Just Back From Poly

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by Peter Pirate, Sep 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter Pirate

Peter Pirate Its not the end of civilization...But you can see

Just back from a stay at the Polynesian Resort and I have to say that I am really disgusted with this place.

First of all was check in. We waited for 20 minutes in this dank, jungly smelling lobby, full of weird flowers and greenery...Yuck, only to be greeted by some greeter person giving us cheap shell leis that I guess were supposed to make us feel better about our exhaustive wait. Well, it didn't work and I told the check in girl just what I thought and do you know what she did? She kept smiling this idiotic, "It's a Small World" kind of smile while my face got redder and redder. After a few exchanges I asked to speak to a manager. The Manager was nice and gave us a complementary upgrade to Concierge...We deserved it, IMO!

Next was the transfer to the room...What a joke! They put you in this golf cart thingy and wheel around the resort like Mario Andretti! We darn near lost little Maggie on one turn...Luckily our leash was attached and we were able to pull her along until we could get the cart stopped! The Cast Member apologized profusly but had that same little Stepford Smile the girl at check in had...Weird.

Once at the room we noticed one of out Gucci bags was scratched severly in the transfer. I know Disney did it because it wasn't there when we left for the trip. I called the manager and told her. She listened and agreed to have a look at the bag and if it warranted would reimburse us. I think we deserved it.

Just after that we remembered that we forgot to tell the Manager of our harrowing golfcart experience. We called back and demanded a fruit basket. She said OK. I think we deserved it.

At this point we had a chance to inventory the room they had upgraded us to. Well, it was on Concierge level, but this room was a roach motel. No wonder they "comped" us. It was dark, in a campish sort of way, kind of like a beach resort or something. How tacky, if I wanted to go to Hawaii I would have! On the phone to the manager again and told her about the dark room, the AC was noisy and the sink had a drip. I asked if she'd subject her family to such poor treatment? Suprisingly she agreed and sent the bell staff over and moved us to a Suite! I think we deserved it.

After settleing in we went over and met the Concierge staff. Much to our displeasure these people acted like they didn't know who we were! Can you imagine my embarassment when I was addressed only as "Sir" and no mention of my name? Absurd treatment for VIP'S spending big bucks on Concierge! I immediately called the Manager and demanded that this particular CM be fired. The Manager said she'd be right over. True to her word she was and after sorting through the sordid story of 'he said, she said' the CM was dismissed. I felt vindicated and feel the other guests owe me a debt of gratitude for sending this uncouth urchin on her way. At the conclusion of this messy affair I suggested to the Manager that perhaps a comped meal was in order to sooth the sting of the unpleasantness and she imediately agreed. Comped dinner at 'Ohana.

We wen't to 'Ohana without reservations, knowing that Concierge guests of the hotel would certainly get priority. well, I was wrong again. By this time I'm wondering if Disney has any idea of what customer service is. Don't they know the guest is always right? Well, I told this foreign person working behind the desk that she'd better get me a table or trouble would ensue. Luckily the Manager happened by and took Lilo aside and told her who we were. We were seated immediately. Soon after the food came and while it was plentiful it was virtually all grilled. What's up with that. To add insult to injury this lame ukelele player/singer kept coming by singing these South Pacific songs that would curdle milk...Well, I'd had enough. We had to explain twice that this was a comped meal to the wait staff who just didn't get it...For their incompetence we taught them a little lesson by leaving the a .10 tip!

We checked out the next day and swear we'll never come back until Disney has a Four Seasons on site...

Just thought some of you might appreciate our little experience...

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. songbert

songbert Mouseketeer

but I'm sorry you had such a rough experience........

If i'm not mistaken, if you were "upgraded" to concierge that day, then how did you expect them to know who you were without any prior contact?

The Polynesian obviously didn't meet your standards.......

IMHO, Disney can only do so much, and you have to start with a happy frame of mind to be happy on vacation. I've never gone there expecting to "deserve" anything but a good time with my loving family, and haven't been disappointed yet.

Better luck with your Gucci luggage at the Four Seasons!

4. HappyMommy2

HappyMommy2 <font color=green>He loves that Disney quasi-"futu

Peter Pirate, you had me going there for a minute.
    Thanks for the report; I'm sure people who work in customer service (as I did years ago) have encountered people no less demanding and downright selfish as you were ;) far too often.

5. Tinkbell

Tinkbell <font color=purple>We called it, "Attack of the Sp

6. >>^..^<<

>>^..^<< Flat Cat

Poor little Maggie, almost lost on the last turn... I really think you have grounds for a lawsuit.

>>^..^<<

7. AspiringCindy

AspiringCindy <font color=FF66FF>Craved Spam.....the unidentifie

WHAT?!? They didn't give you a free day at the spa too?

8. Lisa3

Lisa3 DIS Veteran

Someone please tell me this is a joke! I would have thrown you out not give you an upgrade (guess that's why I don't work in customer service).

Gucci Luggage - give me a break. I will have to be careful with my LL Bean Duffle Bags next month!;)

9. lizmc

lizmc Mouseketeer

Tell me peter pirate , are you a younger pirate?
    Perhaps an english major?
    Interesting tale of sorrow, I enjoyed the detail , little Maggies leash, the brand of luggage , very creative , next time try to be a little bit less insulting to staff , as it became to repetitive.
    I am sure you can be less redundunt and more creative on your next piece!!
    Aloha....me hardy

10. Sammie

Sammie DIS Veteran

Actually he is the joke, :) and not his trip. Sorry Peter could not resist.

For those that have not read Peter's reports before, he excels in sarcasm. Very good at it in fact. The only problem not everyone that reads the boards knows that and at times some things make it back to the mentioned resort with less than desirable consequences.

Maybe a disclaimer would be appropriate.

11. Peter Pirate

Thanks for remembering Sammie, it's been quite awhile since my last trip.;)

lizmc, young pirate? Not me. An old father with an overactive imagination, warped sense of humor and obviously too much time on his hands!

I realize this wasn't one of the better ones but no one has mentioned my single favorite line yet (Little Maggie was #2)...

DISCLAIMER: Nahhhh...

12. >>^..^<<

>>^..^<< Flat Cat

That has got to be the reference to Lilo being a foreigner?

>>^..^<<

13. CamColt

CamColt <font color=magenta>Only thinks she’s not losing i

Thats it! Im cancelling my Poly reservation. I do not want to be subjected to such horrible treatment on Christmas and my birthday.
    Thanks for the warning. ;)

14. Planogirl

Planogirl I feel the nerd in me stirring

You are a trip Mr Pirate. Nicely done. :teeth:

15. Peter Pirate

Lilo is it! You win the kewpie doll! It's not as good as when grandma had to sleep on the couch in the WL lobby, but still ok...

Thanks PG...I think.;)

16. Emmaline Lola

Emmaline Lola Mouseketeer

I had to re-read the first couple of sentences, because I couldn't believe it!

After working at the Swan and Dolphin for 6 years, I have SEEN and DEALT WITH guests with this attitude. The thing that shocked me the most was that he was actually sharing what a meanie-meanie guest he was with everyone here!

We only had one solution for guests like this:

"DUMPSTER DOUBLES"!!

Yep, a beautiful room with 2 double beds overlooking the dumpsters and loading dock for those "special early" wake-up calls!

Funny post!

17. CaipiraBob

CaipiraBob "Perfectly content to be an absolute caveman"

I thought Polynesian staff were subject to ritual suicide for such abject failure in the area of customer service! I mean, what's the Volcano at the big pool good for then anyways?

If they aren't, I suppose we owe our last waiter at Ohana a big apology. At least his next-of-kin. *sigh*

18. CaliforniaDreaming

CaliforniaDreaming #1 Grand Floridian Fan/Expert

Peter, at first you had me going, then I saw your user name! ;) Thanks for another great laugh. :teeth:

19. Jeanny

Jeanny <font color=blue>I can feel the warmth now!<br><fo

Geez, I only had to wait 5 minutes to check in. I too, should have been upgraded, and I didn't receive no stinking shell lei's, I should have been upgraded just for that alone!!!

20. momof3disneyholics

momof3disneyholics <font color=royalblue>Maternal Unit Extraordinaire

Man, if they scratched your Gucci bag I wonder what they are going to do to my Walmart bags?! :confused: ;)

21. skiwee1

skiwee1 DIS Veteran

ROFLMAO! Thanks Pete for another good post! I always enjoy your perfect summation of others complaints! LOL!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.