Just Used the Dining Plan and DVC

TAKitty

<font color=green>I will make it work with the one
I am just now back having used the new DVC dining plan. It worked fine except some of the cart people were not used to what the card says "DVC MBR/Dine". Some were unsure if this was the same dining plan. Luckly, a more experienced CM was usually around and told them that it was the same. I was surprised to find that before I purchased something the CM would look at the card to see if it said dining plan. He or she would then tell me what was on the plan or wasn't.

We are considering the dining plan. How much was the cost for an adult per day? I have heard that it includes tax and gratuity. Is this true?

NHmouse said:
We are considering the dining plan. How much was the cost for an adult per day? I have heard that it includes tax and gratuity. Is this true?

It's $37.99 per adult per day. Yes, it does include tax and gratuity.

Everything went smoothly. Probably the only rough edge is that there is no 'rule book' on the plan.....just a list of the restaurants and other locations where it can be used....the issues of sides/desserts/etc are a little vague but a relatively minor inconvenience compared to the value you receive. After taking out the 6.5% tax and 18% gratuity it means you would only have to buy $30 of food before it is a breakeven proposition.

Thanks so much for a first hand account! I just signed up for the DDP for September-hopefully by then the CMs will be more used to seeing it. I've got two questions if you don't mind-
1. Did you use the DDP at BC Marketplace and if so, what did you buy?
2. Did you get any snacks other than bottled water, popcorn, or ice cream, and if so, what/where?

I used it at BC Marketplace and could get salads and such for lunch. They have a nice selection, but I wouldn't eat there all the time. For a snack I was able to get a frozen lemonaid at Epcot. For the most part, we used the snack credits for water. When you go to order a drink or snack, most places have a small square next to the item that indicates that it is included on the meal plan.

I was able to use it for a cookie at Roaring Forks at WLV and I believe the Fritos products also qualify as a snack.

TAKitty said:
I used it at BC Marketplace and could get salads and such for lunch. They have a nice selection, but I wouldn't eat there all the time. For a snack I was able to get a frozen lemonaid at Epcot.

Where in EPCOT did you get a frozen lemonade for a snack credit? I have been to WDW twice on DD and frozen cokes and lemonades were never included as a snack in any of the parks. :Pinkbounc I'm a frozen cokeaholic :Pinkbounc TIA

SpoonfulofSugar said:
Where in EPCOT did you get a frozen lemonade for a snack credit? I have been to WDW twice on DD and frozen cokes and lemonades were never included as a snack in any of the parks. :Pinkbounc I'm a frozen cokeaholic :Pinkbounc TIA

I got it at a snack cart. It is the Minute Maid Soft Frozen Lemonade in a cup with a lid. I got it on my way to the countrys. I believe you can get frozen coke at MGM. I could also get a smoothie at Le Cellier for dinner as my main drink.

I'm gonna call and sign up today for our trip in May. I'm sure some of the uncertainty will be worked out by then

Last year the snacks where used at the boths at F&W. I'm using my snacks there this year.

I gotta ask...did you find yourself feeling like you just had to eat. What concerns me is I will be spending my whole time eating and not really enjoying it. Last time at VWL, I saw this lady using her last days dinig plan buying HUGE amounts of rice krispees. It seemed really odd herhaving to force that much of a purchase knowing it would probably go to waste.

Now mind, I love some good food and WDW is definitely a place to get good food. But we find ourselves eating one good meal a day. If you dont mind sharing your thoughts, it would be much appreciated.

jimmytammy, I was wondering the same thing. It's a good value, and I feel certain we could "get our money's worth" but I can also picture us just snacking ourselves silly through F&W and not being hungry enough to fully enjoy a TS.

You experienced Food & Wine-rs ... What are some of the selections from the kiosks that everyone talks about?

Any info will be super helpful!

I've heard of people just getting everything they're entitled to and just giving it away on their last day. Any truth to this?

jimmytammy said:
I gotta ask...did you find yourself feeling like you just had to eat. What concerns me is I will be spending my whole time eating and not really enjoying it. Last time at VWL, I saw this lady using her last days dinig plan buying HUGE amounts of rice krispees. It seemed really odd herhaving to force that much of a purchase knowing it would probably go to waste.

Now mind, I love some good food and WDW is definitely a place to get good food. But we find ourselves eating one good meal a day. If you dont mind sharing your thoughts, it would be much appreciated.

Well it couldn't have been ME since I did that at SSR!

We had 8 people in our party, including 4 kids, and we still didn't use up all our snack credits by the end of our trip. So I went and purchased 20~ rice krispie treats. We only have one left in our pantry.. hmm I think I may go eat it now!

Well, for us it was the snack credits that kept piling up in December (I did a discounted package with extended family--not enough points and I didn't want to borrow). It wasn't that hot so it didn't work out to use for water as I had hoped it would. Many of the snacks we liked were not included--dole whips, pastries in France, etc. So on the last day we did have 10 snack credits left. Not really a big deal, we picked up some rice crispy treats, big grab bags of chips and a few waters for the plane ride. As far as running form place to place to eat it really woan't like that on this plan. We had one ADR for each day and beyond that we just did what we wanted wherever we wanted to. If any of us didn't want a component of the meal it just was not ordered--no big deal if someone didn't want an appetizer or dessert. We still felt there was value in the plan for our eating style (breakfast in the villa, lunch at CS wherever we were and a planned dinner). I figure even if we didn't use the snack credits at all we still were better than a breakeven. There is something nice about paying once and not having to worry about things. When all was said and done it amounted to about a 40% savings--we did not go into the plan with a hope to maximize it and we ate as we normally would have so I could determine if the plan would be a good choice for us if/when offered to DVC. I am excited that we are able to use it and glad to see that the glitches with it are little and should quickly work out.

We are using the Dining Plan this August. It just made sense to us since we love eating at good TS restuarants each night and grabbing CS for lunch. About having "leftover" snack credits: is it just us or do other folks have kids who beg for a popsicle or drink after one maybe two rides (if we are luckly)? Our kids dream about the ice cream treats all year long :yay: I have a feeling we will be leaving WDW with negative snack credits :rotfl2: princess: My princess tomboy pirate: My pirate buddy

DH and I were down last year for F&W. We became DVC members on that trip, so we were staying at Wilderness Lodge with the "free dining" of last year. Personally, I thought it was too much food. I simply am not used to eating an appetizer and a main course and a dessert. The few times that we did that, I felt like I was going to explode :furious:
My DH hates having a schedule, which means no ADR's. I did make two before our trip. We did use all of TS credits. We checked in at WL at 2 pm, so we were able to get into Whispering Canyon without an ADR. And we ate at the Maya Grill one morning for breakfast with an ADR that we made the day before. We also used 2 TS credits at Mama Melrose's for the Fantasmic Package. But Guest Services at each park had a sign up that said there was limited or no availability for TS dining.
We used most of our snack credits at the F&W stands. There was at least 1 sample at each stand that was "snack eligible" Sadly, I can't remember which ones.
We saw several people stocking up on Mickey Rice Krispie ttreats to take home. We used our last counter service meals to buy sandwiches for the wait at the airport.
In my humble opionion, the DDP is great if you eat at multiple character meals, and are willing to make ADR's. We used most of our TS credits outside of the park itself (Whispering Canyon, Maya Grill, Big River Grille) and you could do that without too much pre-planning.

jimmytammy said:

I used all of our snack credits early. I like to drink water, so I wish we had more snacks actually. We left with 3 counter and 2 tables left and we still saved money on the plan! I am usually one meal a day and a snack or two for the other meals. It was a lot of food but I still feel it was worth it.

Thanks. I think you answered several folks ??s regarding this concern :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter