Just booked our first ABD! Junior Adventurer Question...

floridadream

Mouseketeer
Hi Everyone--

I'm a frequent lurker over on the WDW boards but I just booked our first ABD Viva Italia tour for August so I'll be here more often :)

I understand that one of the main benefits of ABD is the inclusion of children. I know there are a few Jr Adventurer activities scheduled, but I'm a little weary separating from the kids (ages 9 & 12). Does anyone have any feedback on the comfort level of letting them have their own time? I understand that everyone is different on this, but just looking for info on supervision, your experiences, etc.

Thanks-- so excited to start this journey!

We took trips when our twins were 9 and again when they were 12. Adults are welcome to join the kids if they like. By the time most Jr. Adventurer activities take place, the guides have developed a relationship with you and your kids and the comfort level for us was always there. The kids had also developed a tight comradery with other kids. Even a couple of parents that were helicopter parents did fine - their kids actually asked them to leave them alone - which they ultimately did. ABD does more than just tell a story - they really provide opportunities for all types of experiences and growth all within safe bounds. Trust them? Absolutely. Trips of a lifetime? You'll be hooked. Relax and enjoy - let them do the work and take care of you.

Our son took his first trip when he was four! Your kids are the perfect age at 9 and 12. When our son was really little, I would always ask the guides first what the plan would be and if they thought it was appropriate for him to participate. He did really well and was welcomed at all the activities.

The Juniors are always close by and I have always felt comfortable. Some groups we have been on, the kids have really bonded and wanted to sit together and hang at every activity. Other groups, our son has mostly just stayed with us. You will be able to tell how your group is within the first few days and then don't be afraid to ask the guides questions and if your kids don't want to go with the Juniors, it will be more than fine.

The Junior Adventurer activities vary by trip. Across our trips, we have had some kids not do the Junior Adventurer activities, and some adults choose the Junior Adventurer activities instead!
Once the time comes on the trip, you will have a sense of you and your kids comfort level and interest in the Junior Adventurer activity.
Our daughter was 6 when we went to South Africa. At the Gold Museum one evening, the adults were downstairs having a tour and champagne. The kids were upstairs with the guides. We hear a terrible scream.....it was my daughter who screamed when they turned the lights off to demonstrate something! I stayed with her the rest of the time - I think the kid version of the museum tour was more fun the adult one!
I am sure you will all have a great time, regardless of what you all choose.

We did Viva Italia with our kids 14 & 10.
Most things are done as a group and when divided, they will be next door or within earshot.
Kid movie night while the adults do wine tasting next door, etc..
For some of the historic sites/museums, an on-site guide will lead the parents while the ABD guides will lead the kids. Perfect for when kids would be bored with an art history lesson or mock sword fights with a gladiator instead of a walking lecture.

You can always sit with your kids for meals/on the bus/train, but within a few days, they will segregate themselves, and create a kids-only section.
It's a great set up for parents AND kids.

We are doing our first ABD next summer, also Viva Italia, the August 4th departure. My children will be 6 and 8 when we go. ABD reassured me that those ages are ok, so I hope it goes well! I wouldn't have any qualms about 9 and 12 year olds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter