Just back! Trip was July 8-12, 2016

blemon

Mouseketeer
Just got back from an amazing trip all over Florida in our VW Vanagon. Over 3200 miles in total from WV down to the Keys and back.

We got to the Fort around 9 or so on Friday morning and the people at the gates were great. So friendly, welcoming and helpful. In fact, all CMs were amazing except for one weird dude at the Rapunzel meet in Fantasyland.

I had faxed and requested with online check in loop 1500 and when we arrived she said yes, we would have a site as soon as one opened up. Got a text around 11. Read my earlier thread about AC issues. We had a torrential downpour that flooded the van and I seriously was afraid the canal behind the site (waterfront, indeed!!) was going to overflow. It was so close. So much rain in a very little time. After the rain we saw one mosquito. That was it.

Friday we got set up, took the boat to the Contemporary to see the amazing Mary Blair mural. We also rode the monorail over to Epcot and around the whole circle, then went to the pool, headed over to the campfire singalong which was great. Loved meeting Dale. This was my daughter's first time at Disney so it was truly magical. I was getting all teary-eyed just watching her absolute joy. So great. The guy singing was really incredible with the kids. It was not overly crowded. Wonderful night.

Saturday we got up at the crack of dawn and headed to our 8:15 reservation at CRT. The kid hiked up her snow white gown and rode on the back of my husband's bike to the boat (he has pegs on his bike). I took photos of her like I was the paparazzi. Took the boat to the Contemporary and walked over. It was very cool at that time. Not hot. We waited in line until they opened up the gates and let us in. It was so empty. Got tons of pics of her in front of the castle with no one else. We got seated right away and were let in before our res. Worth every penny of that cost. No doubt (and we are vegetarian).

Used touring plans. Checked out Fantasyland and Tomorrowland. The plans were accurate down to about 2 minutes. Amazing. We didn't wait in line for more than 10 minutes for anything. Headed back to the Fort around 3. Dealt with the aftermath of the rain then headed back for the fireworks (which we missed because we were stuck on the people mover inside space mountain -- yes, it was awful).

Sunday we got up early and went to Epcot. Just rode the buses.

Never waited long for buses within the fort or to and from anywhere. Ever.
Rode our bikes a good bit as well.

DH and kid tapped off magic bands at the character spot where I had FP and they went to Soarin'. They waited about 20 minutes. I was first to see the characters.
Then I went across the way and waited for 1 person to see Baymax (love). Then no one was waiting for Joy and Sadness except for one family so I went ahead to say hi even though I am not like a superfan or anything although I did enjoy the movie.

Had FP for FEA and loved it. Great ride. Really great. Saw Anna and Elsa. Waited maybe 8 minutes.
Then walked around the whole world and headed home when we were dead. I think it was 5 or 6.
Had a delicious lunch at Marrakesh. Got to see Belle in the blue dress. She was perfect.
That grapefruit beer in Germany truly is delicious.

That night we watched the boats on the lake down at the marina of the Fort then the MK fireworks after. Very nice.

Monday back to MK for Frontierland, Main St. and Liberty Square and Adventureland. Again, no waits because of Touring Plans.

Watched the parade from Frontierland then headed back to the Fort around 5. Had dinner in the van then swam in the pool until dark.

Monday we took our time packing up and headed to Wekiwa Springs. Site 31 is the absolute best.

So a great trip.

The campground was great but I wouldn't stay there unless I was going to Disney. There are so many amazing state parks in FL that are so much cheaper (although I guess during other times of year the Fort is half what we paid).

It was really annoying to have to use magic bands to use the bathroom. Really really annoying at 6 a.m. when I had to pee and the thing was broken and I had to walk to the next loop. We have stayed at campgrounds all over the US and ALL of them have animals and NONE of them need an electronic device to keep animals out of the bathrooms. That is a crock of you know what.

I will try to post a pic of the van with the AC in the window when I can figure out how to do it. DH did a lovely job MacGyvering it with bungee cords and aluminum foil. It still leaked during the crazy rain but we were cool in the afternoon and at night.

I will not likely go to Disney in July ever again. It was really just unbearable. Forecast was 99 or 97 every day which felt like 110.

The pool was nice. Loved the water slide. I'm not sure what they are doing with the kiddie pool. We stood on a picnic table and spied in but it was hard to tell. Maybe making it zero entry?
The whole depth of the big pool was like 3'9", never deep so that was nice.

Wow, this is so long. Hope this helps someone as much as all the other posts helped me!
Thanks to everyone for all the advice and for answering my crazy questions.
We had a lovely time and I'm ready to go back (although I will fly and stay in a hotel next time. I love me some Florida but I'll need another 10 years to do that trip again).

If I think of anything else I'll post!

Sounds like, overall, you had a great trip. Sounded a bit hot though. Never been in July, but we braved August once and lost like 20# in the heat.

Come back and post some pics when you can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter