Just Booked! Nervous and excited...

krismom2000

Mouseketeer
We've done WDW every year for the last 7 years and decided to go with a cruise this year. Problem is- I'm completely out of my comfort zone planning wise.
We are booked on a 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise. We have 2 cat 8 ocean view staterooms.
So far, the plan is to *gulp* drive to Port Canaveral from NY. The flights are insanely high and would add $4,000 to the overall cost! :headache:
So far my questions are:
~is parking at the port expensive? Do I need to make a reservation of any kind to do so?
~what "theme" clothes/costumes do I need? My kids are 10,8,8 and 6. I don't want them to feel left out- but they aren't big into dress up anymore.
~speaking of dress up- just how formal is the formal night? Does my hubby need a suit? (We aren't planning on hitting Palo)
~Can my kids stay together if they choose to do any activities?
~What excursions/ activities do you recommend while at port?

Thanks in advance for any and all info! I truly appreciate it. :lovestruc

Hey Stinker. Yeah for you!! Warm up that truck for the long haul down to FL!!

You guys are going to have such a blast.

I'll answer these questions for ya if we can pull off that Panera-meet this week. Let me know!! :thumbsup2

I bet you will have gotten lots of good advice on here by then!

We've done WDW every year for the last 7 years and decided to go with a cruise this year. Problem is- I'm completely out of my comfort zone planning wise.
We are booked on a 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise. We have 2 cat 8 ocean view staterooms.
So far, the plan is to *gulp* drive to Port Canaveral from NY. The flights are insanely high and would add $4,000 to the overall cost! :headache:
So far my questions are:
~is parking at the port expensive? Do I need to make a reservation of any kind to do so?
~what "theme" clothes/costumes do I need? My kids are 10,8,8 and 6. I don't want them to feel left out- but they aren't big into dress up anymore.
~speaking of dress up- just how formal is the formal night? Does my hubby need a suit? (We aren't planning on hitting Palo)
~Can my kids stay together if they choose to do any activities?
~What excursions/ activities do you recommend while at port?

Thanks in advance for any and all info! I truly appreciate it. :lovestruc

Hi there! First let me say that you are in for the time of your life. We were in the EXACT position as you...long time WDW visitors and NEVER cruised. DH wasn't really interested, but I REALLY wanted to cruise. We had an AWESOME time and have already booked another one (unfortunately not until 2011, but we wanted the Dream).

I hope I can answer a few questions for you.

1. Parking--no exp here, but someone will come along, I'm sure.

2. Dress up clothing. You needn't bring any pirate or princess stuff UNLESS you want to. I did not because I had brought SO MUCH stuff already. There were people dressed up in pirate gear and others not. For the most part, people did not dress up.

3. Again, dress up can be what you want to do. I had comfortable sundresses with a light sweater, DH wore dockers and a button down shirt and brought a jacket for Palo, but if you are not going there, you don't have to bring one. My children were dressed the same way as we were.

4. You can go easy or crazy on the excursions. It is all up to you. We did the stingray excursion on CC and rented snorkel gear. Our only other port was Nassau and since we hadn't cruised before, we spent a little bit of $ and did the Dolphin Encounter. It was a hit.

5. As far as the kids staying together, I don't have a lot of exp with that one, as my guys were in two separate clubs and only went briefly.

If I can give you a tip....check out the DIS Cruise Meets board and see if one is started for your cruise. Part of the fun of our cruise was meeting other Disers, decorating our stateroom door and participating in a Fish Extender swap.

I hope you have a MAGICAL time!!! Let me know if you have any other questions!!

Parking EASY as pie! Cost is $15 per day and you will pay when you park. You can pay cash or credit card. We ALWAYS drive to Port Canaveral and it is such an each drive....we are from Central Virginia and it takes us a total of 12 hours.

Parking at the port, when you arrive at the enterance just follow the signs for Disney (Royal Carbbian and Carnival also have ships there). Have your ID ready for the gate security, you then drive up to the curb drop off the family and luggage and then you can park the car.

Another thought that you might want to consider. There are several hotels in Cape Canaveral, Cocco Beach area that offer a park and cruise. For one price you get your room, parking at the hotel for the entire length of your cruise and a transfers to and from the ship. Cost is usually $164ish per room. Just a thought. We have also stopped in Jacksonville for the night and drive the rest of the way in the morning (only 2.5hrs).

Happy Crusing....you will love it!:dance3:

is parking at the port expensive? Do I need to make a reservation of any kind to do so?
As of August it was $14 a day, no reservation needed. A couple of the hotels have stay and park if you spend the night before the cruise you can park at the hotel cheaper. They will give you a ride to and from the ship.

what "theme" clothes/costumes do I need? My kids are 10,8,8 and 6. I don't want them to feel left out- but they aren't big into dress up anymore.
On "pirate night many people (kids and adults) dress like pirates any where from full "Jack Sparrow to red striped shirts and bandanas or pirate themed t-shirts. Little girls usually bring their "princess" dresses for formal night.You can go with as much or as little as you like.

speaking of dress up- just how formal is the formal night? Does my hubby need a suit? (We aren't planning on hitting Palo)

Once again it is more or less do what you feel like. It runs the gambit from New Year's Eve glitter dresses to just a nice linen dress. I like to rent a tux (white dinner jacket with black pants in the summer) so I don't have to pack a suit or dress shoes. It is only $80 for the week including shoes. On the other nights I just wear dress slacks with a "Tommy Bahama" style shirt. This would work for formal night as well.

Can my kids stay together if they choose to do any activities?

The Oceaneers club is for children 3-7. My niece was 7 when she went and thought it was too babified for her. Oceaneers Lab which is for kids 8-12 is less structured. They might let the 6 year old go to the Lab (the age range is kinda fluid) But they would be the youngest there. I think the 10 year old could have the option to check themself in and out (it is up to you if you want them to.) My niece and nephnew (9 and 12 on the last trip) go for a while in the morning, eat lunch with us, swim or catch a movie, and go back after the show at night. Depending on what the friends they have made do.

What excursions/ activities do you recommend while at port?

We have only done the Eastern Once. (Western 6 or 7 times) and didn't do any excursions. A lot of people do snorkling, but we do that on Castaway Cay much, much cheaper. We thought the shopping in St. Thomas was very good.

We have done over 14 Disney Cruises and love it. The food is great and the staff is very attentive. I know you will have a great time. I would be glad to answer any other question you may have.

Hey Stinker. Yeah for you!! Warm up that truck for the long haul down to FL!!

You guys are going to have such a blast.

I'll answer these questions for ya if we can pull off that Panera-meet this week. Let me know!! :thumbsup2

I bet you will have gotten lots of good advice on here by then!

Hey You! Looking forward to Panera- sent you an EMail.

Thanks everyone for the good advice-
Are there any must book excursions or reservations I should be making now (6 weeks prior to trip)
I feel very unprepared! :rolleyes1

You may want to reconsider going to Palo -- it is always a memorable evening for me and my DW. For both the "adult time" and the GREAT food!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter