Just one hour...

I agree, it would be very nice to have time that we can enjoy a guaranteed quiet lounge - but even then you'll get the occasional party of exceptionally loud groups.

While it might be nice to encourage those with rowdy children to send them off to bed, I disagree with making this a formal policy. There's just too many sticky spots. Two in particular:

1 - How does one define 'adults'? Per Disney Ticket sales, they're anyone age 10 and over. (Granted this is a bar and not a theme park we're talking about.) But I have known 5 year olds who are perfectly content to sit quietly with a coloring book for hours on end and 15 year olds who simply are not able to focus, stay still and not instigate problems.

2 - Who's job will it be to 'card' for children and tell folk with kids to leave?

I think it's just best to clue in families with rambunctious kids that their kids are out of control. If it's that bad, the staff should make the call. It really should have nothing to do with age.

I do believe the old school teacher would have come out of me and told those children to go back to their parents and settle down.

Parents need to parent their children.

My kids are always mortified because I have no problem bringing out the old school teacher in me. I will not tolerate bad behavior from my own children and will not from others as well. I am always polite but firm. We were at McDonalds a while back and there was a table of middle schoolers(what I used to teach) swearing up a storm. I walked over to them and told them that type of behavior in public was not OK and they needed to think about the other people around them. Two of the three politely apologized and they all stopped. That's why I always get asked to chaparone field trips - the teachers know I have a great time with the kids and keep them in line.

While it would be nice to have adult only times at certain locations, WDW is perceived and marketed as a family vacation spot. Children are random creatures ( yes I have several but had them late if life so I appreciate both perspectives) that are prone to bursts of crazy behavior, even when they are actively 'parented'. If you want an adult vacation on your own terms then WDW may not, by its own nature, be the place. Just is. While parents have different standards, some parents may elect to let the kids have their own fun too. It's not so different than business travelers attending a conference at WDW and being drunk/loud. They are having their fun too, so do we restrict adults from bars? Or the beaches? I like WDW a lot and have just learned to roll with it and appreciate how others choose to have fun even if I disagree with it. The slippery slope is an avalanche of rules that are sure of offend everyone. Enough about people's parenting standards lets go after the people who smoke outside of designated smoking areas ( just kidding )

I agree with the OP that there should be adult only time at TOWL but I completely disagree with this poster who thinks the beach should be quiet. If you have a noisy nine year old that needs to burn off steam, where do you go? I think the parents made a good choice taking this kid to the beach so he could run around and play pirates and not bother the people in the room next door to theirs. Was the poster even a guest at the Poly? I'm guessing no since this is on a DVC board. So you go to a hotel that you aren't staying in, into a public area like a beach and then complain because kids are noisy and running around? Really? That's what beaches are for.

Letting off steam and screaming at the top of ones lungs until the throat sounds raw are two completely different things. I raised a son, a very hyper child at that too. The behavior I witnessed was detrimental to this child's throat. As a parent, stepping in would be my first priority for my kids throat and well being. You had to be there. I would have never allowed my child to contine for anywhere as long as this did for his own well being as we'll as respect for other children (whom he was scaring to tears) and the adults around them as well. Who's to say they were guests there??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter