Just Bought Travel Insurance......

I buy insurance for cruises because they are un-refundable if you have to cancel last minute. I would never buy it on a vacation like WDW that is completely refundable if you cancel have to cancel last minute. It's also good to have the added medical protection. Enjoy your cruise.

I agree. I have never purchased travel insurance for my WDW trips because 1) I'm not out the full amount of the cost of the vacation if I have to postpone or cancel at the last minute, 2) If my flight gets delayed, I could just miss a few hours, maybe a day, of my vacation. Whereas with a cruise, if you don't make it there by the all aboard time, you either miss the entire cruise or spend a lot of money to catch up with the ship at the next port. 3) As I mentioned above, having a serious medical issue while in Florida is a much different scenario than having a serious medical issue on the ship while at sea or at a foreign port.

I have never purchased travel insurance - I always thought it was a waste of money, and the slim chance of needing it wasn't worth the cost. We just took our first cruise last week though, and I will now purchase travel insurance for any future cruises we may take. We spent two days at WDW before the cruise, and my 4 year old daughter spent the whole first day throwing up (my apologies to the people at Beach Club and the boat dock who had to witness the first couple of episodes of it...). Looking back, I think it was just a combination of excitedness/nervousness, heat, and food changes, but at the time, we weren't sure if she was coming down with something. I was just short of full fledged panic - if she was actually sick, there's no way we could take her on the cruise, and all four of us would have ended up missing it. And even if it was just a 24 hour bug, and she was fine by the time of the cruise, what if another of us caught it?! Thankfully everthing was fine by the next morning, but I spent that first day desperately wishing that I had purchased travel insurance, so that we could at least take a different cruise in the future, if we missed that one.

That experience also made me hyper aware of all of the other things that could go wrong with a cruise in particular (flight delays, car trouble on the way to the port, losing identification/birth certificates, etc.) that would cause us to miss out on our cruise entirely, ruin our cruise experience, lose all the money we had paid for it, and/or cost us a ton of additional money. I realized a cruise is totally different than most other vacations, and I won't risk taking one without travel insurance again.

I have never purchased travel insurance - I always thought it was a waste of money, and the slim chance of needing it wasn't worth the cost. We just took our first cruise last week though, and I will now purchase travel insurance for any future cruises we may take. We spent two days at WDW before the cruise, and my 4 year old daughter spent the whole first day throwing up (my apologies to the people at Beach Club and the boat dock who had to witness the first couple of episodes of it...). Looking back, I think it was just a combination of excitedness/nervousness, heat, and food changes, but at the time, we weren't sure if she was coming down with something. I was just short of full fledged panic - if she was actually sick, there's no way we could take her on the cruise, and all four of us would have ended up missing it. And even if it was just a 24 hour bug, and she was fine by the time of the cruise, what if another of us caught it?! Thankfully everthing was fine by the next morning, but I spent that first day desperately wishing that I had purchased travel insurance, so that we could at least take a different cruise in the future, if we missed that one.

That experience also made me hyper aware of all of the other things that could go wrong with a cruise in particular (flight delays, car trouble on the way to the port, losing identification/birth certificates, etc.) that would cause us to miss out on our cruise entirely, ruin our cruise experience, lose all the money we had paid for it, and/or cost us a ton of additional money. I realized a cruise is totally different than most other vacations, and I won't risk taking one without travel insurance again.

Great post.

Glad everything worked out for you. Your experience highlights exactly why travel insurance is so important for a cruise.

I do think its important to remember that the sort of insurance products those of us in the States can get are pretty sad compared to those Europeans and Canadians can get. We in the US have to buy it for each trip and make sure it covers each thing we want it to cover. Others have access to insurance you buy for your trips in a year and that sort of thing. Neat for them, but worth remembering when someone with access to such products is giving Americans advice. Not quite the same insurance.

For me, insurance wouldn't/doesn't make me feel assured or better about being in a different country. All it does is let me know that expenses should be covered if I managed to buy the right insurance.

Autumnslight, what sort of screening did your family get when you indicated that 48 hours pre-cruise she was vomiting? Can't remember if that health question involves fever AND vomiting or if the latter stands alone.

People in the UK have a choice, we have trip by trip insurance yes we have annual insurance, I use trip by trip but Annual family cover can be cheaper.

My posts have been just to say "to buy Insurance", whichever way you want it, which ever company you use. The reasons to insure are common the world around, the risk are common the world around.

Cruising is expensive, cruising can lead to higher risks, cruising the cancellation costs can be high and not like cancelling WDW or a hotel. Thats common world wide.

I do think its important to remember that the sort of insurance products those of us in the States can get are pretty sad compared to those Europeans and Canadians can get.

Do you have any idea why that is? Why can't insurance companies sell Americans the same policies they sell those from other countries?

Do you have any idea why that is? Why can't insurance companies sell Americans the same policies they sell those from other countries?

Insurance is a highly regulated product and it is regulated on a state by state basis. Most states require that insurance companies file their policies with individual states' departments of insurance for each state they plan to sell the policy in. Some states require that insurance companies receive prior approval for their policies and rates. There may be regulations that make it too costly or complicated to underwrite and market the same products in the US that are offered in other countries. Or it could be that companies don't find it as profitable to offer those products in the US. I don't know for sure what the reasons are but I would guess it's something along those lines.

Thanks, this was an excellent post, sorry things did go down that way, but happy it all turned out! I have not second guess my choice what so ever, I just know, if anything happens, or something gets missed or weather, just sucks....I am 100% covered. Would I buy just for Disney? No, not at all. Just for cruising! Worth every cent

Before I had a young child, I rarely purchased travel insurance despite a lot of international travel (I bought it once, when I was going rafting through the jungle in Asia - otherwise, never). But young kids get sick in ways adults just don't. What manifests as a minor cold for me can quickly become a no-flying-possible ear infection in my son, and the amount of vomit bugs that kids get with no warning is something no one is ever prepared for. I'd never buy it for a trip to Disneyland and I get that everyone's family situation (and risk tolerance) is different, but I buy it now for cruises and anticipate that I likely will buy it for any nonrefundable international travel, at least until my son is a little older.

Autumnslight, what sort of screening did your family get when you indicated that 48 hours pre-cruise she was vomiting? Can't remember if that health question involves fever AND vomiting or if the latter stands alone.

The health questionnaire we had to fill out said it was specifically targeted towards Ebola, and it asked if anyone had a fever AND another sympton, such as vomiting, diarrhea, etc. within the past 48 hours. She hadn't had a fever (I was terrified and had checked!), so we answered "no" to the questions.

The health questionnaire we had to fill out said it was specifically targeted towards Ebola, and it asked if anyone had a fever AND another sympton, such as vomiting, diarrhea, etc. within the past 48 hours. She hadn't had a fever (I was terrified and had checked!), so we answered "no" to the questions.

While Ebola was a reason for the form to be revamped, the primary illnesses they are looking for are gastrointestinal bugs, especially norovirus.

For any big/expensive vacation we always purchase trip insurance, especially one that has a paid in full date and you start loosing some or all of your cost depending on when you are forced to cancel once you are within this. And a cruise is one of these for us, too many things that can come up to delay your start; to having to outright cancel. From weather and mechanical problems at airport delaying takeoff, health issues, and what we are experiencing now a sudden death in the family.

Agree.

WDW, most go there on land, maybe drive, and you go on safe tested rides and on safe coaches, and eat normal standard food.

Cruise, out at sea, eat more than normal, eat in foreign ports, drink far more than normal, out at sea so water and may slip over, cruise come in late, miss the boat, someone ill at sea, need to fly off, or fly home. Do more risky things, Jet ski, Zip line, climb things, fall over. Then there is the weather, hurricanes ships avoiding storms getting back late. Etc etc

How do you suppose these insurance companies stay in business?

How do you suppose these insurance companies stay in business?

The same way all insurance companies do. They take in more in premiums than they pay out in claims.

That doesn't mean that you shouldn't buy insurance. Do you have car insurance, insurance on your home, life insurance, medical insurance, etc? Each and every one of these companies stays in business the same way.

We should insure for the big hits, not the small ones. Medical Evacuation could really put a hurt on most people. So you insure against that hit, just in case.

Medical Evacuation could really put a hurt on most people.
Most definitely. And many people may not be aware that many medical insurance coverage plans (at least in the US) do not cover "out of country". And you are considered "out of country" as soon as you step onboard.

I buy medical only--.

Wondering tho--anybody know the ACTUAL stats of how often claims are made for Cruise Insurance?

I seem to recall from somewhere that 95% of the time there is no claim and it's a "fat cow" for the Insurance companies.

The same way all insurance companies do. They take in more in premiums than they pay out in claims.

That doesn't mean that you shouldn't buy insurance. Do you have car insurance, insurance on your home, life insurance, medical insurance, etc? Each and every one of these companies stays in business the same way.

We should insure for the big hits, not the small ones. Medical Evacuation could really put a hurt on most people. So you insure against that hit, just in case.

Oh yes--they exist to make money. And that means taking in as much premiums as possible and paying the fewest claims possible.

I buy medical only--.

Wondering tho--anybody know the ACTUAL stats of how often claims are made for Cruise Insurance?

I seem to recall from somewhere that 95% of the time there is no claim and it's a "fat cow" for the Insurance companies.

The claim frequency isn't as important as the loss ratio. Let's say the average premium is $200. But one medical evacuation could be $100K. They'd have to sell 500 $200 policies to make up for one $100K med evac claim. And that's ignoring their expenses, such as adjusters, customer service reps, marketing, underwriting, etc. The stats I've seen are a loss ratio (dollars in claims payments divided by premium) of 60%. That isn't too much different from regular insurance products that you likely have, such as auto or homeowners. The loss ratio on those products is often in the 70% range. Expenses are usually in the 20% to 25% range, which leaves 5%-10% for profit. That would mean travel insurance would have a slightly higher profit margin, in the 15% to 20% range, but it's certainly not 95% profit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter