given how many we saw, I have no doubt they did their fair share of unintentional security detail work.

Yes -- as others have said it's a one hour drive (From our resort we go there in 63 minutes).

It's really an interesting day even if you are not into space (me). Years ago it was horrible -- so boring. But it is really good now. Looks like they learned a little from their theme park neighbors and now do a great job of entertaining and educating at the same time. The basic tour included is very good and would be what I would recommend as a must do on a first visit. That in itself to me would make it worth the trip. With the stops this took us about three hours.

It's not designed for really young children and toddlers though. I think older elementary school and up would enjoy it and some younger ones too if they are into things like science museums and space.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter