Kathy and Ken Honeymoon at WL and GF - April 2013

Dr Ken

Don't want to "earn" my ears. I'm retired!
We're a little late on having our honeymoon but have lots of time to plan it.

Last April (2012), my then DFi was diagnosed with cancer and needed chemo-radiation plus surgery. A week later, I had a stroke and was hospitalized for two weeks. We missed our original wedding day while I was in the hospital but had a two-day window between when I got out of the hospital and before she started chemo. So, we got married! Clearly, neither of us was in any condition to have a honeymoon.

They say that when you're recovering from a major illness, it's important to focus on a future fun event. So, we've been focusing on having our delayed honeymoon just prior to our first anniversary. We should both be reasonably healthy by then.

We're booked for 4 nights in one of the honeymoon rooms in WL. (I understand that all four honeymoon rooms at WL are in CL and are on the top floor). After that, we're moving GL for 5 nights in CL. Our last day at WDW will be our first anniversary.

We've purchased a 7-day pass with both park-hopper and water-parks. We plan to attend whichever park has EMH in the morning or a water-park then retire to our room around noon. Depending on how ambitious we're feeling that day, we can head to another park, go mini-golfing, or just hang around our resort. Since we have no idea what our health will be, we decided to leave our options open. With all CL rooms, we're hoping to get the pampering we sorely need. With a 7-day pass, we can find plenty to do if we decide to.

Where else but WDW can know that you'll have a fun, memorable honeymoon without knowing how healthy you'll be??

BTW: We've been to WDW twice together and several times each before we met. So, we've got a pretty good idea of what will be available. I've been to the other parks (California, Tokyo, Paris but not yet HK).

I am so beyond thrilled for the two of you to finally be up to taking your honeymoon together! I am so sorry that you are both having to deal with this however. You are in my prayers and I look forward to reading along on your plans!

How wonderful that you will be able to take your honeymoon now. I hope you are treated like royalty and spoiled to the max. :goodvibes

pwdebbie said:
How wonderful that you will be able to take your honeymoon now. I hope you are treated like royalty and spoiled to the max. :goodvibes

Yes, that's our hope! <grin>

It sounds like the perfect future fun event to focus on! You are so right that you know you will have a good time regardless of what you do while you are at Disney. You've chosen 2 amazing resorts (GF is my favorite!) so I can't wait to read about your plans. It sounds like you deserve it!

Congrats on finally being able to going on your honeymoon! It sounds like a really fun trip. I hope it gives you the relaxation you need.

danceintherain said:
Congrats on finally being able to going on your honeymoon! It sounds like a really fun trip. I hope it gives you the relaxation you need.

Thanks! Planning this honeymoon will be our version of Dancing in the Rain!

Hey Dr Ken, you haven't posted for a long time. Are plans still coming along? I hope there haven't been any glitches.

pwdebbie said:
Hey Dr Ken, you haven't posted for a long time. Are plans still coming along? I hope there haven't been any glitches.

Thanks for your concern. We're still on target.

We're now PIF. I've pre-ordered FP+; bought airline tickets; bought cheap disposable rain ponchos; etc. I've contacted Staples for specifics about getting our favorite water bottles delivered to WL.

The snow is finally clearing here in RI. We're trying to get outdoors walking everyday to get in shape for lots of walking at WDW.

Not much to do now but wait. 45 days to go!

Yay, glad all is ok. I've been doing more walking but dh is having a flare up of his autoimmune disease and hasn't had the energy. He always bounces back, so I hope this is short-lived and he'll be ready for WDW in five weeks.

We've finally completed our ADRs!

As you can see, we've left a lot of unplanned time to relax and enjoy our honeymoon. We've been to WDW many times and plan to return many more times. So, we're not worried about missing anything.

Here's our detailed plans:

Wednesday, April 24
Flight from Providence to Orlando
ME bus to Wilderness Lodge (WL)
Afternoon: Mini-golf, DQ and/or DTD
Dinner: Artist Point (at WL)
Evening: Settling in at WL

Thursday, April 25
Morning: MK (arrive in time for EMH)
Lunch: Crystal Palace
Afternoon & Evening: Free

Friday, April 26
Morning: Wilderness Back Trail Adventure via segway in Fort Wilderness
Afternoon: AK
Evening: Watch Wishes in MK from AAA reserved seating area

Saturday, April 27
Morning: HS (arrive for RD)
Lunch: Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater
Afternoon and Evening: Free

Sunday, April 28
Check-out of WL
Morning: Typhoon Lagoon
Afternoon: Free
Super: Grand Floridian Café
Evening: Settling in at GF

Monday, April 29
Morning: AK (arrive in time for EMH)
Lunch: Tusker House buffet (in AK)
Afternoon: Free
Supper: Rose and Crown and watch Illuminations

Tuesday, April 30
Morning: Epcot (arrive in time for EMH)
Lunch: Le Cellier (EP)
Afternoon & Evening: Free

Wednesday, May 1
Morning: Blizzard Beach
Late Lunch: Tonys Town Square watching Dreams Come True parade
Evening: MK

Thursday, May 2
Morning: MK (arrive in time for EMH)
Lunch: Be Our Guest (in new Fantasyland)
Supper: Brown Derby and Fantasmic

Friday, May 3
Morning: Check-out and ME bus to Orlando
Flight from Orlando to Providence

Hi,

We're back from our honeymoon! Had a delightful time.

It's a good thing we planned a very light and flexible schedule. My DW only had enough stamina for about 5 hours per day.

We only made it to rope drop once but never had long lines. We only used FP twice. Most lines were <15 minutes.

We missed all 4 parades and all 3 evening fireworks shows because she was always exhausted be 2pm.

Nonetheless, we had a great time and hated coming back to the real world!

Thanks for all your support!

My husband had stamina issues also. Very grateful for the GAC. He was able to handle about two or three park hours and a meal (morning) and meal and two park hours (evening). We stuck it out one night in order to see Fantasmic. And we made rope drop twice. We spent every afternoon in the room with him trying to nap but there was a lot of noise so he didn't get the rest he needed. I can't say with 100% certainty that this is our last trip together, but that is the way I am leaning. We didn't see Wishes or Illuminations or any parades. But still it was nice to take a break from the cold weather here in PA and be in the place where everyone (well, almost everyone) is happy.

Hi,

We're back from our honeymoon! Had a delightful time.

It's a good thing we planned a very light and flexible schedule. My DW only had enough stamina for about 5 hours per day.

We only made it to rope drop once but never had long lines. We only used FP twice. Most lines were <15 minutes.

We missed all 4 parades and all 3 evening fireworks shows because she was always exhausted be 2pm.

Nonetheless, we had a great time and hated coming back to the real world!

Thanks for all your support!

Ken, question.

What kind of coffee pots are in the rooms at WL? Are they Keurig-style coffee pots? Something else?

Ken, question.

What kind of coffee pots are in the rooms at WL? Are they Keurig-style coffee pots? Something else?

We had a Cuisinart that accepts only "pods" both at WL and GF. My DW says they made better coffee that what was available in the club lounge.

Neither lodge had a machine that takes K-cups.

We had a Cuisinart that accepts only "pods" both at WL and GF. My DW says they made better coffee that what was available in the club lounge.

Neither lodge had a machine that takes K-cups.

Thanks for the info Ken!

If I vaguely remember, I think Sears sells the coffee pods for the Cuisinart coffee makers you described; I'll have to look.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter