Just had what will be our last dinner at 'Ohana - for us, way too much $$ for quality

PJ

Mouseketeer
We have AP's and spend 6 months near wdw and we eat at TS restaurants a few times a month. We've done 'Ohana many times over the years and always loved it - including the quality. On our last visit a few years ago, when we got the bill I remembered thinking that I really enjoyed it but it wasn't worth $90 for the 2 of us. But last night we decided to try it again, and not just the value but the quality was disappointing.

One pleasant surprise was that we checked in at 6:00 for a 6:30 ADR and were seated at 6:15 - with a table by the window. Unfortunately the view was of the pool construction, but we could still see the castle, and the puffy clouds as we approached sunset were lovely.

One overall comment - the shrimp was the only thing that was served hot. At these prices that in itself was disappointing. But even if everything had been hot it wouldn't have been enough to want to try it again. Here's a summary of the meal:
  • Pineapple-Coconut bread: kind of meh but didn't have strong expectations anyway
  • Salad: We weren't here when they experimented with the lettuce wraps - they have been eliminated but they added the veggies from the wrap to the salad. Salad was ok but I preferred the original dressing
  • Dumplings (pot-stickers) and wings: Still love the dumplings, and the 2 sauces (peanut and sweet sour) were very good. Wings were a little fatty but ok. And neither were hot...
  • Lo Mein: I usually don't even try this but really enjoyed it this time - although again, it wasn't hot
  • Chicken Skewers - DH almost didn't try the chicken (he likes to save himself for the shrimp and steak) but was pleasantly surprised - he liked it better than the steak. Even without using a dipping sauce it had a very good flavor. But it wasn't hot.
  • Shrimp skewers: Very good - and the only thing that was served hot
  • Steak Skewers: Cooked ok with some pink, but was not hot, somewhat tough, and some of DH's chunks had more gristle than we'd expect for the price
  • Dessert: bread pudding is still to die for - only gripe here is that it is served family style, and the individual plates they give you are so small that by the time you add the sauce and the ice cream begins to melt it starts to escape the plate
Overall: While we still enjoyed it, for the first time neither of us felt it was worth the money. If you have a free DDP, or its not important to you if you spend big bucks for a meal that is just OK I would still eat there, I would just suggest managing expectations.

Thanks for the review! Ohana seems to get such hit and miss reviews. I am glad to see they have chicken back because I don't really eat pork, but I think I would find it hard to justify spending that much money for just an okay experience.

We cancelled our ADR because I realized we could eat at a signature for the same price.

Thanks for sharing!! Lately Ohana has really been hit or miss. A lot of people are giving up on Ohana for other restaurants on property. I had still seen a few positive reviews here & there.

We eat here every year. Last August we were very disappointed with our meal. It's not that we won't go back but it is not on our adr list for this August.

We used to eat here every year also. Our experience a few weeks ago was disappointing. We won't be rushing back. Honestly, we felt the breakfast quality has declined too. It used to be our favorite breakfast-character or not-we did not skip it once in all of our yearly trips and now I don't know if we will go back next year. Kind of sad, IMO.

Yeah, I had high hopes for dinner, at Ohana, too. Didn't care for it. In fact, it was bad. I don't mind paying a little more. I know I'm at Disney. I get it. But, at least make the food halfway decent. Dinner at just bad.

That being said, I VERY MUCH enjoyed it when we had breakfast, there. I'd do that again, in a minute. But, dinner? No thanks. I'll pass.

I had heard great things about Ohana & the ressies were hard to get. However, my experience last November fell flat. The food just wasn't good. Much of it had little flavour & most of it was cold. No true entertainment. Just a coconut race for the kids in the room. I also had a great window table, great view of the castle (over the construction) and decent service. But the food. Not good. I wouldn't do it again. I had a great dinner a few nights before at Kona. All I could think about was how I wish I was at Kona enjoying the steak & banana creme brule. :sad2:

I went for the first time in 2011 and loved it but when we went in 2013 it was very disappointing. I think the biggest issue though was the service and overall environment. Our drinks never got refilled and we asked nicely multiple times, we were seated ridiculously late, the place seemed not just crowded but overly crowded, and there was only one sauce available?? I don't know if they were trying something new or they were out of sauces but all they had was a peanut sauce...in 2011 we had 3 different sauces for our food and this time they only had the one. that was one of my favorite things was the different sauces and flavors for the wontons and meat. We aren't going back on our trip this year.

I definitely prefer breakfast over dinner at 'Ohana.
We had a great *dinner there for my birthday once, but that was four or five trips ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter