Just Watched "Disneyland '59"

ransom

DIS Veteran
A few weeks ago, I bought the Walt Disney Treasures DVD, "Your Host, Walt Disney" even though several reviewers had found it lacking. I like and admire Walt, and wanted to see some of the key Disneyland/Wonderful World of Color/Wonderful World of Disney episodes he hosted.

We've only watched the first DVD, which as three episodes, but I can see why folks have complained about it. Certainly 50s TV was very different from what we're used to today! But we enjoyed the episode on trains, showing Walt's Carolwood Pacific back-yard railroad and several railroad-related cartoons. The anniversary episode wasn't very entertaining, but the Disneyland 59 episode was a lot of fun!

That's when the monorail, the matterhorn, and the subs ride all premiered. The show features a parade, lots of celebrities and politicians (including Richard M. Nixon!), and of course Walt himself. It was fun to see when those famous attractions were brand new, and being introduced to a national audience that, by then, knew Disneyland wasn't "Walt's Folly" like so many had thought it would be back in '55. Plus the Kodak ads are preserved, including the one with Ozzie and Harriet. :)

If you're a Disney junkie, you might want to check this out. Again, keep in mind that it's from the 50s, so you're not going to get MTV style quick cuts or lots of action. But there's plenty of stuff there for the nostalgic and Disney history buffs. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts