Just Engaged! What now??

Mimi-Anne

Earning My Ears
Was just engaged over the weekend at Magic Kingdom. What do I do now?! I obviously want a Disney Wedding I'm just not sure where I start with everything. I have been looking at the Disney Wedding website. But I'm not sure if I should go through them or get my own wedding planner. It's all so confusing! Any tips or advice?

You have to go through them if you want a DFTW on property. Swan and dolphin also have their own packages. If your 12-16 months out I would call them after knowing what package fits you :)

Congratulations! Buy the Passporter wedding book, read through some of the posts on this board, there are also some podcasts done by the author of the Passporter book. You need to think about how many guests you want, what type of wedding you want, and what your budget it and then you will know which of the Disney options works for you - Memories (baby bear), Escape (momma bear), or Wishes (poppa bear). I had an Escape wedding (18 guests max) and I did not feel like I needed to hire a planner.....but, I love research and DIY and had a really long time to figure out my perfect wedding.

What are you thinking? Big wedding, small wedding? Timeframe?

Congratulations! Buy the Passporter wedding book, read through some of the posts on this board, there are also some podcasts done by the author of the Passporter book. You need to think about how many guests you want, what type of wedding you want, and what your budget it and then you will know which of the Disney options works for you - Memories (baby bear), Escape (momma bear), or Wishes (poppa bear). I had an Escape wedding (18 guests max) and I did not feel like I needed to hire a planner.....but, I love research and DIY and had a really long time to figure out my perfect wedding.

What are you thinking? Big wedding, small wedding? Timeframe?

Hi! Thanks so much! Right now I am thinking of going with an Escape Wedding. I want the ceremony to be small with just our close family and friends. I know with that package you get a cake and champagne toast. My thought was to skip the toast an possibly do a Brunch buffet at a nice restaurant. Would that be possibly? Could I have them box the cake up so I can take it with me. I guess I want to do some kind of split thing. Have my 18 guest at the ceremony but then have additional people join us for a Brunch Reception.

The time frame would be next year. Ideally we would like to have the wedding June 30th but we are flexible.

My thought was to skip the toast an possibly do a Brunch buffet at a nice restaurant. Would that be possibly? Could I have them box the cake up so I can take it with me.

Congrats!

That shouldn't be a problem at all. By June 30th do you mean June 30th of 2017? If so, you can probably start talking to someone seriously next month already and get everything booked pretty soon. I'd start talking to anyone who might be helping to plan for your wedding about getting a deposit together so you can reserve your date and location right away. like others have said, buy the PassPorter's eBook. it's a great reference and you can download free updates if anything changes during the planning process.

Another thing I recommend is using the tools on the DFTW website to build weddings at places other than WDW. I had my mind made up that I'd have a Wishes or Escape event at WDW for years and never dreamed I'd choose anything else, but after doing some fooling around on the website I found that a Castaway Cay ceremony during a Disney Cruise was the perfect choice for us and I wouldn't have it any other way now.

Don't forget to do some of the fun things too, like creating a wedding registry or having an Engagement party if you'd like!

Congrats!

That shouldn't be a problem at all. By June 30th do you mean June 30th of 2017? If so, you can probably start talking to someone seriously next month already and get everything booked pretty soon. I'd start talking to anyone who might be helping to plan for your wedding about getting a deposit together so you can reserve your date and location right away. like others have said, buy the PassPorter's eBook. it's a great reference and you can download free updates if anything changes during the planning process.

Another thing I recommend is using the tools on the DFTW website to build weddings at places other than WDW. I had my mind made up that I'd have a Wishes or Escape event at WDW for years and never dreamed I'd choose anything else, but after doing some fooling around on the website I found that a Castaway Cay ceremony during a Disney Cruise was the perfect choice for us and I wouldn't have it any other way now.

Don't forget to do some of the fun things too, like creating a wedding registry or having an Engagement party if you'd like!

Sorry I forgot to put the year. But yes June 30th of 2017.

I emailed someone about the Escape package and they'll be getting in touch with me in about 2-3 days.

We are also looking into doing a DCL wedding. My fiancé likes the idea of being married on Casataway Cay. So I guess we need to decide what we are going to do by the end of the week.

We are also looking into doing a DCL wedding

We absolutely adored our Castaway Cay wedding. If you decide on that, you can book as soon as the cruise itineraries are released, which they already are if you stuck with June 30th! If you decide that's what is right for you, feel free to ask me anything! It's also a great option if you're on a tight budget, because you can do your wedding and honeymoon in one! We personally chose to take a separate honeymoon to Disneyland because we wanted it to be just the two of us, but it's certainly an option!

We absolutely adored our Castaway Cay wedding. If you decide on that, you can book as soon as the cruise itineraries are released, which they already are if you stuck with June 30th! If you decide that's what is right for you, feel free to ask me anything! It's also a great option if you're on a tight budget, because you can do your wedding and honeymoon in one! We personally chose to take a separate honeymoon to Disneyland because we wanted it to be just the two of us, but it's certainly an option!

Thanks so much! We want to be able to I guess have more than the 18 people that the Escape package allows to join us without having to bump up to the Wishes package. Plus we have a lot of little people in our family and I know they'd love a Disney Cruise. One thing I'd still like to be able to do is have a couples shoot in the Magic Kingdom would I be able to book that without having a DFTW package?

One thing I'd still like to be able to do is have a couples shoot in the Magic Kingdom would I be able to book that without having a DFTW package?

Yes, we did the Magic Kingdom photo shoot! With a Castaway Cay wedding you are still booking a DFTW, but even if you weren't I think anyone can do one now if they're willing to pay. We were in the same boat- I didn't really want a full 4 hour reception that Wishes offered but we had too many people for Escape. Castaway Cay can have up to 100 guests I believe so that really makes it easier.

Yes, we did the Magic Kingdom photo shoot! With a Castaway Cay wedding you are still booking a DFTW, but even if you weren't I think anyone can do one now if they're willing to pay. We were in the same boat- I didn't really want a full 4 hour reception that Wishes offered but we had too many people for Escape. Castaway Cay can have up to 100 guests I believe so that really makes it easier.

That's great! I really want those photos. And that's great about the number of people I can have on Castaway Cay. I think I may be leaning more towards the cruise wedding. I know I have to book a cruise first and then add the wedding package. What are the deposits like for the wedding package? Does it follow the same guidelines as a regular cruise booking? Also I'm really big on pictures. I know I have to purchase a photo package. What packages do they offer on the ship?

What are the deposits like for the wedding package? Does it follow the same guidelines as a regular cruise booking?

When we booked ours in January of 2015 we simply had to pay a deposit of 20% of the cost of our cruise and the wedding combined- so our deposit was around $1,000 for a four night Bahamian cruise in late February 2016 and the wedding. our cruise cost about $1200 and our wedding was around $4,000- so we paid 20% of $5200. I'm guessing it would be the same today- so 20% of the cost of whatever cruise you decide to take plus the cost of the wedding.

What packages do they offer on the ship?

There were 3 different packages when we booked. The Celebration package was $349.95 and came with 20 5x7, 5 8x10, 1 8x10 folio, plus your photographer. The Wishes package was $549.95 30 5x7, 15 8x10, 1 5x7 wedding photo album, and of course your photographer, the final package is the Magic package at $999.95 and includes 30 5x7, 30 8x10, 25 wedding announcements, 1 5x7 album, 1 8x10 album, 1 photo cd of all images, and the photographer. You can also purchase a separate CD of all images for $399.95.

These prices might have gone up a little bit now but it's probably roughly the same. The photography Disney provides has gotten mixed reviews but we had beautiful photos that we loved from the photographers on the Magic. We chose the Wishes package and got the CD of all of the images.

When we booked ours in January of 2015 we simply had to pay a deposit of 20% of the cost of our cruise and the wedding combined- so our deposit was around $1,000 for a four night Bahamian cruise in late February 2016 and the wedding. our cruise cost about $1200 and our wedding was around $4,000- so we paid 20% of $5200. I'm guessing it would be the same today- so 20% of the cost of whatever cruise you decide to take plus the cost of the wedding.

There were 3 different packages when we booked. The Celebration package was $349.95 and came with 20 5x7, 5 8x10, 1 8x10 folio, plus your photographer. The Wishes package was $549.95 30 5x7, 15 8x10, 1 5x7 wedding photo album, and of course your photographer, the final package is the Magic package at $999.95 and includes 30 5x7, 30 8x10, 25 wedding announcements, 1 5x7 album, 1 8x10 album, 1 photo cd of all images, and the photographer. You can also purchase a separate CD of all images for $399.95.

These prices might have gone up a little bit now but it's probably roughly the same. The photography Disney provides has gotten mixed reviews but we had beautiful photos that we loved from the photographers on the Magic. We chose the Wishes package and got the CD of all of the images.

Oh wow! That's not bad at all for deposits. And the picture packages sound really good too. I think I'm definitely interested in this. Do you mind me asking if you had a a wedding party and how many guest you had? I'm trying to decide if I want to have bridesmaids and all of that. I'm also worried that a lot of the people we invite won't want to come due to it being cruise based if we decide on DCL.

Oh wow! That's not bad at all for deposits. And the picture packages sound really good too. I think I'm definitely interested in this. Do you mind me asking if you had a a wedding party and how many guest you had? I'm trying to decide if I want to have bridesmaids and all of that. I'm also worried that a lot of the people we invite won't want to come due to it being cruise based if we decide on DCL.

Yeah I didn't think it was bad either! We were on the fence about a wedding party as well. We decided to just have a Maid of Honor and a Best Man. I didn't want to deal with bridesmaids and groomsmen and trying to arrange their travel and everything. I was worried about a lot of people not wanting to come as well but we ended up having 22 people plus us which was perfect. One thing you could do is plan a small picnic back home for those who decide against the cruise so they can still celebrate with you! We had a reception because I have a large family and there was no way they could all make it. : )

Yeah I didn't think it was bad either! We were on the fence about a wedding party as well. We decided to just have a Maid of Honor and a Best Man. I didn't want to deal with bridesmaids and groomsmen and trying to arrange their travel and everything. I was worried about a lot of people not wanting to come as well but we ended up having 22 people plus us which was perfect. One thing you could do is plan a small picnic back home for those who decide against the cruise so they can still celebrate with you! We had a reception because I have a large family and there was no way they could all make it. : )

That's a good idea about having one for each of us. Both our families live in different states so I know there will be some people who most likely won't make it. The picnic idea is pretty cool! I'll have to remember that. I really think we will be going with the cruise idea. It seems to give more possibilities for us.

Last edited:
I really think we will be going with the cruise idea. It seems to give more possibilities for us.

I'm so glad! The cruise weddings are great! Next step for you would probably be to check out cruise itineraries and see which ones stop at Castaway Cay on or around your desired date- then once you've got the deposit call and book! : D Happy planning! Why don't you start a planning journal on here so we can all follow along and see how you're doing? : )

You have received a lot of good information above. Make sure to listen to that podcast :)

I LOVE cruises and in fact, we went on one for our honeymoon. Only you truly understand your situation and the dynamic with your family and friends but I will tell you why I did not go the cruise option (or other destination wedding locations) and instead went the Disney Escape option:

1. I wanted our wedding day to be our legal wedding date. I *assume* that if you get married on Castaway Cay, the marriage isn't recognized by the U.S. and you have to have a legal wedding at a courthouse before or after. Perhaps cruise brides can confirm and maybe that isn't a big deal for you. I just didn't want two dates.
2. I didn't want my guests to need to get Passports.
3. We have a broad range of financial resources in our family and friends. Some would not be able to afford a cruise, but a couple nights at a Value hotel was ok (and we hosted most of their meals). We had 4 singles at our wedding. I don't think some or any of them would have come to the wedding since they didn't have someone to travel with and the cost of a cabin by yourself is very expensive.
4. Time and schedule. Several of our guests had limited time or scheduling conflicts before or after the wedding. For example, my cousin is a teacher. She needed to take 2 vacation days to come to our wedding but could not have spent anymore time. My mother-in-law also could only stay 2 days. There was just a lot more flexibility with the Escape wedding and just needing 1-2 days that work for everyone versus 7-8.

Again, your situation may be completely different.

The other reasons I picked Disney World, because people ask me all the time.....
1. I wanted a destination wedding to bring friends and family closer
2. Disney quality meant no worrying
3. All of our family was going to have to travel anyhow
4. There are non-stop flights from everywhere our family is to Orlando for a good price
5. No one needed to rent a car
6. Lots of options for lodging, food, and fun!

Good luck!

I can confirm what the above poste said. We had to go to the courthouse beforehand, but you can choose to have your legal ceremony on the ship the day is disembarks. :) it didn't bother me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter