Just off the Magic

Thanks a lot! The sky explorer was the one I wasn't sure about, because not many people talked about it, but I am glad we chose it now.

I never noticed a crowd for any activity while I was there, but there were a lot of people there. I would say it was busy, but not crowded. I don't remember how many ships were in Cozumel that day, so I'm unsure if that's normal, or just a benefit of going in November.

Thanks for the helpful info and for answering our questions!

We were on the Magic 11/2 cruise and I am sad to read you didn't get to dock on CC :( oh my goodness :( We had unusually good weather our week, I know it is just the luck of the draw.

I also went on the Fantasy once and now after experiencing both I only want to sail on the Magic, I liked everything about it more and i think my boys did too. I only did the aqua duck once, it was a little too intense for me, lol. I know you didn't get to dock at CC, but with 1400 less people it's a completely different experience.

Thanks a lot! The sky explorer was the one I wasn't sure about, because not many people talked about it, but I am glad we chose it now.

You're welcome. With a 4-year old, I really felt this was a great excursion. If my kids were a little older, I may have tried to add on the zip line or bobsled (which are also at Mystic Mountain), but everyone in our family enjoyed the sky explorer and lunch provided.

We were on the Magic 11/2 cruise and I am sad to read you didn't get to dock on CC :( oh my goodness :( We had unusually good weather our week, I know it is just the luck of the draw.

I also went on the Fantasy once and now after experiencing both I only want to sail on the Magic, I liked everything about it more and i think my boys did too. I only did the aqua duck once, it was a little too intense for me, lol. I know you didn't get to dock at CC, but with 1400 less people it's a completely different experience.

Thanks Hillbeans. I agree it's just luck sometimes. We still had a great cruise, and always enjoy visiting new places (all ports were new to our family).

We were looking forward to the smaller crowd on Castaway Cay (and shorter lines on Pelican Plunge).

So glad you had a great time! Was this your first cruise? If not, what was the CC gift? Thanks!

we are also going to playa mia in feb. should we bring our own pail/shovel/sand toys or do they provide that for you? tia!

My DD16 and I are going on the 7 day in Feb. I am a veteran Carnival cruiser. Can you tell me what the "semi-formal" night is? How is it different from "formal" night? What is the dress code on Disney, again I am familiar with Carnival.

Thanks!!

My DD16 and I are going on the 7 day in Feb. I am a veteran Carnival cruiser. Can you tell me what the "semi-formal" night is? How is it different from "formal" night? What is the dress code on Disney, again I am familiar with Carnival.

Thanks!!

For the most part, on DCL, there's really not much distinction between "formal" and "semi-formal". (In real life I think formal usually refers to long gowns and dinner dress, while semi-formal is cocktail dress and suits)

From the DCL website:

Q:What should I wear to dinner?
A:The dress code for dinner varies by the venue or theme night of your cruise. In general, most meals are "cruise casual"—no swimwear or tank tops. Most cruises also have special theme nights with optional opportunities to get dressed up for a special family photo. Here's a breakdown of events by cruise itinerary:

On 3-night cruises:
•One cruise casual night—No swimwear or tank tops
•One pirate or tropical night (deck party)
•One "optional dress-up night"—jacket for men, dress or pantsuit for women

On 4-night cruises:
•First night is cruise casual—no swimwear or tank tops
•One pirate or tropical night (deck party)
•One optional dress-up night—jacket for men, and dress or pantsuit for women
•Final night is cruise casual—no swimwear or tank tops

On 7-night cruises:
•First night is cruise casual—no swimwear or tank tops
•One themed night (pirate, tropical or other themed deck party)
•3 additional cruise casual nights—no swimwear or tank tops
•One formal and one semi-formal night—two great opportunities to dress-up and take advantage of the onboard photography services. Though optional, we recommend: Dress pants with a jacket or a suit for men, and dress or pantsuit for women

Dress code at Palo:
•Men: Dress pants and dress shirt (a jacket is optional)
•Women: Dress or pantsuit
•No jeans, shorts, capri pants, flip-flops or tennis shoes

Dress code at Remy:
•Men: Dress pants with jacket (sports or suit jacket) is required—ties are optional.
•Women: A dress, cocktail dress, pantsuit or skirt/blouse is required
•No jeans, shorts, capri pants, flip-flops or tennis shoes

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/planning-center/my-cruise-plans/faqs/onboard-dining/dining-attire/

All that being said, DCL does not enforce any sort of dress code (beyond the "no swimwear or tank tops" thing), except in Remy and Palo. You'll see everything from long gowns to shorts (yes, even on formal night) in the dining room.

How do I know if it is Pirate or not? I would like to dress appropriately. lol

How do I know if it is Pirate or not? I would like to dress appropriately. lol

The daily Navigator will say what the dress is for the day/evening. And, for pirate night, you'll not get away from all the reminders during the daytime for that night.

So is it always Pirate and not another theme? Too late to bring proper attire if it isn't. lol

So glad you had a great time! Was this your first cruise? If not, what was the CC gift? Thanks!

I'm the op's wife and am posting on our drive home from the airport :)

This was our 3rd cruise and the cc gift was a silver bag. On our last cruise we got a bookbag that had other stuff in it like a keychain and snacks, but all we got this time was the bag. It's very nice though.

we are also going to playa mia in feb. should we bring our own pail/shovel/sand toys or do they provide that for you? tia!

I don't think those are provided - at least we never saw them but we spent most of our time at the kids' pool area. There is a little shop on the beach and I saw sand toys in there for sale, so you do have the option to buy if you would prefer to not bring from home.

Thanks!!

A previous answer was spot-on in saying that Disney does not enforce formal and semi-formal night. In fact, I would say a large percentage do not take part in either night, and continue to wear what they do on any other night of the cruise.

While a few men would wear a tuxedo on formal night, I do not go that route. On formal night, I wear a suit jacket. On semi-formal night, I go without the jacket (but still wear a tie). So the best answer is that you should feel free to wear what makes sense for you and your family on these nights.

There are good photo opportunities on these nights, as well (in front of the atrium stairs and at dinner).

I usually wear a dress to dinner, maybe nice slacks and blouse. On formal nights I wear a dressier dress, heels etc. That was my plan for DCL as well. I don't dress up often at home and like to when on a cruise. I know DD will as well.

Robin"D";52678721 said:
There are Pirate Nights on the Alaskan Cruises, just no fireworks

Robin & Angel "D" :thumbsup2

When is Pirate night? I can't find it on any of the recent Navigators.

I believe that they did do Pirate night initially (on the first Alaskan cruises), but have replaced it with the Pixar Party.

That is correct as "Pirates In Alaska" didn't work out so well an fireworks are prohibited. So: no pirates In the Caribbean in Alaska...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter