Just Hold On, We're Going Home...All 11 of Us Are Going to Mickeystoontown's Home! Update 10/27

I can't wait for the new version either! We skipped it in December, and in June I did it alone. We had the front row center and while I was very excited, my boyfriend is terrified of heights and hopped off at the last second. I don't blame him! I don't like heights either but for some reason I'm okay with this. In 2010 I did Soarin' over California in California Adventure and while I'd already seen it at WDW it was neat to see it in CA!

I have problems on Soarin but maybe if I look to the side like you. I just kept feeling like I would fall because my feet were just hanging there. I wish there was a foot rest. looking forward to new version when we go in Feb.

ok, dumb question...
Did you do a report with a tooth playing a major part?

Oh, I cannot wait for the new Soarin this fall! I just love that ride. I had to talk Charity into going on it the first time, because she has a fear of heights. Thankfully, she likes is pretty well now. With so many closures elsewhere on property, it will be great to experience something new!

This is a crazy random and non Disney related at all :) but you will know the answer lol. When we were in West Monroe for a wedding you recommended we eat at Cotton's and we did and it was amazing. My cousin & I were just talking about it and I was wondering if it was still in business?

Oh, I cannot wait for the new Soarin this fall! I just love that ride. I had to talk Charity into going on it the first time, because she has a fear of heights. Thankfully, she likes is pretty well now. With so many closures elsewhere on property, it will be great to experience something new!
I just love your name...thats the name of my Wedding flower business...we have great taste! :)

Ah, Soarin'! I missed it so much when we were there in January but like you I can't wait to see the new version. I'm actually scared of heights myself but for some reason Soarin' doesn't bother me at all.

If we are on the first row of Soarin' I feel weird and my fear kicks in. If I'm further down, then it's not so bad.

Im sure Pirates of the Caribbean being open this year will pacify the kids that Soarin will be closed...it kinda wasnt the same without Pirates last year...still sad about Soarin :(

Awww, I hate it when our favorites are closed during our trips. But, at least you'll get to see Pirates this time.

I have problems on Soarin but maybe if I look to the side like you. I just kept feeling like I would fall because my feet were just hanging there. I wish there was a foot rest. looking forward to new version when we go in Feb.

You should try looking to the side during the portions that make you feel weird. That's what I do and it sure does help.

ok, dumb question...
Did you do a report with a tooth playing a major part?

Wellllllllll, if it weren't true, then yes it would be weird. But, I did write that report! I lost my front crown while in The Electric Umbrella. We still talk about that to this day.

I love Soarin and even my fear of heights can't keep me from experiencing it.

This is a crazy random and non Disney related at all :) but you will know the answer lol. When we were in West Monroe for a wedding you recommended we eat at Cotton's and we did and it was amazing. My cousin & I were just talking about it and I was wondering if it was still in business?

Hey lady! Yep, it is still open and flourishing. Are y'all coming back this way again?

I just love your name...thats the name of my Wedding flower business...we have great taste! :)

Wedding flowers!?! I didn't know that you did that.

Axe-ually we didn't go straight to France!

I'll admit this right here and now....I'm about to be a cheater. A cheater cheater pumpkin eater. Eew, that's gross. I don't like pumpkin. Cheater cheater Dole Whip eater! Yeah, that's a lot better. I love Dole Whips. I wrote an article for a website which went into great detail. Today, I'm going to cheat and copy some of the info from the article here. Of course, in the article, I had to sound all professional and stuff so it's written in a different tone than here. I share more pictures here.

So, we are on our way to France and John's napping place when we notice that there's a lumberjack show starting soon. Coolarama! We'd never seen the show and we all like that kind of stuff so we found a spot to sit nearby and waited. When will I leave not to hand over a camera to Hunter?

DSCF1045 (768x1024).jpg

As you can see, we were to the right of the stage but I certainly wasn't going to stand where those idi...those other Guests were standing. Anybody who has ever seen a lumberjack show knows that there's log rolling and splashing involved.

DSCF1044 (1024x768).jpg

About ten minutes after we arrived, the emcee took the Mill Stage and began to introduce the cast to the Guests and did a great job explaining each of the events in which the men would be competing. He also included some good-natured ribbing which made the competition between the crew even more lively.

DSCF1046 (1024x768).jpg

DSCF1047 (1024x768).jpg

DSCF1048 (1024x768).jpg

DSCF1049 (1024x768).jpg

It was explained to us that the Guests on the left-hand side of the stage are on the blue team and Guests on the right are part of the red team. When the competitions begin, the competitors change the scores on the signs to the left and the right of the stage, so Guests can keep up with how their team is doing. We were on the right side of the stage so we were cheering on the red team. (I apologize for the slight glare in some of the pictures. The sunlight was streaming through the trees and onto my camera lens.)

First up was the axe throwing contest which was axe-ually pretty cool. This guy could chunk an axe like nobody's business.

DSCF1052 (1024x768).jpg

DSCF1053 (1024x768).jpg

**Continued in next post

Attachments

• DSCF1050 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCF1050 (1024x768).jpg
    422.2 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF1051 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCF1051 (1024x768).jpg
    470.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Axe-ually we didn't go straight to France! Continued

DSCF1053 (1024x768).jpg

DSCF1054 (1024x768).jpg

Next up! While this guy wasn't as big as the other, he could throw too!

DSCF1055 (1024x768).jpg

On to another round.

DSCF1057 (1024x768).jpg

After the axe-tossing competition, the red team was in the lead and it was time for another type of competition, the crosscut saw event. As the teams were getting their saws ready and into place, the emcee gave us a bit of information on the Canadian tradition of lumberjack competitions. While some may stop to watch the show simply for the action, I appreciated the facts and tidbits of Canadian history. The guys were ready and the fast-paced match was on! The blue team pulled out another win and was now ahead.

DSCF1058 (1024x768).jpg

DSCF1059 (1024x768).jpg

DSCF1060 (1024x768).jpg

DSCF1063 (1024x768).jpg

**Continued in next post

Attachments

• DSCF1062 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCF1062 (1024x768).jpg
    412.1 KB · Views: 2

It was time for the chainsaw log cutting race and you’ll notice that there were clear shields placed in front of the logs. These were put into place as a safety precaution to ensure no chips or pieces went further than the front of the stage. Because the shields are clear, the crowd still had a good view. The cast members were wearing protective chaps as well as ear and eye protection.

DSCF1064 (1024x768).jpg

DSCF1065 (1024x768).jpg

DSCF1066 (1024x768).jpg

DSCF1067 (1024x768).jpg

DSCF1068 (1024x768).jpg

DSCF1069 (1024x768).jpg

They made quick work of the logs and while the two men were removing their protective gear, the emcee informed us that, after the shows, the logs are recycled, chipped into small pieces and used as mulch throughout the theme parks. It is nice to hear that Walt Disney World takes its recycling efforts so seriously.

The next portion of the show had nothing at all to do with a competition. One of the strapping members of the cast put on a little show for the Guests. He could not only roll the log but he could also jump rope on the log! The emcee once again interacted with the crowd and encouraged us to shout out how many times we thought he could jump the rope without stopping. Lots of numbers were called out and the number 15 was chosen and, by gosh, he did it and even jumped a few more just to prove that he could.

DSCF1073 (1024x768).jpg

DSCF1074 (1024x768).jpg

**Continued in next post

Now that we had gotten a little taste and sample of how log rolling worked, it was time for what most would consider the main event. It was time for a good old-fashioned rolling contest! Again, it was red versus blue and these guys were ready to go at it. Their feet were nimble and quick and it took several minutes before one lost his footing and down he went! The gentlemen got back into place and another tournament of fancy footwork was on. Along with a possible splash from a contestant falling into the water, there’s another reason that you might possibly get wet. Kicking the water at the other challenger was used as a distraction and attempt to throw the other off their game. Having given that warning, I should also state that the majority of water went in the direction of the stage itself. Again, the red team won the challenge and was the winner of the entire competition! Even though the teams were pitted against one another, you could tell that the fellows were great friends and worked well together.

DSCF1075 (1024x768).jpg

DSCF1076 (1024x768).jpg

DSCF1077 (1024x768).jpg

DSCF1078 (1024x768).jpg

DSCF1079 (1024x768).jpg

DSCF1080 (1024x768).jpg

DSCF1081 (1024x768).jpg

DSCF1082 (1024x768).jpg

DSCF1083 (1024x768).jpg

DSCF1084 (1024x768).jpg

We were so happy that we had stopped to watch this “new-to-Epcot” show and that we had gotten to see a small sampling of time honored traditions of the Canadian lumberjack. The show has since gotten the axe so I'm especially glad that we decided to stop.

**Up next: Impressions du la snore

Last edited:
We saw the lumberjacks too and loved it! It was so entertaining a nice little break during the day.

That show looked like fun. I find it funny because we saw a similar show in Alaska...I guess Alaska is sorta like Northern Canada :)

The Lumber Jack show didn't interest me so I didn't take the time to stop and watch while it was there. After reading your review I'm kind of regretting that I didn't take the time. It sounds like it was a lot of fun.

A cheater cheater pumpkin eater. Eew, that's gross. I don't like pumpkin.

Me neither. The pie is ok, but I don't really go out of my way for it.

Of course, in the article, I had to sound all professional and stuff so it's written in a different tone than here.

Professional? Why would we want that?:confused3:rotfl2:

First up was the axe throwing contest which was axe-ually pretty cool.

Yes! What was the target? Someone from the other team?

It was time for the chainsaw log cutting race and you’ll notice that there were clear shields placed in front of the logs.

No chainsaw throwing? Aw.

He could not only roll the log but he could also jump rope on the log!

Impressive!

The show has since gotten the axe so I'm especially glad that we decided to stop.

Yeah, that didn't last long. It was gone by the time I got there!

I wonder why they axed the show? It looks like it draws a big crowd and looked like fun to watch. Oh well I had that on my list of things to see in Alaska (if I ever get to cruise there). Fun update!

I never got to see the Lumber Jacks and now they are gone. They didn't interest me much but I might have stopped.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter