Just back from SOG

According to the Unofficial Guide these are the largest standard rooms on property. I know they are quite a bit bigger than POR because we stayed there a couple of years ago. I also thought they were a little larger than CR. You must stop everytime you go by the guard post but they usually ask to see your confirmation papers if your checking in. When you check in you are given a parking pass and they will want to that when enter. If they had questions I suppose they could ask to see some identification, but not necessarily a military ID.

I was there on a last minute, awesome solo trip July 2nd-6th! I agree, SOG rocks! I was in the old section, 2nd floor, which I really liked. It took me by the aafes store when going to and from my room. That corner of the hallway is also where guest services is, as well as the ticket place. There are also park maps/guides for WDW as well as local attractions. I was down in the last hallway, which also was just a two story stair's walk to the mickey pool and Evergreen's.

As for internet access... if you have a laptop and dialup service, earthlink etc, .. before your trip, make a note of local numbers and use the phone line. It's only $.75 a call that way. Might even be a good idea to set service up before leaving, if you wanted to save money over their daily offer.

I never used bus B, after hearing about very long rides with many stops, but did use bus A everyday. It was prompt and very easy to use to the TTC, then hopping on the monarail or ferry from there. My suggestion for anyone not real familiar with DW transportation, would be to ask ( I asked at epcot at the information center located near the pin station and fountain) for transportation information. It's like what the disney resorts give out when checking in... dining/transportation. It might be a bit helpful in giving some confidence in getting around. One of the options I noticed tho that it didn't give, was getting to MGM via the ferry at internation gateway in Epcot. Very nice ride. Air conditioned too, lol.

I felt so pampered at SOG... very quiet compared to the Value resorts I usually stay at. I did notice tho, that when using my small table fan for white noise, I heard basically no noise, as opposed to the Value resorts. Another thing I liked at SOG, housekeeping really acknowedged the "do not disturb" sign I stuck in the door every night before bed. I was on vacation, by MYSELF, and wanted to sleep in. And they let me! I've had too many times of being disturbed regardless of the sign, when staying at the Value... not nice, lol.

5 stars for SOG!!

Marcia

BTW, I never asked, and wonder, where is the "path" to the Poly? Is it out the front gate and on across the street?

I appreciate everyones trip reports of SOG, but the ones that have been lately could you tell me if all the renovations are done now? ( all the resturants open, is the landscaping done, is the aafes store all stocked up now, is the ticket office where it's supposed to be now?) Just the little things like that. lol

Hi Caseywirth,

Sorry I haven't been keeping up with the thread but by husband just came back from Iraq this week!!!!! Yes, the restaurants are all open. It looked to me as though they finished all the landscaping while we were there. The aafees shop was quite stocked but they were waiting for the wall shelving units to come in. The ticket office is in its permanent location. We loved the resort. Have a great time!

Thanks for all of the info. We will be at SOG at the end of the week and hope to have a great time as my husband will be leaving soon for training before going to Iraq. This is our first trip to DW and I hope it goes great.

I have three children who love to swim. Would it be better to request a room in the old section near the pools? I would like a nice room though if the new section rooms are a lot nicer than the old?

Thanks

Pixie1,
I am glad to here that your husband made it home safely. We were lucky my husband was only gone 4 months last year to Bulgaria. We are planing a trip to SOG the first week of Dec. He will be retiring from the AFR in Oct. and we will be celebrating B-Days and retirement at WDW. If anyone has been to SOG at christmas in the past, how do they celebrate the season?:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

My brother finally asked me a WDW question I didn't know! LOL

His FIL is going to pay for a trip for all of them (6 adults & 5 kids) to go to WDW together next October. My brother is concerned with the transportation at SOG, (his kids will be 6 & 3). What is the transportation like to the themeparks, waterparks, downtown disney? How does it work? Can you explain it for me, so I can restore my status as the "Disney Answer Queen with no real life to speak of" ?

TIA,

maine_jennifer - Unless things have changed, SOG has one bus that takes people to the Ticket and Transportation Center and from there you can go to the MK, EPCOT, Pleasure Island, Typhoon Lagoon, and DTD. It used to be a not-too-long walk to the Grand Floridan from SOG where you could catch the monorail to MK or EPCOT as well.

I believe there is a second bus available that takes you to MGM, AK, and Blizzard Beach.

Originally posted by NotTooGoofy
maine_jennifer - Unless things have changed, SOG has one bus that takes people to the Ticket and Transportation Center and from there you can go to the MK, EPCOT, Pleasure Island, Typhoon Lagoon, and DTD. It used to be a not-too-long walk to the Grand Floridan from SOG where you could catch the monorail to MK or EPCOT as well.

I believe there is a second bus available that takes you to MGM, AK, and Blizzard Beach.
There is a bus (bus A that runs every 15 minutes to the TTC there is bus B that takes you to MGM, AK, and BB. I have never had any problems with the bus system at SOG hopefully since the renovations that wont change!

Where is the hot tub? If there was one at the time of our previous trip we never found it.:confused:

Originally posted by Ashley
Where is the hot tub? If there was one at the time of our previous trip we never found it.:confused:

The hot tub was created about a year or so before the closure. It was located on the other side (the side furthest from the hotel) of the 'quiet' pool. At that time, it was only accessible with a room key and I can't imagine they've changed it. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter