just bought into the DVC lots of questions

We bought into DVC in 2013 while on a cruise and we were excited at first, then we were scared, then I wanted to cancel, then we booked our first trip with our points, now I don't regret it. I will tell you, it is scary to think about spending all that money - especially when you see your bank statement every month.(lol) So as a fairly newbie I can say that the only person who knows if you made the right choice is you.

People who have been members for 8 or 10 or more years didn't pay as much for points and have probably paid them off by now (or at least will soon be done) and have probably already taken a few vacations so they are beginning to recoup their initial investment. Of all the members I've spoken to, the longer members seem to be the happiest with their decision. Newer members obviously paid more for the points and probably haven't been on enough trips to see a return on their investment yet so it seems they are the ones less happy. By no means am I saying this is so for all members, just in general this seems to be the case.

We got our 2013 points when we bought in and banked them, then used our 2014 points and borrowed our 2015 points to go on another cruise last summer and we had a great time. That cruise would have cost us over $7,000 easily just for the stateroom, not including airfare and onboard expenses, if we had paid out of pocket (we prefer Verandahs so the price was higher). Now we are going to WDW in August and staying in a 1BR villa at the BWV and that room would probably run us close to $5,000 if we paid out of pocket (granted, if we were paying OOP, we would not be staying in a 1BR, we'd be staying in a regular room but even that room would have run us about $3,000 for the week. So right there after two trips we will have already recouped about half of what we paid. We figure that if we take two or three more trips, we will break even and all our trips after that will actually be saving us money. It still makes me cringe though at the thought of paying this off for another 7 years but I don't regret it.

With that said, if Poly is your home resort you can book as early as 11 months out so it shouldn't be a problem booking. The villas are DVC hotels and members have preference in them when booking. My home resort is AKV but we booked BWV with no problem at 7 months.

I really hope you re think it through and come to a decision that works for you but go by how you feel. I concur with some others on here, if I had read this before buying I would have been scared off. I'm glad I didn't.

Last edited:
just got back from a great stay at the world---so great we finally bought into the DVC

our guide told us for example if we want a 7 nite stay does it have to be sun through sat to get the weekly rate--what wed like to do is stay a couple of nites were also looking into a cruise not sure yet of where I guess when they release the itineries then well make our plans
so wed like to stay a few nites before the cruise and then maybe 5 nites after

thanks all
You can stay any number of nights and you can arrive and leave on any day. It's just the Friday and Saturday night points are higher. So whether you do a Sunday to a Saturday or a Wednesday through a Tuesday the points will be the same 5 weekday points (Sunday through Thursday) and 2 weekend points (Friday and Saturday). They just provide the total points for the week so you can see it more easily and not have to do the math.

Last edited:
If the OP bought a guaranteed week, would that have to be booked as Sunday through Saturday nights (check out Sunday)? To book for example a Tuesday through Monday night stay would they have to give up their guaranteed week for that year and book via normal mechanism?

If the OP bought a guaranteed week, would that have to be booked as Sunday through Saturday nights (check out Sunday)? To book for example a Tuesday through Monday night stay would they have to give up their guaranteed week for that year and book via normal mechanism?
What do you mean by a guaranteed week? You mean like in traditional timeshares where you buy a certain week that you have to stick to? I never heard of that at Disney.

Last edited:

I was wondering that myself. A guaranteed week is for seven consecutive nights beginning from one Sunday to the next Sunday.

What do you mean by a guaranteed week? You mean like in traditional timeshares where you buy a certain week that you have to stick to? I never heard of that at Disney.

They first offered it at Aulani, then Grand Floridian and now Polynesian.

Is this something recent? We bought AKV in 2013 and didn't get any specific week.

As I said, they first offered it at Aulani, then Grand Floridian then Polynesian. Unless you purchased there you would not have had the option to buy a guaranteed week.

As I said, they first offered it at Aulani, then Grand Floridian then Polynesian. Unless you purchased there you would not have had the option to buy a guaranteed week.

And yes - its like a traditional timeshare. You are guaranteed a room of the type you locked in on the same week every year. I don't think it's the same room every time - just that room category / view.

You can also trade the points for regular DVC-type points (not sure of their trade value).

First, congratulations on your purchase!
Welcome Home!
As long as you are happy with your purchase, that is all that matters. When we purchased, I'm sure that DH and I were not as well versed in DVC as we should have been, but who is? We love our DVC and don't regret it a bit. BLT owners here. Again, Welcome Home!

IMO the FYI posts are well meaning and might provide info that the buyer wasn't aware of. There are plenty of feel good posts on Disney and DVC but not as many reality posts but that number is increasing. Once the buyer has all of the information, not just what's provided by the seller, they can make an informed decision. If they want to ignore posts good, bad or educational, that's their choice. If just one buyer saves money, gets the resort that they really want, or learns something that is a benefit to them, then an open forum is important.

:earsboy: Bill

IMO the FYI posts are well meaning and might provide info that the buyer wasn't aware of. There are plenty of feel good posts on Disney and DVC but not as many reality posts but that number is increasing. Once the buyer has all of the information, not just what's provided by the seller, they can make an informed decision. If they want to ignore posts good, bad or educational, that's their choice. If just one buyer saves money, gets the resort that they really want, or learns something that is a benefit to them, then an open forum is important.

IMO, we will have to agree to disagree. FYI posts are great to me if shared in the right context on the appropriate forum. It would completely turn me off to any FYI advice if it has nothing to do with my questions.

IMO, we will have to agree to disagree. FYI posts are great to me if shared in the right context on the appropriate forum. It would completely turn me off to any FYI advice if it has nothing to do with my questions.

But what if you didn't know about resale, about other resorts, you wouldn't know to ask the right questions. Many haven't posted much in the DVC forums and they become active when they buy while on a cruise or while on vacation at WDW and their post starts with, "so excited just bought".

If I go to the DCL forum and post that I just booked 9G or what ever the cabin numbers are and it's next to the engine room I would hope that someone with knowledge would post that I might want to re-think my choice and not just post congratulations.

But what if you didn't know about resale, about other resorts, you wouldn't know to ask the right questions. Many haven't posted much in the DVC forums and they become active when they buy while on a cruise or while on vacation at WDW and their post starts with, "so excited just bought".

If I go to the DCL forum and post that I just booked 9G or what ever the cabin numbers are and it's next to the engine room I would hope that someone with knowledge would post that I might want to re-think my choice and not just post congratulations.

I just know how the OP felt and I still stand by my opinion. I also think if anyone wants to offer additional advice the OP did not ask for, ask them that?

Instead of everyone saying, cancel now!! Ask them if they would be interested in some additional info about resale options. Then if they say yes I would, then share. If not then let it go.

Doesn't do any good to share the FYI info if in the process everyone runs off the OP, as happened in this thread.

I just know how the OP felt and I still stand by my opinion. I also think if anyone wants to offer additional advice the OP did not ask for, ask them that?

Instead of everyone saying, cancel now!! Ask them if they would be interested in some additional info about resale options. Then if they say yes I would, then share. If not then let it go.

Doesn't do any good to share the FYI info if in the process everyone runs off the OP, as happened in this thread.

You do?

And the "cancel now" wasn't so that they could buy resale. There is nothing wrong with buying direct.....if you know what you are buying. The OP did not.

You do?

And the "cancel now" wasn't so that they could buy resale. There is nothing wrong with buying direct.....if you know what you are buying. The OP did not.

Yes I do know how he felt and honestly I am tried of this and I am sure everyone else is too. Some you will never concede the OP knew what they were doing. I personally think that is a lot to assume from this posting and therefore I find it rude to the OP. It is one thing to "offer" advice. It is something else to insult and then try to offer advice. If everyone had not rushed the OP with advice not asked for; you might have learned he knows more than you think.

Honestly I don't think you will ever get it. I will say this though and honestly let's let it go. When you try to cram advice down someone's throat all they do is choke on it.

Last edited:

Weird - Bought at GF and was never offered that option.

The guides do not usually volunteer this info. They just want to get the sale done and don't want to add in any confusion. The less you know the better as far as they are concerned.

It seemed to be an offering in response for those who were put off by DVC being points, not fixed weeks. So, of you were going thru the sales pitch but said you didn't want to buy because you didn't think you could get the reservation when you wanted to then it would be mentioned. However, there was a report or two of guides who when asked weren't aware of it either! Mostly it seemed like you needed to find the information about it elsewhere so you could ask about it. Wil Lovato kept track of the weeks sold and I believe indicated that they never reached the 35% limit they had established for any one week of the year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter