Just off 3-night Dream 2/9-2/12

I can certainly understand wanting to take advantage of cruises sailing from ports that are close to you. Since there are no cruise ships sailing from the Illinois prairie, they all require a flight or a long drive! :teeth:

I would also prefer to cruise more often than save for an expensive cabin or cruise ship - so I book cheap cabins on various cruise lines.

There weren't any cruise ports when we lived in Ohio, either :rotfl2: Darn if DCL would just sail out of the Port of Tampa - I'd be platinum status before you know it :rotfl:

There weren't any cruise ports when we lived in Ohio, either :rotfl2: Darn if DCL would just sail out of the Port of Tampa - I'd be platinum status before you know it :rotfl:

My first cruise was on HAL out of Port Canaveral, but my second cruise was on Royal Caribbean out of Tampa. I loved that cruise, and we didn't have any rough seas leaving from Tampa as I've usually had leaving from PC.

One more thing~

By reading the boards, I expected to see everyone wearing shorts and jeans to the dining rooms. I have to say, DH & I were plesently surprised on the attire of the guests - most people looked great and dressed accordingly. Even the 4 year old at our table had on a dress shirt and a jacket at dinner on the last night (optional dress up night)!

We were on your same cruise, and I agree with your observations as well. After some of the last 3-night reports, I was worried about the crowds. But our situation was helped, I think, by the fact that we didn't take the kids this time (way too much work for just a long weekend! ;)), and therefore didn't put ourselves in the way of the crowds. We didn't see any shows, or spend time in any pool, other than quiet cove.

We haven't yet decided on big ship vs smaller ship preference. We booked a Fantasy cruise on this trip, and figured we'd reserve judgement for when we take the kids. We were really surprised at how different the family experience was on the Wonder from the adult-only experience on the Dream.

Our only major let-down (which was obviously not Disney's fault) was the weather. That last night was crazy choppy. We spent the evening in evolutions, and between the drinks, and the ship rocking, it was especially entertaining to attempt to be on the dance floor. :rotfl2:

Looking forward to your trip report. We will be doing a 3nt at the end of April. We have not done a short trip like this so I was truly concered after reading some of the post about the 3nts.

How was the Aquaduck? I really want to try it but so worried of getting stuck. I have an issue with being inclosed in the tubes.

Also we are taking our DD who is 9 and she knows at the sail away party they have passed out the sticks with ribbons on them. Are they still doing that would like to prepare her now? She is disappointed that they are not doing the old sail away party but someone told her they will still play some of those songs after the new sailaway show is over. Do you know if that is true.

It's sad that my 9 yr old has expectations at this age:rotfl:

Thanks for your help

Looking forward to your trip report. We will be doing a 3nt at the end of April. We have not done a short trip like this so I was truly concered after reading some of the post about the 3nts.

How was the Aquaduck? I really want to try it but so worried of getting stuck. I have an issue with being inclosed in the tubes.

Also we are taking our DD who is 9 and she knows at the sail away party they have passed out the sticks with ribbons on them. Are they still doing that would like to prepare her now? She is disappointed that they are not doing the old sail away party but someone told her they will still play some of those songs after the new sailaway show is over. Do you know if that is true.

It's sad that my 9 yr old has expectations at this age:rotfl:

Thanks for your help

Well, my DD will be 5 next month and has expectations, so I completely understand. She actually got in trouble for acting like a brat because she was complaining about going on a 3-night cruise instead of a 7-night. Sheesh.

Anyways, we did receive the streamer sticks. We don't have the Sail Away party memorized, because once we hear the ships horn and we pull away from the docks, we call the grandparents and get in view of the Port Canaveral web cam :goodvibes

The Aquaduck was "meh" - it was fun, but not ground-breaking earth shattering and not worth more than a 10-15 min wait for us. It starts out fast, and then slows down while going around deck. We rode it Nassau day while we were docked. I would like to try it again out at sea and at night, though. DH & I rode it one time each; DD is too short - she has about 1" to go to hit the 42" mark to ride with us. I think Crush n' Gusher at Typhoon Lagoon is more fun and way faster, but we are spoiled and have the FL resident after 2pm water park passes, so it's not a novelty to us. Now, will I still ride it? Yes. I am not complaining, just giving my honest opinion. You will not catch me waiting 30-45-60+ minutes for it :scared1:

I am also glad to see another positive review of the Dream 3 night as your experience was similar to ours.

We actually like that their was a stairwell/elevator that came up into Cabanas as it saved us having to walk through the pool area to get there. Much more convenient. If you don't want to come up into Cabanas, its easy to just take the mid ship elevator. I think the new design makes perfect sense, having never been on the classic ships.

I was also worried about getting stuck, but its not even really possible. It would be hard to even intentionally tip your raft over.

1. The Tube is WAY bigger around than it looks. My DH is 6'4 and he didn't come close to hitting his head on the top.

2. The water flows, you don't really slide as much as you are being pushed, more like a slightly faster lazy river.

3. To me, who hates enclosed spaces, the only scary parts were the 2 open air sections, because that is where you go faster and it seems like you will hit your head but its higher than it looks.

4. I was afraid of the part that "goes over the edge of the boat" as I am afraid of heighs. Great news--you can't look down. Its so humid in there you cant see out much and if you look down the raft blocks most of your view.

I am terrified of water slides, but I tried it and loved it.

Well, my DD will be 5 next month and has expectations, so I completely understand. She actually got in trouble for acting like a brat because she was complaining about going on a 3-night cruise instead of a 7-night. Sheesh.

Anyways, we did receive the streamer sticks. We don't have the Sail Away party memorized, because once we hear the ships horn and we pull away from the docks, we call the grandparents and get in view of the Port Canaveral web cam :goodvibes

The Aquaduck was "meh" - it was fun, but not ground-breaking earth shattering and not worth more than a 10-15 min wait for us. It starts out fast, and then slows down while going around deck. We rode it Nassau day while we were docked. I would like to try it again out at sea and at night, though. DH & I rode it one time each; DD is too short - she has about 1" to go to hit the 42" mark to ride with us. I think Crush n' Gusher at Typhoon Lagoon is more fun and way faster, but we are spoiled and have the FL resident after 2pm water park passes, so it's not a novelty to us. Now, will I still ride it? Yes. I am not complaining, just giving my honest opinion. You will not catch me waiting 30-45-60+ minutes for it :scared1:

Thank you for the report. May I ask for details on how to get in view of the web cam?
Thanks!

How was the boat on Nassau Day? We went on the Magic for a 4 nighter and stayed on the boat in Nassau, I mean how many times can you go see Nassau, any way we are going on a 4 nighter and are thinking of staying on the Dream at Nassau again

OMG that was my DD reply when I said a 3nt and not a 7nt. Sounds like they are a pair we are at the parks just about every weekend because we are so close. I won't wait in long lines at all I'm spoiled with being so close the parks that I refuse. I always say we can come back another day. We don't have the water park passes I have them for shhh one of the other parks. But DD uses it more than me with friends.

Well thanks for help truly appreciate it.

We had nice table mates who dined with us 2 out of the 3 nights, and they were clueless on tipping.......They went to Guest Services and asked how to tip in the Main DR for 2 nights and then went up to Cabanas to find the server to tip they had the other night & Guest Services DID NOT explain how to tip to him. He was a smart reasonable guy, and I explained to him how it goes, but he had already done it. He said, "Why didn't GS explain it to me that way?"

How does the tipping go?:confused3 I would have done the same thing. Please explain the proper way to deal with this type of situation. I would not want to make a tipping mistake. :sad2:

Our only major let-down (which was obviously not Disney's fault) was the weather. That last night was crazy choppy.

That was NOTHING compared to our last night on the Magic (Oct 7th to be exact). I will admit, I felt the movement more on the Dream than ever before. It doesn't bother me, but I was aware.

Thank you for the report. May I ask for details on how to get in view of the web cam?
Thanks!

We just stand on Deck 12 in front of one of the stacks. It seems to work out better when we are in front of the first stack.

How was the boat on Nassau Day? We went on the Magic for a 4 nighter and stayed on the boat in Nassau, I mean how many times can you go see Nassau, any way we are going on a 4 nighter and are thinking of staying on the Dream at Nassau again

It was fine for us, but we are early birds, so we tend to miss crowds. DD spent from 9-11am at the Mickey pool. It definitely got busy around Noon.

OMG that was my DD reply when I said a 3nt and not a 7nt. Sounds like they are a pair we are at the parks just about every weekend because we are so close. I won't wait in long lines at all I'm spoiled with being so close the parks that I refuse. I always say we can come back another day. We don't have the water park passes I have them for shhh one of the other parks. But DD uses it more than me with friends.

Well thanks for help truly appreciate it.

We do the "Water Parks after 2pm" pass because it's so cheap. We normally do not like going anywhere late, but we couldn't pass it up for the cost. I work weekends, so we typically go like every other Friday or so. It any attraction line is longer than 20 minutes, forget it :lmao:

How does the tipping go?:confused3 I would have done the same thing. Please explain the proper way to deal with this type of situation. I would not want to make a tipping mistake. :sad2:

You are just suppose to tip your main dining room team whether you are there or not and apparently this covers all of your meals served everywhere, no matter where you ate (except for Palo & Remy).

How was the weather? Was the ocean too cold to get in?

Short answer: yes, the ocean was too cold to get it.

Longer answer: We are from Tampa, so honestly, we didn't plan on going in the water at CC; we knew it would be too cold for us. DD did get in, but not for long and kids don't care :rotfl:

The weather was in the 70s at Nassau and at CC. It was pleasant.

That was NOTHING compared to our last night on the Magic (Oct 7th to be exact). I will admit, I felt the movement more on the Dream than ever before. It doesn't bother me, but I was aware.

It didn't bother us either - I guess we'd gotten our "sea legs" by then. But DH did get up at one point before falling completely asleep and take down all of the hangers from the closet. They were making enough noise to prevent us from getting to sleep - and after all of the thunder and lightning from the night before, we were desperate for a better night's sleep.

SilverFox - did you stay at Country Inn and Suites the night before? I asked a cute little girl in the hot tub where she was from and she said Tampa.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter