Just Hold On, We're Going Home...All 11 of Us Are Going to Mickeystoontown's Home! Update 10/27

On the road again! I just can't wait to be on the road again! Sing it Willie!

My itinerary says that I wanted to be on the road by 10:00 a.m. but we all know that I wanted to leave earlier than that. But, with John and I working the day before and driving for hours and hours, who knew how exhausted we would be? So, I planned for a late start but would hope for an earlier one. We were back on the road at 8:52 a.m.! A whole hour and 8 minutes earlier than I had planned! That's what the Disney excitement does to ya!

DSCF0519 (1024x768).jpg

Remember me saying that the drive on I-20 from our house to Mississippi was boring? Well the drive on I-10 is just as boring after you get past, say, Pensacola, Florida. Just a whole lotta road and a bunch of nothing to look at. Sure, you pass through Tallahasee which is the State Capitol but that's off the interstate and all that you actually see is traffic. Ugh, I hate traffic. We crossed through the entire Florida panhandle and then made the turn onto I-75 which goes down the State. And, more of nothingness except for traffic. The most exciting site are the We Bare All billboards. I always shake my head at those because, well first, the name and second, because it says that couples are welcome and showers are available. Just the thought makes me wanna yak! I can only imagine the clientele. Gross!

As we did on our first driving day, we called Mama every now and then to check in with her. We also talked with Lacey. A couple of weeks before the trip, they had told us that they were moving to Louisiana and we were excitedly chatting about job possibilities for Jesse. We were also discussing their plans to join us later in the trip. Believe me when I tell you that we were happy for the distraction from the boredom of driving.

When I printed our Mapquest directions, I didn't notice that they told us to take a different exit off I-75. They told us to go through a lot of little towns and we knew not to do that. So, when we passed the exit on MapQuest and continued on down I-75 until we reached the correct one. I had Hunter make a note of the exit number and make a few more notations so that I could give them to Lacey since they were using the same ones that we had printed.

We take a few backroads and passed by a huge shopping and dining complex that had been under construction the last two trips. Hunter tried to take some pictures but we were going about 45 or 50 and they came out pretty bad. One day, we will stop at Brownwood and see what it's all about. I say that but then I also know that we are too excited about our vacation destination and then on the way home, we are focused on getting home.

DSCF0520 (1024x768).jpg DSCF0520 (1024x768).jpg

DSCF0521 (1024x768).jpg DSCF0521 (1024x768).jpg

DSCF0525 (1024x768).jpg

Finally, after what seemed like forever, we reached Clermont and started seeing some more interesting sites like this cute locksmith shop.

The Citrus Tower

DSCF0530 (1024x768).jpg

And the President Museum which doesn't really look like much of a museum
DSCF0531 (1024x768).jpg

Over the years, we have seen the huge change in this city. The road went from just a lane or two to a wider lane highway, many of the citrus groves were turned into communities. There are still a lot of groves though and we noticed this trip that some that had looked upkept last trip were looking a lot better and more cared for this year.
DSCF0533 (1024x768).jpg

DSCF0534 (1024x768).jpg

**Continued in next post

Attachments

• DSCF0527 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCF0527 (1024x768).jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF0529 (768x1024).jpg
    DSCF0529 (768x1024).jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 5
On the road again! I just can't wait to be on the road again! Sing it Willie! Continued

DSCF0536 (1024x768).jpg

And, then, we saw IT! The first real sign telling us that we were almost there!
DSCF0539 (1024x768).jpg

We made the turn onto Hwy. 192 which, by the way, has been under construction for 18 whole dang years! I am serious! We have never driven to Walt Disney World and not encountered road construction on this highway. But, by traveling this route, we get to see all the crazy looking buildings.

DSCF0542 (1024x768).jpg

DSCF0543 (1024x768).jpg

DSCF0545 (1024x768).jpg

Our directions took us around a big loop and over an overpass and then, before our eyes, was one of the most beautiful sights that I have ever seen. (well, other than my kids being born but it's a close second...err, third 'cause I have two kids). The most fantabulously beautimus gorgeousity known as the heavenly gates of Walt Disney World!
DSCF0551 (1024x768).jpg

Sweet baby Jesus, we had arrived safe and sound! Or had we?

**Honey, we're home!

Attachments

• DSCF0546 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCF0546 (1024x768).jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF0547 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCF0547 (1024x768).jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCF0548 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCF0548 (1024x768).jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCF0549 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCF0549 (1024x768).jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 16
I'm dusting off the old user name and coming back just to read your report. I am loving the start already and I cannot wait to hear about all the fun!!

Mel

Yay! You made it to WDW. I hate those "we bare all" signs. When my kiddos were learning to read it made for some interesting questions from them.

I so know what you mean about the town of Clermont!! See, I grew up not far from there. I lived there when Clermont and the Citrus Tower were in their "heyday". There were just groves and groves as far as the eye could see. The Citrus Tower stood like a centinal among the rolling hills covered in lush green orange groves. There was a giant freeze that destroyed those trees, it was so sad. I am glad they are tying to restore some of it now.

So, there is one "sight" that you have never mentioned, that makes me chuckle every time... the signs for the town o Howey in the Hills. This town name has always tickled me since I was a kid.

Awe, the gates of Heaven must be truly maginifient. But until we reach those pearly gates, this gate will be the closest thing to it!

I am so excited to read another one of your trip reports. You always do an awesome job writing them!

The construction in Mobile was such a pain to deal with. Glad it was finished when you traveled this time!
I've never heard of honking your horn in a tunnel. I know the whole hold your breath bit. Hmmm, I have had to travel that route several times since I love close to it, and maybe that's why I hear honking occassionally. I just assumed people were upset at my speed....:rotfl2:

I work at a childrens museum and whenever they plop me in front of a computer..i read your trip reports! Just finished the last one, now i'm here! :dogdance:

Great start!!!

I appreciate the planning that goes into your ride and I love how you have all the distances and approximate times to the different cities. That way you can decide on the road the best stopping point.

You are so funny in the tunnels. When I was a kid and my family would go through the tunnels in Boston, we were told we had to be quiet the whole time we were in the tunnel. I feel ripped off now!

I am not familiar with nanny nanny boo boo but I'm pretty sure I can fill in the rest.

You sure do see some interesting things on the road like your neighbors the Robersons. I like the notes on your cracker. Of course the arch is the most beautiful picture so far. I have never seen it with the earful tower and Swalfin in the picture. Very cool!

:goodvibes:

Woohoo you made it! The sites may be boring but road trips alway tend to be fun especially with family.

You know, I really hate the actual traveling part of traveling. Especially a long drive. I am just not built well for road trips! But the travel is also filled with such anticipation of the fun to come!!! Bring on Disney fun!

Oh intrigue!:magnify::magnify: Yay, you made to WDW!!

I know! We were so very happy to be there finally!

I'm dusting off the old user name and coming back just to read your report. I am loving the start already and I cannot wait to hear about all the fun!!

Mel

Oh my word! I can't believe that my old friend issssssss baaaaaaack! I'm so so so happy that you are here.

YAY!!! You're home!!!!

I know! I was so ready to be there!

Yay! You made it to WDW. I hate those "we bare all" signs. When my kiddos were learning to read it made for some interesting questions from them.

Yeah, I remember those days when we would spot the signs up ahead and distract the kids.

I so know what you mean about the town of Clermont!! See, I grew up not far from there. I lived there when Clermont and the Citrus Tower were in their "heyday". There were just groves and groves as far as the eye could see. The Citrus Tower stood like a centinal among the rolling hills covered in lush green orange groves. There was a giant freeze that destroyed those trees, it was so sad. I am glad they are tying to restore some of it now.

So, there is one "sight" that you have never mentioned, that makes me chuckle every time... the signs for the town o Howey in the Hills. This town name has always tickled me since I was a kid.

Awe, the gates of Heaven must be truly maginifient. But until we reach those pearly gates, this gate will be the closest thing to it!

I didn't remember that you used to live near Clermont. I remember our first drives to Walt Disney World and getting excited about seeing the orange groves. One year, we drove through and there were fires everywhere and had to detour. I think that I remember it destroyed a lot of the groves then.

Oh yeah Howey in the Hills! I forgot about that town!

I am so excited to read another one of your trip reports. You always do an awesome job writing them!

Thank you and welcome to the party!

Yay!!! You have arrived!!!I love that sign!!!!!

Meeeeee too!

The construction in Mobile was such a pain to deal with. Glad it was finished when you traveled this time!
I've never heard of honking your horn in a tunnel. I know the whole hold your breath bit. Hmmm, I have had to travel that route several times since I love close to it, and maybe that's why I hear honking occassionally. I just assumed people were upset at my speed....:rotfl2:

Yep, a lot of folks honk their horns in the tunnel. You gotta try it sometimes.

I work at a childrens museum and whenever they plop me in front of a computer..i read your trip reports! Just finished the last one, now i'm here! :dogdance:

Welcome aboard! I'm so glad to have you here!

Great start!!!

I appreciate the planning that goes into your ride and I love how you have all the distances and approximate times to the different cities. That way you can decide on the road the best stopping point.

I knew if anyone would appreciate my planning process, you would Dee.

You are so funny in the tunnels. When I was a kid and my family would go through the tunnels in Boston, we were told we had to be quiet the whole time we were in the tunnel. I feel ripped off now!

Be quiet? For real? First off, there's no way that we'd be quiet while riding in a car unless we were all asleep. Second, you were totally ripped off!

I am not familiar with nanny nanny boo boo but I'm pretty sure I can fill in the rest.

With you having boys, I bet that you can fill in the rest.

You sure do see some interesting things on the road like your neighbors the Robersons. I like the notes on your cracker. Of course the arch is the most beautiful picture so far. I have never seen it with the earful tower and Swalfin in the picture. Very cool!

:goodvibes:

When I went to the store to buy snacks, they only had Walmart brand of multi-grain crackers and most were all busted up. So, to find one fully intact was a chore.

Woohoo you made it! The sites may be boring but road trips alway tend to be fun especially with family.

Yeah, road trips are THE best!

You made it! YAY!

Those gates just scream "you're home!!!!" to me!

They were definitely screaming YOU"RE HOME!

Joining in! So happy to see your new trip report.

Thanks for coming aboard!

You know, I really hate the actual traveling part of traveling. Especially a long drive. I am just not built well for road trips! But the travel is also filled with such anticipation of the fun to come!!! Bring on Disney fun!

We really don't mind long road trips especially when they lead us to Walt Disney World!

It is so odd that you said that about your conversation with your cousin because I had the same one with MY cousin last week

It MUST be a southern thing. :)

Looking forward to seeing BOTH gates, but for the time being the "magical" gates will do.

Enjoyed this installment. So glad y'all are finally there. Can't wait to read more.

Looks like I made it just in time to get out of the car. Best part of the vacation is arriving and having the whole trip ahead of you. I'm looking forward to reading along.

Sweet baby Jesus, we had arrived safe and sound! Or had we?

Now that were were on official Walt Disney World Resort property, we felt like we were home! But, if you were to ask my Mama, she'd tell you that we hadn't really made it home until we actually parked in Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort parking lot. Normally, I wouldn't agree with her because once we hit World Drive, we were home free. However, this trip, there was a lot of road construction going on once we got off of World Drive. People were just going here and there and everywhere trying to avoid the construction cones and someone pulled out in front of me and they almost hit me. They swerved into the other lane and almost hit another car. Freakin' A people! This is Walt Disney World! Don't you know that this is the gosh darn happiest place on the blessed Earth? We can't have any auto accidents on property! We just can't! It ain't right! I'm sure that it is a law written on the Disney books. Now, get the heck outta my way, I'm on my way home!

Those last seven or eight minutes of our journey were stressful to the max. I was ready to escape the real world and join the Disney world. Once we turned onto Cayman Way, we a sense of relief and peace overtook us. The guard welcomed us home and gave us directions to The Custom House (I didn't need them but still thanked him.) where we parked. John said that he would wait in the car and make "we made it safe and sound" phone calls. Hunter, on the other hand, is like his Mama, he wants to get in there and get a good whiff of that wonderful smell that can only be found at Disney.

A greeter opened the door for us and we stepped into the Disney bubble. I remember that we were met by a cast member who had an IPad or similar gizmo and he directed us to a window. Check-in took just a few minutes and they checked our magic bands to make sure that they were working and we were free to go. But, we couldnt' go to our room because they didn't know an actual room number yet. We were to receive a text and were told that it shouldn't be long before we received it.

For some reason, we ended up talking with one of the cast members that greeted us and we wound up at a desk near the entrance way. I'm thinking that I had forgotten to ask when we would know whether or not Lacey and the rest would be in the same building as us. The cast member was a younger guy and was super friendly to Hunter. They talked about music and the college program while he was checking the info for me.

That's when I heard "Lisa?". It was Connie from the Dis! She and her family were waiting on Magical Depress to take them to the airport. We chatted for a few minutes. She had bought a Tervis mug and realized that it had a crack in it that same day and we were wondering if they would replace it. I believe that it was her husband or possibly a child came in and told her that Magical Express was there and she needed to hurry up. It was so nice to see a Diser within minutes of our arrival! What a way to start a trip! There's no picture proof but Connie can confirm that we did meet.

Back to the other "stuff". The cast member told me that he couldn't tell me whether or not Lacey and the others would be assigned rooms close to us because their arrival was over a week out. I thanked him for checking and we were off to Old Port Royale to eat since it had been a while since we had any food in our bellies. We drove to Old Port Royale and found a parking spot far far away because, even though our car is almost three years old, I still want it to look good. Some people nowadays don't give two hoots if they hit my car with their car door. I paid a lot of money for my car and I want it to stay dent free as long as possible.

We entered Old Port Royale and went in search of food with all of us going in different directions. John and I ended up at the same station. He ordered the pulled pork sandwich which was topped with slaw and came with housemade chips.

DSCF0556 (1024x768).jpg

DSCF0562 (1024x768).jpg

I ordered a turkey BLT that came with a chopped salad.

DSCF0557 (1024x768).jpg

I betcha can't guess what Hunter ordered! Surprise surprise...a pizza which he ate the majority of before John and I ever made it to the table and before I could take a picture.

Our dessert selections which all came from the grab n go section were a tropical pastry, a chocolate cupcake and candie cookie.

DSCF0559 (1024x768).jpg

DSCF0558 (1024x768).jpg

DSCF0560 (1024x768).jpg

All of the above pictures were taken by Hunter after I handed off the camera and while John and I filled our mugs. Oh in addition to the food pictures, he took this one as well.
DSCF0561 (1024x768).jpg

After our meal, we walked around in the store just because we had the time. And, because window shopping at Disney is sooooo much better than window shopping at home. We still hadn't received a text so I stopped by the concierge desk in Old Port Royale to see if by chance our room was ready. Just as they were checking, my phone buzzed. Our room was ready. We made a quick potty stop and were off to see our home away from home for the next two weeks!

**Up next: Don't you dare touch that!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter