Keepin' it on the downlow(country) at HHI - New TR link - pg 31

Oh - I would love to join the two of you for a lady's trip! Especially if we go to V&A. After having been blown away with the experience of dining at Remy on the Fantasy, I really want to try V&A - and the two of you would be lovely company for that! :goodvibes Not sure if I could work it out, considering how far away I live and that I currently trying to juggle finances and time off to make a transatlantic relationship work. But I guess you are thinking of a time frame of 2017 and beyond - so who knows what things will be like then! :goodvibes

(Sorry, Glen!)

OH. OH, OH, OH!!! YES!!! A trip with you would be a DREAM vacation!!

Yes, after graduation and I find a full time job which gives a bit of disposable income, a yearly trip is on the docket!!

More on this in a bit... walking out the door for a bridal shower. :)

Or on my thread , keeps it moving which mine isn't lately, so many have not stopped by in ages ;):confused3:lmao:

I have not abandoned you, Rosie, Dear! I make the rounds as I can, but honestly this term is getting VERY stressful and busy, and I can hardly keep mine up. But I AM reading!!

Glenn, thanks for being such a gracious host!! You may need a bigger couch and some good snacks. :)

Trying to get all caught up around here while I have a tiny little bit of time.

I read your most dangerous night update right after you posted, but apparently never commented, so "Mr. Dangerous".............

If you approached this night with trepidation, it sure wasn't apparent..........and we need to have a long, long talk! :rolleyes1

First of all, you two cleaned up really nice! I knew Judy had it in HER.......... :rolleyes: I'm glad you had such a great meal! Looking at the menu, I'm not sure I could have decided on something that sounded good, because quite frankly, a lot of those descriptions make me go :confused3 At those prices, the steak and baked potato better be really, really good! :goodvibes :rotfl2: Actually, Judy's fish looked very good, but I would need a better idea about everything that was in the "sauce" before I spread it on every bite! :scratchin

I love the pool area at HHIR! And the CMs there are some of the best on Disney properties IMHO! They do a wonderful job keeping everyone entertained.:thumbsup2

Too bad the weather cut things short (or maybe not....... ;) ). You got some really good pictures from the balcony!

what a lovely lovely update!!!!!!!!!

Vine sounds amazing and an incredible anniversary celebration.

Great pictures, both of the two of you and of all the amazing food!

Somehow I don't think the rain dampened the evening at all

:goodvibes

Here I thought I would have to catch up on a bunch of updates. ONE, Glenn!!! I had ONE update to read.

It seems like there was a lot more going on when you went than during December. I think there were more people in that pool pic than during my entire trip.

Coming back to finally get to replies. Sorry all! I hate the new DIS so far. My own thread wasn't on my "watched threads" page today, don't know what's up with that.

OH. OH, OH, OH!!! YES!!! A trip with you would be a DREAM vacation!!

Yes, after graduation and I find a full time job which gives a bit of disposable income, a yearly trip is on the docket!!

More on this in a bit... walking out the door for a bridal shower. :)

I called that one. Wasn't too hard. ;)

Or on my thread , keeps it moving which mine isn't lately, so many have not stopped by in ages ;):confused3:lmao:

I've poked my head in.

I have not abandoned you, Rosie, Dear! I make the rounds as I can, but honestly this term is getting VERY stressful and busy, and I can hardly keep mine up. But I AM reading!!

Glenn, thanks for being such a gracious host!! You may need a bigger couch and some good snacks. :)

The more, the merrier.

Trying to get all caught up around here while I have a tiny little bit of time.

I read your most dangerous night update right after you posted, but apparently never commented, so "Mr. Dangerous".............

Yes?

If you approached this night with trepidation, it sure wasn't apparent..........and we need to have a long, long talk! :rolleyes1

:rolleyes:

First of all, you two cleaned up really nice! I knew Judy had it in HER.......... :rolleyes:

I know, it was nice of her to let me be seen with her.

I'm glad you had such a great meal! Looking at the menu, I'm not sure I could have decided on something that sounded good, because quite frankly, a lot of those descriptions make me go :confused3

:laughing: Yes, it can be a touch place to decide on what to get!

At those prices, the steak and baked potato better be really, really good! :goodvibes :rotfl2: Actually, Judy's fish looked very good, but I would need a better idea about everything that was in the "sauce" before I spread it on every bite! :scratchin

This might not be the most cost-effective place for steak and a potato! Judy made a great choice with that fish though...it was fantastic.

I love the pool area at HHIR! And the CMs there are some of the best on Disney properties IMHO! They do a wonderful job keeping everyone entertained.:thumbsup2

I have to agree. It was evident that everyone was just having a blast.

Too bad the weather cut things short (or maybe not....... ;) ). You got some really good pictures from the balcony!

Yep, it was a shame to turn in early. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

what a lovely lovely update!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Cynthia! :goodvibes I was looking forward to posting this one!

Vine sounds amazing and an incredible anniversary celebration.

Great pictures, both of the two of you and of all the amazing food!

It was such a great place for a romantic dinner/celebration. I think you'd love it there.

Somehow I don't think the rain dampened the evening at all

:goodvibes

:umbrella: ;) :blush:

Here I thought I would have to catch up on a bunch of updates. ONE, Glenn!!! I had ONE update to read.

You had me :rotfl2:out loud with this post Reddog! Well, I know how you hate to get too far behind. :tilt:

It seems like there was a lot more going on when you went than during December. I think there were more people in that pool pic than during my entire trip.

I can't imagine being in that pool in December! I remember living in North Carolina and during Spring Break-time the paper carried a front-page photo of a girl in the ocean with the headline "Not From Around Here, Are Ya?" :cold:

Thanks for posting the video of the bike ride to the beach. My husband and I may take a trip with friends to HHI, and DH first question was about the bike trails. Plus he loves riding on the beach at HHI. We have stayed at HHI before but never at the Disney DVC.

you will get used to the new look, there are plants of neat new functionalities.

If you thread did not have new posts to it, it does not show up in Watched Threads. At the bottom of the page ther is a button to see all Watched Threads.

one thing I love is that everything stays unread until I really read it. Makes it so much easier to read one or two threads at a time.

there is also a great way of multi quoting. I explained it on my thread. ;-)

Good to see you here on your own thread, Mister. As flossbolna says, you will get used to it. I"ve not spent a whole lot of time on it yet, but it's easy to pick up. I didn't have the energy to understand what she was talking about in the multi-quoting explanation, but will learn it over Spring Break. But I do like that it gives you instant notifications like on FB, and that you can follow people (it's easier now), and that it stays unread, so you can pick it up where you last left off.

Thanks for posting the video of the bike ride to the beach.

:welcome: micandminforever!! Thanks for commenting. You're very welcome for the video. I was hoping that people would find it helpful.

My husband and I may take a trip with friends to HHI, and DH first question was about the bike trails. Plus he loves riding on the beach at HHI. We have stayed at HHI before but never at the Disney DVC.

As you may know, there are miles and miles of bike trails around the island. As long as you've got the peddle-power, you can probably get just about anywhere. And I'm sure you already know that the beach itself is very rideable. We never did it, but saw several people riding along on the beach.

you will get used to the new look, there are plants of neat new functionalities.

If you thread did not have new posts to it, it does not show up in Watched Threads. At the bottom of the page ther is a button to see all Watched Threads.

Gotcha, thanks.

one thing I love is that everything stays unread until I really read it. Makes it so much easier to read one or two threads at a time.

That would be good to stay current on threads that you're basically up-to-date on, but not so good for threads that you're way behind on, which is just about all of the threads I'm following.

there is also a great way of multi quoting. I explained it on my thread. ;-)
Thanks! That's helpful. That'll be good for commenting. I'll still do it the old way for doing replies here, since I try to respond to (almost) everything.

Good to see you here on your own thread, Mister. As flossbolna says, you will get used to it. I"ve not spent a whole lot of time on it yet, but it's easy to pick up.

They up'd the number of posts per page to 20! :headache: Now all of my old trip reports have chapters that start 3/4 of the way down the page! Doh!

I didn't have the energy to understand what she was talking about in the multi-quoting explanation, but will learn it over Spring Break. But I do like that it gives you instant notifications like on FB, and that you can follow people (it's easier now), and that it stays unread, so you can pick it up where you last left off.

I'm getting more used to it, but still not sold.

This morning was Wednesday June 25th. We were a little more than halfway through our vacation and the big event planned for today was the Dolphin Cruise. We didn’t have to be at the Activities Window until 9:30, but were up around 6am. I worked on some trip notes and Judy did some laundry. I tell ya, having a washer/dryer in the suite never gets old!

Breakfast wasn't too glamorous today, just some cereal and coffee for me. Judy probably had some fruit.

IMG_7850_zps3fa00d81.jpg

I wanted to get a picture of the resort sign, so set off to get that done before we needed to report for the cruise. There’s a bridge leading to the resort from Shelter Cove (the resort is actually on a small island), and the sign is at the Shelter Cove end of the bridge.

Here’s a shot of the marina as I crossed the bridge. The red-roofed buildings on the right side of the picture, above the trees, are Disney resort buildings.

IMG_7851_zps35b31f6c.jpg

A little further on, and across the road, my mission was accomplished.

IMG_7852_zpsbaed7830.jpg

Here you can see what I was trying to describe earlier. The sign, the bridge, a nice walkway along the bridge, and the entrance gate to the resort at the other end of the bridge. The marina is to the left of the walkway.

IMG_7856_zpsb6f6bcca.jpg

I walked over near the entrance to the walkway and took another picture of the marina. You can see the resort buildings a little better in this one.

IMG_7857_zps80dce284.jpg

An artsy walkway shot.

IMG_7859_zps70164669.jpg

And another shot of the marina from the walkway.

IMG_7860_zps0e938903.jpg

Walking back toward the resort, the shuttle stop to catch a ride to the Beach House is near the entrance gate. If memory serves ;), there was service daily, from 10am to 5pm, running every 30 minutes.

IMG_7861_zpscde0f446.jpg

Just beyond that was the entrance gate. It was always nice to pull up to this and use my key card to have the arm swing up, allowing me in. Yes! I belong!!

IMG_7862_zps400bddcb.jpg

And just beyond that, was the Live Oak Lodge. You walk up the steps at the front of the building to get to the Front Desk. To get to the underground parking, you take the driveway around to the right side of the building, and you can see the entrance in this picture, just above the windshield of that SUV on the right side. You can also walk to the underground parking through the opening at the front of the building, between the stairways. That’s also a good way to get to the elevator to reach the upper floors.

IMG_7863_zps446a96d8.jpg

With my little photo excursion done, I went back to the suite and got some sunscreen on before heading out for the dolphin cruise.

I had to take a picture of Judy with the Bambi and Thumper topiaries. It seems like there should be a "Kodak Picture Spot" sign here.

DSCF0123_zpse346b4a1.jpg

We got to the Activities Window and soon another couple joined us in waiting for the cruise. They had a really cute baby with them, Tommy. After a little bit, our captain, Tony, appeared and walked us over to the marina to board our boat.

This picture was actually taken after the tour, but I couldn’t wait to show you our boat. Do you see that magnificent white yacht, dwarfing all of the other boats? Yeah, that wasn’t our boat. Ours was the one in the foreground. Not quite the yacht, but perfect for a little trip on the intracoastal.

DSCF0158_zpse4a1b89d.jpg

We got situated and pulled out of the marina. Wait, is that what you do in a boat? Maybe it’s "set out". Okay, let’s go with that. We set out from the marina and I took a shot of what I’ll call "Kayak Beach" at the far end of the resort as we passed. This was where we started off on our kayak tour a couple of days before.

DSCF0124_zpsde2b8528.jpg

Another shot back toward the resort

DSCF0125_zps6305da7a.jpg

We soon found the kayakers. This was us, just a couple of days prior.

DSCF0126_zps90aa4eb3.jpg

I took a picture of the other couple with their camera for them, and they took one of me and Judy.

DSCF0129_zpsd41fcf5a.jpg

Yeah, my legs hadn’t seen a lot of sun.

Anyway, regarding the cruise. Captain Tony was an absolute wealth of information, and was as happy to talk about the celebrities who live/vacation in the area as he was the nature that we were seeing. I think he’d talk on any topic that you asked him. My notes are a hodge-podge of what I could remember to write down after we got back, and they go like this:

We saw Mark Messier’s house (famous NY Rangers hockey player). I have a picture of it later in the chapter. Tony told us that Oprah looked at it but didn’t buy it.

Barbara Streisand was weird. (I’m sure he elaborated, but I can’t remember the specifics, which is maybe a good thing.)

"Up the Creek" is a good local, no-frills restaurant. (I think I had asked where the locals eat.)

Michael Jordan was a jerk. (Again, sorry that I can’t remember the reasoning for this sentiment!)

Hockey players are cool, and are happy to work with the kids as coaches.

Pete Rose demanded a new caddy because he hit a bad shot.

"Spanish Wells" was named for fresh water.

Pirates really operated in the area here, near Savannah and Charleston. Then would hide out in the Caribbean.

There is a "Gullah" culture and language in the area that was passed down through the descendants of former slaves. The language is a very literal what-you-hear language. For example, nearby Dafuskie Island is derived from the words "the first key". (I think I’ve since read some name origin stories that contradict this idea, but who knows.)

Here in South Carolina they have their own names for things based on how they look. For example, a cormorant is a "snakebird". An osprey is a "seahawk".

They have otters and minks. And some new critters have moved into the area: storks and armadillos. "Possums on the half-shell", he said. "The food that comes in its own bowl!"

This is the time of year that dolphins have their babies. They don’t mate for life.

The toll bridge won’t charge during an evacuation. So we have that going for us.

Some private communities on the island require that you belong to their golf club, but have reciprocity with some of the best courses around the world.

Some people on the island are just too rich. (I am not one of them, he didn’t have to say.) He told a story of a lady who put in a new marble bathroom estimated at around half-a-million, and then had it torn out. Then another story about a guy who tried different contractors, making attempts to keep his copper roof from patina-ing.

As you head out toward the ocean, there is a line dividing the big sharks from the smaller ones. The Hilton Head area is one of the largest breeding grounds for sharks.

…and that’s just the stuff I remembered to write down.

[URL="http://www.disboards.com/threads/keepin-it-on-the-downlow-country-at-hhi-i-begin-to-see-the-signs-pg-21.3309082/page-19#post-53085320"]Continued in next post[/URL]

Last edited:
This helicopter was conducting some kind of rescue exercises.

DSCF0130_zpsa444d931.jpg

Tony wanted to steer clear of it since they can generate a lot of static electricity.

DSCF0133_zps458d53eb.jpg

This is as close as we got to the Harbour Town Lighthouse. Even with spending a week on Hilton Head, we never made it out to see it by land. Maybe next time.

DSCF0132_zpseb55df37.jpg

Judy and our captain. My camera had taken a lot of spray!

DSCF0134_zps09a3759c.jpg

Tony announced that this was the farthest he’s ever gone before seeing a dolphin. We had a couple of quick sightings when we kind of chased after them but couldn’t find them anymore. We all said that we were just happy to be out on the water. We started to head back.

I believe this was Mike Messier’s house. It was way out at the end of an island.

DSCF0136_zps5fbc4154.jpg

DSCF0137_zpsd3ff0bbf.jpg

Here we are, zooming along. It was really hot today, so the other couple and Judy went under the shade to cool off. Baby Tommy, um, slipped into something more comfortable.

DSCF0139_zpsd646b1a2.jpg

Then we finally had a great dolphin sighting! A mother and baby.

DSCF0140_zps20fd35a7.jpg

DSCF0142_zps15494457.jpg

We followed them for quite a while. Another, bigger, excursion boat saw that we were following something and came over to give their guests a view also.

DSCF0148_zpsd8b81faa.jpg

I was able to get both mother and baby in this picture.

DSCF0153_zpscea6f025.jpg

DSCF0155_zps1556be22.jpg

DSCF0156_zps2ae8ce90.jpg

Some dolphin video

We followed these two for a while. I think Tony felt bad that we hadn’t really seen any dolphins until the excursion was almost over. I won’t say that Tony was late for his next group, but I’ll put it this way -- we got some great bonus time!

We really enjoyed being out on the water, and Tony was a great host and guide. The Dolphin Tour isn’t something we’d need to do every trip, but I’d definitely recommend it to first-timers or anyone just wanting to get out on the water for a little while.

Up next: Some more beach time
Link to next chapter

Last edited:
So - this update made me really miss HHI! I just love it there. It seems like all the locals have a bunch of stories to tell. Good for you for remembering to write all that down.

And I do believe that there is some serious wealth there. I saw yachts there like I have never seen any place else. It's just amazing that people own those like its no big deal.

I'm glad you finally got to see some dolphins. Did you think the dolphin cruise was worth it pricewise? I was under the impression that the Disney dolphin cruises were a little bit more expensive.

I did got to Harbourtown on my GF trip. The view from the top was really lovely. And if my memory serves me right, I had a pretty decent margarita there. :drinking1

Great update.

That baby is too cute.

That sure looks like you had a wonderful day. A nice relaxing day on the water with a guide and some dolphins.

Love the notes you took. :rotfl2: I take notes just like that, thinking I will know what I mean. That is of course if I can even read my notes. :rotfl:

Well, the timing on this was good. I've wrapped up my TR, updated my PTR and was going to delete subscriptions for threads that didn't look like they were going to be updated anymore and saw that you updated.

Nice photo tour of the entrance to the resort.

Michael Jordan a jerk? Hmmm....for some reason that doesn't surprise me (great basketball player but not a fan of the person). I'm surprised he didn't say that about Oprah as well.

Beautiful pictures as you ride the boat. That's a really great picture of you and Judy. :)

I'm so glad you found some dolphins and how nice of Tony to give you bonus time. And that's so cool you saw a momma and a baby.

Awww, baby dolphins! I swear Oprah has bought or looked at houses on every island in the world!

Jill in CO

Love the update! Given the super-cold weather we're dealing with right now, your pictures out on the water look wonderful!!!

Wow Glenn, I am seriously impressed with your memory for the shuttle times. Impressive. :rolleyes1 Did they have benches as well? I figure you would be the one to ask since you clearly have a photographic memory.

WOW... this guy is certainly a wealth of information. That is some impressive note taking. No way I would remember all that.

Really glad you got to see some dolphins on your dolphin tour. :thumbsup2

So - this update made me really miss HHI! I just love it there. It seems like all the locals have a bunch of stories to tell. Good for you for remembering to write all that down.

Good! It's a great time to be thinking warm thoughts!

Yes, they do. If I remember correctly, he was a transplant to the area but had been there 20+ years, so probably qualifies to be called a "local".

Yeah, I had to jot those notes down pretty quickly. I probably captured them that afternoon.

And I do believe that there is some serious wealth there. I saw yachts there like I have never seen any place else. It's just amazing that people own those like its no big deal.

I'll never know what that's like. Although I did win the Powerball last week. I bought 5 tickets and one had the Powerball. As in, the powerball. Worth $4. :)

I'm glad you finally got to see some dolphins. Did you think the dolphin cruise was worth it pricewise? I was under the impression that the Disney dolphin cruises were a little bit more expensive.

I didn't do any shopping around, so maybe there are cheaper options. But it was $45 and we went on member discount day, so got 10% off of that. I think it was definitely worth that.

I did got to Harbourtown on my GF trip. The view from the top was really lovely. And if my memory serves me right, I had a pretty decent margarita there. :drinking1

Do they serve in the lighthouse, or did you get it nearby?

Great update.

That baby is too cute.

Thanks.

He was really cute. I have a good picture of him, but I thought that maybe they wouldn't want me posting pictures without permission. I figured I could post the one I did since they're not really facing the camera. I was really tempted to post the other one though!

That sure looks like you had a wonderful day. A nice relaxing day on the water with a guide and some dolphins.

It was really nice. I'd much rather be doing that right now!

Love the notes you took. :rotfl2: I take notes just like that, thinking I will know what I mean. That is of course if I can even read my notes. :rotfl:

I did them on my phone this trip, so handwriting isn't the issue. For the Barbra Streisand story, I think he heard stuff about her through a restaurant manager friend of his, but I can't remember it to relay it.

Well, the timing on this was good. I've wrapped up my TR, updated my PTR and was going to delete subscriptions for threads that didn't look like they were going to be updated anymore and saw that you updated.

Sorry Kathy, I'm behind everywhere! But I do intend to finish this, so yeah, you may see a post every once in a while!

Nice photo tour of the entrance to the resort.

Now you know what it looks like! :thumbsup2

Michael Jordan a jerk? Hmmm....for some reason that doesn't surprise me (great basketball player but not a fan of the person). I'm surprised he didn't say that about Oprah as well.

I can't remember what the story was, if there really was one. But I imagine it's gotta be hard being that famous and people wanting something from you all the time.

Beautiful pictures as you ride the boat. That's a really great picture of you and Judy. :)

Aw, thanks!

I'm so glad you found some dolphins and how nice of Tony to give you bonus time. And that's so cool you saw a momma and a baby.

I bet he had to explain :blush: to the next people that we hadn't seen any dolphins until we were almost back to the resort and it was such a good sighting that he didn't want to tear us away.

Awww, baby dolphins!

That sure ups the "cute factor"!! ::yes::

I swear Oprah has bought or looked at houses on every island in the world!

She's probably bought several islands. Castaway Cay, Hilton Head, Manhattan, Great Britain, Australia...

Love the update! Given the super-cold weather we're dealing with right now, your pictures out on the water look wonderful!!!

I couldn't agree more Darla! Wish I was there right now. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter