Just Back - Some Observations

melomouse...I think its great you got to stay at 2 different resorts!!
I think it was jsut plain old exciting you rec'd an upgrade as well!!!
Thanks for your input....as far as the single mom traveling with kids...bless you!! I think a self contained resort is probably better perhaps! You will have to try AKL next since you are more addicted now:)
Take care:)

Oh, I just thought I'd throw a few more thoughts in..... the hardest thing about Disney is picking a resort. There are so many, and I swear Disney is genius in making sure that there are positive and negative things about every resort. Thus, making it so there is NO ONE perfect resort!!! Now, I know a lot of people do have a favorite, however it is hard to find one that fits every bill. You know, some have better transportation, some have better pools, etc.

Now, I do have to say my kids loved the bunk beds we had at the WL. And, it is by far my favorite lobby of any of the resorts!!

Melomouse, I'm just so glad to hear that you were able to get moved to somewhere that you liked better, instead of being unhappy during your stay. That's always my fear that after spending all that money that I'd somehow be disappointed. It's great to find out that Disney will help you if you need to switch resorts!!!

I'm so glad you were able to switch! We did that one time when we planned a last minute (and I mean last minute- I planned it 36 hours in advance!) trip where we were to stay at PORRS. We got there, and simply hated it. We were able to switch resorts and were so happy even though we had to switch rooms twice during the rest of our trip, one night being at WL. We loved it there- unfortunately we usually have too many people to fit in the rooms now; but if we ever go just the 3 of us I would definitely want to try staying there again if we weren't going to do a monorail resort.

I'm so glad you got to switch! We visited the YC one day on a previous trip, and we just felt very uncomfortable there personally. However we stayed at the GF and felt completely at home (except in the main building concierge; but there was a big convention there and that changed the whole complexion of the place IMO). Lodge concierge, was my favorite WDW stay of all time LOL.

Laren

I definitely understand not feeling the magic with a certain decor. I would LOVE to go to the Yacht Club/Beach Club, but that theme seems different and special to me. Wilderness Lodge or the Poly, not so much since I live in Oregon and used to live in Hawaii. It's great that Disney has so many choices--I think there's a theme for everyone there. :goodvibes

This makes me feel good as we are staying at WL for the first time in Dec. We've had wonderful stays at the Poly, POR, and CBR and are hoping to continue our streak, reading your review gets me even more excited.

We also much prefer WL, to the Yacht Club, the first three days the transportation was horrible at the resort, sharing with all the other epcot resorts, and by the fourth day it was just BC and the YC. We were at the YC, this past Aug 14-21. After three days there we also really wanted to move, we asked the front desk if we could moved and talked to mangager, but there was no rooms left. He gave us a couple fast past certifcate, when we complain about the buses. I knew going in that the resort would sometime share buses with all the resort, but didn't think it was that bad since they are all close together, once we got there, different story. The boats to MGM was soooo slow moving and hot since there was no ac and you couldn't open the windows. The lack of a quick service meal was also inconvenient. I hontestly thought we were going to love YC but we just didn't.

Lalita - thanks for sharing. :)

Sorry you didn't care for YC. Your dates just overlapped mine - indeed, they said there was no room at WL to switch until the 4th night of our trip, the 20th.

We found the transport to be fine at YC, but because of the record heat in August, every walk everywhere and every wait seemed longer and mre oppeseeive than in previous Augusts. Would have loved to have actually walked from Epcot to YC - the paths were beautiful and reminded me of the "river" of POR. Alas - even at 11PM - the heat and humidity endured.

Hi Joyce! :) My studio wasn't quite the "suite" we were hoping for..lol

We were at the BWV in late August and the heat was brutal but it usually is at that time of the year..Even so I thought this year topped last..:cool2:

Having stayed at BCV last year I prefer BW myself..My home resort is VWL but I, too, have a home in the mountains and now prefer something different..IE the boardwalk "feel".

Considering only the deluxe resorts, the Yacht Club is one of the more "adult friendly" resorts. When our children were old enough where they spent most of their time at Epcot or the Studios, they preferred the YC. However, when the children were younger, they preferred the WL. Both resorts are very nice and I wouldn't hesitate to stay in either. Disney resorts offer an assortment of prices and themes, families should choose what's most comfortable for them.

I'm sorry you didn't like YC too! I kind of prompted you to love it as well! What does matter is that you found your WDW Happy Place Resort!;) Glad you had a good trip!:)

I remember, Sazzo's Mommy! Thank you!

This was a real learning experience for me. I reassessed what other resorts might "fit" my personality, style, and family vacation type after this, too.

Since at the moment, the only affordable deluxe for us is WL anf we love it - all is good. I alwayshought I might love GF or Contemporary to stay at - but now I'm realizing that, of the remaining deluxes, only the Poly holds appeal for us.

Actually - what I'm REALLY thinking is someone oughta really grab me and talk me into a VWL resale!!!!

We didn't get the Disney feeling when we went over to WL to visit, probably for the same reason you didn't at YC, bc we live in an area like that. Its funny how taste is so subjective. I DROOOOOL when we go over to YC/BC to eat, etc., (never stayed yet there either). I get the Disney feeling just seeing photos! :thumbsup2 We're going to try a split, maybe even in our Dec trip between mod and possibly YC or another Deluxe, although we're huge mod fans. I have to say though Christmas time would be the only time I would want to do WL, bc we live in a woodsy area ourselves and like the more tropical, or beach like resorts mostly and seeing palm trees, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter