Just back from the Fantasy cruise to Puerto Rico

Moxin

Mouseketeer
First, AWESOME SHIP!!!!!! Yeah, they really stepped it up several notches. Wife and I commented that we were as amazed at this ship as we were with the Magic back in 98.

There are some things that need to be changed, such as the only way to the Aft elevators is going through Cabanas restaurant, which makes it very hard for those with aft staterooms going to and from the pool area. They also should, in my opinion, make it easier to get to the medical area, but that's not huge.

The shows left something to be desired though, in particular the opening show and Wishes. I get that Disney wants to appeal to the teens in the world, but doing it on a cruise ship in which teens, especially at the shows, are the lowest represented demographics is not the smartest idea in the world. The musical numbers from the movies was a nice break from the storyline, which only really appealed to high schoolers. The opening show also focused on a teen learning about how cool the Disney cruise was.

Maybe I'm an old fuddy duddy being 42, but I was hoping for better in the show category.

That said, the entertainment they brought on board was mostly awesome, especially the ventriloquist, Ronn Lucas. I kid you not, this guy is better than Jeff Dunham.

Buckets and Boards was moderately funny, although I think they have a long way to go in their act.

John Charles, as always, rocked The Tube, and if you're lucky to be on the ship with him do NOT miss his act!!!!!

The Pirates show is phenomenal, best thus far and I've been cruising with Disney since 98, and have seen that show go from a midnight airing of the original PotC movie to this astounding show and fireworks. They really knocked it out of the park.

The Aquaduck was fun, but I wish the backside part of the ride had another up/down part in it.

Puerto Rico I can't comment too much on, except for the ziplining excursion. A bit pricey at $139 each, but SOOOOOO worth it. The company hosting this activity was both very professional and VERY safe. They walk you through everything from start to finish and really make you feel comfortable the entire time, which made it so much fun. And, to top it off, they turned into food servers at the end. If you can get on this excursion, I HIGHLY recommend it, as I would rank it among the best excursions we've ever done.

We also did Remy's restaurant, and while VERY pricey, I'd say it was worth it. It was, simply put, the best meal I've ever had. Definitely do it if you can get rezzies.

As always the cruise staff was exemplary and the ships cleanliness on par with what we've come to expect from Disney.

Great cruise!!!!!!

Glad you had a great time. We're on the Dec. 15th sailing and are so excited about it! Thanks for your report.

Ron Lucas was there? Awesome!!! I hope he is on our cruise in January! Thanks for the info. Glad you had a great time. :)

Cool! Glad you had a great time. Cannot wait til ours in February :woohoo: Would love to see the Navigators from your cruise.

we are scheduled to do the zipline excursion next week so I'm thrilled to see your positive review. We saw John Charles on our magic cruise in June and he was very funny. I hope he and the ventriloquist are on our cruise.

Do you happen to have the details on which night is formal, Pirate and semi-formal? I'm trying to book my ressies accordingly for an upcoming Eastern cruise.

Thanks in advance!
Deck Cruisers

Puerto Rico I can't comment too much on, except for the ziplining excursion. A bit pricey at $139 each, but SOOOOOO worth it. The company hosting this activity was both very professional and VERY safe. They walk you through everything from start to finish and really make you feel comfortable the entire time, which made it so much fun. And, to top it off, they turned into food servers at the end. If you can get on this excursion, I HIGHLY recommend it, as I would rank it among the best excursions we've ever done.
Great cruise!!!!!!

Did you book the ziplining excursion through DCL, or independently? We would love to take our 9yo DD (who has been ziplining near where we live), but she doesn't meet the minimum weight requirement. I don't want to try to get around a requirement if it's a real safety issue, but I think she'd have a blast!

for our upcoming eastern, formal night is Sunday, pirate night is tuesday and semiformal is Thursday (Thanksgiving).

We did book our excursion through disney. If you google the company (camp rico ziplining), you might find more info about size restrictions.

Is the pirate show same as on the Dream?

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note using DISBoards

If you google the company (camp rico ziplining), you might find more info about size restrictions.

I checked out Campo Rico's site, and I didn't see anything about a minimum weight -- just a minimum age and a maximum weight. They also say the mimimum age is 6, while DCL has the minimum age as 8. I'm going to contact Camp Rico directly, but it looks as if DCL imposes stricter limits than they do.

First, AWESOME SHIP!!!!!! Yeah, they really stepped it up several notches. Wife and I commented that we were as amazed at this ship as we were with the Magic back in 98.

The shows left something to be desired though, in particular the opening show and Wishes. I get that Disney wants to appeal to the teens in the world, but doing it on a cruise ship in which teens, especially at the shows, are the lowest represented demographics is not the smartest idea in the world. The musical numbers from the movies was a nice break from the storyline, which only really appealed to high schoolers. The opening show also focused on a teen learning about how cool the Disney cruise was.

Maybe I'm an old fuddy duddy being 42, but I was hoping for better in the show category.

Great cruise!!!!!!

I agree that the opening show was really lame. The character of the dad was a doofus -- cringe worthy. If a teen was too cool for DCL I'm afraid the opening skit just re-enforced that opinion.

Do you remember what movies were playing on board? Thanks! Glad you had a great time

They debuted Lincoln at 12:01 am Friday morning, and they did have multiple screenings of Wreck It Ralph.

They were also showing Brave, Avengers (3d), Life of Tmothy Green, and FrankenWeenie.

I think there were a couple of others as well, but can't remember any more.

Did you book the ziplining excursion through DCL, or independently? We would love to take our 9yo DD (who has been ziplining near where we live), but she doesn't meet the minimum weight requirement. I don't want to try to get around a requirement if it's a real safety issue, but I think she'd have a blast!

No, we booked via DCL, and that might be the only way you can do it via this company. If there are other ziplining companies I don't know about them and can't comment.

The minimum weight is pretty important...smaller folks don't build up enough momentum to get to the other side.

we are scheduled to do the zipline excursion next week so I'm thrilled to see your positive review. We saw John Charles on our magic cruise in June and he was very funny. I hope he and the ventriloquist are on our cruise.

Some suggestions...

Bring a backpack with 2 bottles of water for each person doing the excursion. I cannot begin to tell you how hot and humid it is in the jungle there. I literally was soaked in sweat from head to toe halfway through. We bought 2 bottles of water and ran out halfway through.

Wear clothes you're ok with getting dirty.

Wear comfortable shoes with good grip...hiking boots or KEAN waterproof sandals (that's what I used, and the guides had them too). Also, the first part of the excursion is on kayaks, and your butt WILL get wet. One guy fell in the water on our trip.

Bring tips for the guides as well. I think they all share in the tips, as there are about 6 of them, I just gave one guy a $20, but others gave much less. I also gave the bus driver a few dollars.

Did you bring backpacks on this excursion? I want to bring my nice camera because would be a great picture opportunity but would not want it to get banged around or wet? Maybe bringing the smaller digital camera would be a better idea.

Any thoughts?

Was the trip from the boat to the excursion long? I hope it is not sold out for our cruise once I have an opportunity to book

Some suggestions...

Bring a backpack with 2 bottles of water for each person doing the excursion. I cannot begin to tell you how hot and humid it is in the jungle there. I literally was soaked in sweat from head to toe halfway through. We bought 2 bottles of water and ran out halfway through.

Wear clothes you're ok with getting dirty.

Wear comfortable shoes with good grip...hiking boots or KEAN waterproof sandals (that's what I used, and the guides had them too). Also, the first part of the excursion is on kayaks, and your butt WILL get wet. One guy fell in the water on our trip.

Bring tips for the guides as well. I think they all share in the tips, as there are about 6 of them, I just gave one guy a $20, but others gave much less. I also gave the bus driver a few dollars.

Thanks so much for the review! We have the Campo Rico ziplining booked thru DCL for our upcoming cruise. I'm nervous, but DH and DS are excited. Great tips about the water and footwear. So what were the hanging bridges like to cross?

Did you bring backpacks on this excursion? I want to bring my nice camera because would be a great picture opportunity but would not want it to get banged around or wet? Maybe bringing the smaller digital camera would be a better idea.

Any thoughts?

Was the trip from the boat to the excursion long? I hope it is not sold out for our cruise once I have an opportunity to book

I think the smaller digital camera would be a better option, but that's up to you. I did bring a backpack, and was happy I did. Held the water and our personal items instead of our pockets where they would have been soaked. Good to carry water as well.

It was about a 35 minute drive in the bus from the boat...not bad at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter