Just Back - Quick Reviews

DisneyHardin

DIS Veteran
We got back Sunday and I thought I would just do some quick reviews. I didn't take pictures of our food to do a big review.

Captain Cooks - We stayed at the Poly, so we ate breakfast here everyday. Food was good - I had waffles with bacon a couple mornings, a bagel one morning and just some toast another. DH had the breakfast burrito everyday. It opens at 6:30 and the earlier you get there, the better off you are as far as crowds. One morning we waited about 20 minutes for DH's burrito and finally he went to the counter to check and they had lost his order, so that was a little frustrating. The had refillable mugs, but he soda machines were not working very well - one of the machines had no ice the entire week and the soda didn't work most of the time.

Electric Umbrella - We just had burgers, they were very good. We went during busy lunch time and they had you get into a roped off queue and then a CM directed you which cashier to go to - it was very efficient. I like that they have drink refills here.

Rose and Crown - We got seated quickly, which was nice. Our server was a little lackluster. I ordered the steak/fish combo and asked if I could sub one of the sides that it came with for fries and was told no. This is the only TS that I had ever encountered them not allowing you to switch up the sides. The server told me if I wanted fries I would have to order and pay for a side of them. DH had the fish and chips and our entrees were really good. I got the sticky toffee pudding for desert and didn't really like it - the sauce was delicious, but the actual cake was really dry. DH got a tart that he liked for desert.

Be our Guest Lunch - We pre-ordered, so checking in was a breeze. We waited about 10 minutes for our food, but when it came out it was hot and fresh. DH and I both had the roast beef sandwich. I had a Masters cupcake and he had a strawberry one. The restaurant was super busy, but I didn't think it was too loud and crazy like many people report. We ate in the music box room.

'Ohana - This is always one of our favorite dinners and it didn't disappoint. We were seated fairly quickly at a window table at the side of the restaurant. Our server was super friendly. He forgot to bring our noodles/veggie plate, but was super apologetic when we asked about it and he brought it out quickly. All the food was fantastic. The steak was by far my favorite of the meats.

Liberty Inn - My DH is a picky eater, so with all the great places in Epcot, this is what he wanted. We had burgers and fries - they were really good. For desert we both got the rocky road brownie and it wasn't too great - we just picked at them. The large air conditioned dining room is nice.

Coral Reef - We almost cancelled this because DH regretted not booking Biergarten for this year, but decided not to. I'm so glad we didn't. It was an exceptional dining experience. We didn't wait at all for our ADR and were seated right by the fish tank. Our server was very friendly and prompt with everything. I had a seafood pasta dish that was fantastic - I practically licked the bowl. DH had the strip steak with mashed potatoes and he really enjoyed it. For desert I had cheesecake and he had the mousse. The deserts were not as good as the main dishes.

1900 Park Fare Breakfast - I always like to do a character breakfast during our trips and this was one we hadn't done before. It was fine, but I think I like Chef Mickey's better. Other than The Mad Hatter, the characters were pretty lackluster. The food was good. DH loved the corned beef hash and I ate a tone of Mickey Waffles.

Columbia Harbor House - We skipped lunch and had an early dinner since we had eaten a big breakfast. I had the seafood mac and cheese and it was wonderful!! DH had the salmon plate, but subbed the couscous for fries. He really liked it. We just had the boring little chocolate cakes for desert.

Pizza Planet - We had wanted to try this the last several trips, but never had made it over there. It was fine - the Ceasar salad was a nice addition to the pizza. I had a cheese pizza and DH had pepperoni - the pizza was good, but nothing to rave about. For desert DH had the cappicuchio cupcake that he said was really good. I had the seasonal (pumpkin, I think) and it was okay.

Minnie's Holiday Dine - This dinner was the highlight of our trip. I was a little nervous since we were going on the opening night, but it ran like clockwork. The characters were fantastic and their new Holiday Outfits were great. The buffet was really good. My favorites were the seafood mac and cheese and the flank steak. DH really liked the mashed potatoes. There was lots of variety. I was a little under-impressed by the deserts because a good portion of them had peppermint on them and I don't like mint. We had a great server.

Rainforest Café - Animal Kingdom - I joined the Landry's Club and put November as my birthday so we would have a $50 credit for eating here. It was really good. The restaurant is noisy and busy, but it wasn't so much so that it distracted from our dining experience. We had an appetizer of chicken tenders - they were really good. For our lunches I had the turkey wrap and DH had the Beastly burger. The food came out quickly and was hot and fresh. Our server was good, but she was definitely rushing us along and that was a little frustrating.

Overall, we really didn't have any bad food the entire trip. Any questions about the places we ate, feel free to ask.

Great reviews! Every year I try to work Coral Reef into our schedule and then get worried about the bad reviews and end up taking it off the list. Lately I have read a number of good reviews so mentioned to DH that I would really like to try this restaurant this time. Rose and Crown is another of the restaurants that miss the final cut every year, so I was especially glad to read your review of these two places. How were the portion sizes at Rose & Crown?

I've seen a few ppl mention the LandryS club now. My birthday is November 30th and we are going 10/28-11/7 next year. You said you put November. When did the credit arrive?

I was at WDW last week- can I add a few quick reviews to your quick reviews? :)

Kona Cafe- First visit and I didn't love it. I had the Pan Asian noodles with chicken. The chicken was very tender and I was impressed with the first few bites, but then the dish turned into a big greasy mess. I also thought service was a bit slow and not as friendly as other places.

Yak & Yeti- I eat here every trip so obviously I'm a fan. I tried the Teriyaki Mahi Mahi for the first time. It was a huge piece of fish and was cooked well, but I didn't love the topping/seasoning. Service was prompt and friendly.

Tokyo Dining- I ate here twice. Service was great. Food was decent. I had sushi and the teriyaki chicken lunch special. The teriyaki sauce was a bit too salty and the spicy roll was way too spicy. But I love the atmosphere and the fact that I can always get a table immediately.

Trader Sam's Grog Grotto- I went here twice, once inside the bar and then I tried the terrace a few days later. I prefer the terrace, although the bees kept bothering me. I tried the Castaway Crush (ok, but didn't love it), the Polynesian Pearl (tasty, but not enough alcohol), the corn battered sausages (didn't like) and the salmon oshizushi (decent). Service was excellent on the terrace and inside the bar.

Food and Wine Festival- Enjoyed the lamb meatball from New Zealand.

Thanks. I have some of the same ADRS for Dec. and your reviews were both encouraging and helpful. We're also trying some new to us places this trip!

thanks for your reviews....I agree that Ohana was delicious and I love the meat and shrimp, but my favorite part was the pot stickers and wings...delicious...thanks for taking the time to do this

We were at the Poly last week too! 11/11-11/14. And my fiance had the burrito on our last day and proclaimed it one of the best he's ever had, haha. What a pain that the soda machines weren't functioning 100% of the time. We ran into the same issues.

The credit appeared Nov 1 and was good all month.
I may do this for our next trip; we're tentatively planning for April 2017 and my birthday is April 2nd. Do you know if they do anything for kids? My DD's birthday is in April also.

Thanks for sharing your experiences! We have BOG lunch and Minnie's coming up soon. I'm getting pretty excited about them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter