Just Bought Travel Insurance......

While Ebola was a reason for the form to be revamped, the primary illnesses they are looking for are gastrointestinal bugs, especially norovirus.

This. The only ebola-related question is about travel to/from certain parts of the world. The rest is about your standard Noro and other gastrointestinal bugs.

I'm sure the operating costs are already built into all the premiums.

I guess we would need to know how many folks actually buy that "catastrophic" medical coverage and of course how much of an extra premium they pay. And just how often is it used. I am suprised at a 60% loss ratio--

All I know is I've spent just over $1,000 for cruise Insurance and they have all that $$$!!!!

The same way all insurance companies do. They take in more in premiums than they pay out in claims.

That doesn't mean that you shouldn't buy insurance. Do you have car insurance, insurance on your home, life insurance, medical insurance, etc? Each and every one of these companies stays in business the same way.

We should insure for the big hits, not the small ones. Medical Evacuation could really put a hurt on most people. So you insure against that hit, just in case.

A lifetime of taking minimal insurance can save enough to cover even large events. even a 100K medical evacuation (even though you are unlikely to have such an event even over a lifetime or travel.)

High deductibles or liability only on Auto
High deductible for Home Owners, medical
Never buy extended warranties, trip insurance ect...

A middle-upper class family who travels frequently Could easily save 3K/year following this advice.

A lifetime of taking minimal insurance can save enough to cover even large events. even a 100K medical evacuation (even though you are unlikely to have such an event even over a lifetime or travel.)

High deductibles or liability only on Auto
High deductible for Home Owners, medical
Never buy extended warranties, trip insurance ect...

A middle-upper class family who travels frequently Could easily save 3K/year following this advice.

This is true, but if you do all those things (high deductibles, etc), as I already do, at $150 per cruise, you would have to take 665 or so cruises to save that $100,000. Even using your example saving $3k a year, it would take you 33 years to save that money.

If you went on 1 cruise a year for 33 years at $150 a cruise, it would cost you $4950.00. That's not too far off the price of 1 cruise, and that's spread out over 33 years.

I'm just saying that the risk/reward ratio seems to skew in favor of buying insurance rather than crossing your fingers and hoping nothing bad ever happens over those 33 years.

Yes, the odds are in the insurance companies favor that nothing that drastic will happen to you, but for the relatively small amount of money, I'll gladly let them bear the large amount of monetary risk.

This kind of insurance, like life insurance, is something you pay for and hope to never have to use! :)

Last edited:

I just purchased cruise insurance through Nationwide and it was only $86.00. I am local, so I did not need flight coverage. I am cruising during Hurricane season, so I thought it best to have the cancellation due to weather. That is all I was concerned with.

I just purchased cruise insurance through Nationwide and it was only $86.00. I am local, so I did not need flight coverage. I am cruising during Hurricane season, so I thought it best to have the cancellation due to weather. That is all I was concerned with.

How does that work exactly? Can you just cancel for any reason and get your money back? Even during Sandy the cruises weren't canceled even thought they probably should have been.

How does that work exactly? Can you just cancel for any reason and get your money back? Even during Sandy the cruises weren't canceled even thought they probably should have been.

It is quite rare that DCL will cancel cruises. More likely, they will alter the itinerary to try and avoid storms.

As to what/how/when insurance works for cancellation -- that depends on the coverage and terms of the policy purchased. If you have "cancel for any reason" coverage, then yes you may cancel for any reason (weather, work, illness, just don't want to go, whatever). Otherwise, it must be a covered reason in order to file and collect a claim.

Enjoy your cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter