Just hanging out in Nassau??

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by RickFreeze, Feb 1, 2013.

1. RickFreeze

RickFreeze Mouseketeer

This is our first cruise and we were wondeing what other than Atlantis there is to do in Nassau. We are thinking about just going to the Straw Market and then finding a local beach to hang out at. Any ideas? Where can I find a beach that isn't affiliated with a resort that would be fre or close to it. :beach:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. jgh

jgh Peter Pan!

I'm not too sure, honestly. I would like to know what others say as well. :) The last two cruises (well...the ONLY two cruises) we've been on we stayed on the ship during the Nassau port day...we're going on another cruise in a little over a year so it might be nice to know what else there is to do. :)

4. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

Pirate Museum.

Junkanoo Beach (not free but not a hotel beach either).

Good info here.

5. RMAMom

RMAMom DIS Veteran

We are planning to walk over to the pirates museum.

6. MAD4EEYORE

MAD4EEYORE DIS Veteran

When did they start charging? I thought it was only a charge for chairs or umbrellas.

Also know that vendors will try to sell you things while there. It's an easy walk from the cruise port. You'll be able to see the ships from there.

7. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

I suppose I could be wrong. I thought I'd read that it wasn't free. Sorry if I gave bad info!

8. MAD4EEYORE

MAD4EEYORE DIS Veteran

I didn't think you were wrong. It's been a few years since I've been there and was wondering if things changed.

Hope my post wasn't snippy. I didn't mean it that way.

9. Ladyshopper

Ladyshopper Mouseketeer

Junkanoo is free, or at least it was when I went last May.

15 minute walk from ship. Lovely beach, we weren't hassled at all by vendors, beautiful water, restrooms, and plenty of stalls selling refreshments.

We had a great day there.

Walked back via the Straw market and wish we hadn't bothered - rubbish.

10. AJPPGH

AJPPGH Mouseketeer

We plan to go over to the Sheraton Cable beach where for $25 a person you can use their beach/pool and the Wyndham next doors as well. Hope that works for us...never been on a cruise and discovered this option on another site. No desire to do the Atlantis.

11. Mousemom

Mousemom DIS Veteran

Thanks so much for this information. This will be our first cruise and we wondered what we would do while in Nassau. The pirate museum sounds interesting. Can you walk to this or do you need to get transportation? Also a relaxing day on the beach sounds great too.

12. katpalen

katpalen Earning My Ears

Can you provide more information about the Sheraton beach deal?
    Thanks!

13. AJPPGH

AJPPGH Mouseketeer

14. Anonny

Anonny Mouseketeer

15. MAD4EEYORE

MAD4EEYORE DIS Veteran

You can walk to the pirate museum it's past the straw market on George St.

16. CMOORE185

CMOORE185 HH 240 Points, SSR 260 Points

We went to the hotel beach you can see from the ship, next to SeƱor Frogs. It was something like $50 per person, but it included $30 vouchers per person for food and drink. Nassau is the worst port and I never look forward to going there. We usually book cruises that go to Castaway Cay twice as I have been unimpressed with most ports on the Western and Eastern cruises.

17. mrslaney

mrslaney Mouseketeer

18. AJPPGH

AJPPGH Mouseketeer

from what I can see its like a $15 dollar cab ride and not that far at all...close enough that you *could* walk it if you wanted-but of course with kids who would want to do that. The Jitney is cheap at $1.25 but I wouldn't do that with small children.

Also-did you know that there is a hotel right across from the Atlantis-Comfort Inn Suites-that you can buy a room and use the entire Atlantis facility? Many people just go in, get the pass and leave without getting their key.
    I was considering this when I thought I wanted to do Atlantis. It is cheaper than the DCL excursion and you don't have to take any kind of tour.
    But honeslty I think your best bet is the SHeraton with little kids. Check it out online-it looks like a gorgeous hotel as does the Wyndham where you can use everything as well.