JUST BACK - what new things I learned that you may want to know!

blondie511

Mouseketeer
Just back from Disney this week. I learnd a bunch, even though I've been going for years to Disney:
1. If you are on the DDP, watch out for those non-alcoholic drinks that your server says are included on the plan at no extra cost to you. Disney just recently added a few and at one restaurant they were included, and another charged us after saying they were included. Double check!!!
2. If you plan on having the resort print off your boarding passes for you the day before you depart, be sure to tell them that you also need to pre-pay for your checked luggage at that time. Our consierge forgot and exited the airline's website and then it will NOT let you go back to do it. (Frontier airlines)
3. If you want ice cream as your dessert with your resort quick service meal, just tell the cashier. They will hand you an empty dish to get your own soft serve whenever you want later (so it isn't melting while you eat your meal).
4. Please allow at least an hour to get from resort-to-resort for dinner reservations - even if it is slow season! If you get there too early you can always walk around and enjoy the atmosphere.
5. Have you ever tried to get to your restaurant for your reservations during an afternoon parade - I must tell you it is impossible to move. Luckily, some restaurants take that into consideration and actually close during parades, or don't care if you are late because they know there is no way to get there. (tusker house, animal kingdom)
6. There is a single rider line for Everest that we never saw anyone use - walk on totally - we rode 4 times in a row. Take advantage of it!
7. You CAN swap out an extra quick service meal for 3 snacks at the Contempo Cafe at the Contemporary Resort. My resort, The Caribbean Beach, refused to do it. When I told the manager that I read on dis boards that I could at the Contempo, he told me, " Never believe those dis boards, it's a bunch of lies". The Contempo said , "Absolutely, no problem."
8. The Caribbean Beach resort front desk told me the fridges are now around 100% done there.
9. Even if the hourly weather forecast is for 90% rain ALL DAY, still bring sunscreen and sunglasses - it never rained a drop that day, and we checked the forecast as we left our room!
10. Space Mountain was supposed to be closed for rehab. the day we were there 9/26, but it was open all day! So have HOPE if the attraction that you really want is schedulled to be closed!
11. The Halloween Party did sell out this week (September), so plan ahead, someone told us that it rarely ever happens other than the few days around Halloween.:thumbsup2
12. There is no way to get to the Beach Club from EPCOT if you don't have a park ticket. I was shocked at this one: we had dinner reservations at the Cape May Cafe one night, so we went to EPCOT to take the bus there to Beach Club, but there is NO BUS that does that! If you have a park ticket you can take the "back door" to get to EPCOT at the International Gateway, but that's the only way. We had to take another bus from EPCOT to Hollywood Studios, and then a boat to the Beach Club - about 1.5 hours too!

7. Just because one restaurant did it, doesn't mean you should expect all restaurants to do it.

11. I heard that it sold out because it was the last date in September to offer a CM discount, and the discounted dates for October hadn't been released yet, so that CMs who wanted to get the discount either had to go then or hope that dates would be released for October.

12. That shouldn't have been a surprise. When you can easily walk from the BC to Epcot, why would there need to be a bus?

1. Although the dining plan says one non-alcoholic beverage, it does not mean every non-alc drink on the menu. Basically it is any fountain drink such as soda, coffee, tea, iced tea, lemonade - typically any drink that includes free refills. Some of the Disney owned restaurants will allow additional options (milk shakes, smoothies, virgin cocktails, specialty coffees, etc), but it is at each restaurant's discretion so you do have to ask every time. The third party restaurants only offer fountain drinks because they are reimbursed by Disney according to the rules Disney has set.

3. Or some of the food courts will write a specific time limit to return for your ice cream - approx one hour, rather than a container for the dessert. Again, it varies with the food court (just like the beverages). :)

4. Getting from resort to resort can be time consuming. You have to allow for extra time just in case you just missed the bus or boat or monorail. I've seen recommendations to allow as much as 45 minutes per leg of the trip.

6. Yes EE, Test Track and Rock N Roller Coaster have single rider lines.

7. Converting CS credits to snacks has gotten more difficult. While some resort food courts will still allow it, others will not. In the FAQs of the 2013 dining plan brochure it does say it is not allowed, so the Contempo Cafe was dispensing pixie dust. From the DDP brochure:
Q. Can Guests substitute a table-service or quick-service entitlement for a snack?
A. No, Guests may not substitute a table-service or quick-service entitlement for a snack.

12. I am sure you're not the only one who didn't realize you can't get a bus from the front of Epcot to the Epcot resorts. However, since anyone staying at the resorts would just walk out the IG and take the boat or walk to their resort, there probably isn't much need for a bus route.

Isn't it amazing how much you learn, even when you've been to DW many times. :thumbsup2

Heading down in less than a month :cool1: and the list and responses has been very helpful!

For #7, we had an extra TS credit (DxDP) and the food court at POR allowed us to trade it in for three snacks.

Could have saved yourself about load ( pun intended) by taking a cab from EPCOT to Cape May. Would have been relatively inexpensive as they are very close.

Also I was there last year in September when MNSSHP sold out so if you really want to attend the party I highly recommend advance purchase.

7. You CAN swap out an extra quick service meal for 3 snacks at the Contempo Cafe at the Contemporary Resort. My resort, The Caribbean Beach, refused to do it. When I told the manager that I read on dis boards that I could at the Contempo, he told me, " Never believe those dis boards, it's a bunch of lies". The Contempo said , "Absolutely, no problem."

thank you I needed a good laugh :rotfl2:

6. There is a single rider line for Everest that we never saw anyone use - walk on totally - we rode 4 times in a row. Take advantage of it!

We always take advantage of single rider for Everest, Rock 'n Roller Coaster, and Test Track. This is one of our best bits of advise!

Another thing for us- we learned to try to take an earlier Magical Express bus back to the airport- we just left Disney this past Thursday- we were staying at Animal Kingdom- Kidani Village- our flight left at 3:00- so we were picked up at 12- the paper said get there 15 min early- so we did- we ended up NOT leaving the last Disney Hotel until 1:40- so we still had to ride to the airport, get our luggage checked bc they couldn't do it at the resort for some reason, and get through security. By the time we got to the gate, we only had about 5 minutes before they were boarding- WAY too close in my opinion- so from now on, we will either request an earlier bus or take a cab- had any line been longer, we would have been in trouble!

Another thing for us- we learned to try to take an earlier Magical Express bus back to the airport- we just left Disney this past Thursday- we were staying at Animal Kingdom- Kidani Village- our flight left at 3:00- so we were picked up at 12- the paper said get there 15 min early- so we did- we ended up NOT leaving the last Disney Hotel until 1:40- so we still had to ride to the airport, get our luggage checked bc they couldn't do it at the resort for some reason, and get through security. By the time we got to the gate, we only had about 5 minutes before they were boarding- WAY too close in my opinion- so from now on, we will either request an earlier bus or take a cab- had any line been longer, we would have been in trouble!

Wow I always end up at the airport over an hour before our flight boards. All the while I am thinking how I could have gone on one last ride.

To the OP, thanks for the tips!

Having used Magical Express many times I have learned it is not at all magical nor express. When I have paid a fortune for a WDW trip and stayed on site for my hotel, the last thing I want to do is spend all day either getting there or having to leave four hours early to make my flight. I cough up an extra $50 and take a private limo. In the scheme of things this is not expensive, they help with my luggage and get me there efficiently (read "express") and in comfort.;)

We had the same problem. The resort couldn't check our bag and we were on the bus for hr and half by the time we got to the airport. Then had to check the bag and get through long lines in security. Not fun at all! Defiantly getting a car next time!

Having used Magical Express many times I have learned it is not at all magical nor express. When I have paid a fortune for a WDW trip and stayed on site for my hotel, the last thing I want to do is spend all day either getting there or having to leave four hours early to make my flight. I cough up an extra $50 and take a private limo. In the scheme of things this is not expensive, they help with my luggage and get me there efficiently (read "express") and in comfort.;)

That was my one and only experience also - not magical nor express. It took over two hours from when we showed up for the bus until we got to the resort - took a taxi back and wouldn't use it again. I know some love it but not us.

I think I've been talked into getting a limo for the next trip there. (Plus you can get a stop at a grocery store, which can really help with the cost of bottled water!)

If you are ever in that situation and are waiting more than 15 minutes past your pick up time you need to go inside and talk to a CM. They often times will send you via cab to the airport free of charge! Don't just stand around for the next bus to show up and put yourself in a tight situation!

i love magical express,pixiedust: it has given me free rides to and from the airport for many years. altho i did have a bad experience on my last trip. i was assigned a pickup time at my resort. there were other guests there who were on my fight and had the same pickup time. a bus came and they got on. i was told that that was not my bus. i waited for the next bus, only about 15 minutes, and that should have been fine. when the bus got to the next resort a family was late because they overslept but the bus waited for them. we waited for 40 minutes while they packed luggage and got food from the quick serve at the resort. the father put one child on the bus so that they could not leave without the rest of the family. i did not know me would wait! as it was, i had to run at the airport which is not easy for an older person with disabilities. i go to my gate as they were closing the door to the airplane. luckily they let me get on the plane. that was actually the fault of a very selfish and rude family.:confused3 i think me did not know what to do with the situation.

i guess my reason for telling this story is to warn you that if it happens talk to the resort airport services and catch a cab it necessary. ;) better than missing your plane.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter