Just Back from Poly LVG and BWV...any ??

copper68 - Thanks so much for the thorough review of Poly concierge. We have stayed there before and have always been pleased. I have read some reports over the past few months that the food wasn't as great as it once was, or as plentiful, and CMs not very pleasant (Have also read post like yours, though, that it is great). So, I was just looking for a little reassurance there! :flower:

We always request 3rd floor because we like being a little higher up. Half the floor is smoking, half not, but I've never been bothered by a smoke smell. (And I can usually pick it up really quickly!)

Thanks again! Can't wait for our trip in 55 days! Just keeping our fingers crossed that the rehab will be all done in Hawaii by then!

Thanks Copper68! I am not sure why, but Disney is telling me that there are no plans to install high speed internet service in the Polynesian, but you tell me there is service (at least in Hawaii). Not sure which building we will be in because my wife has Multiple Sclerosis and we ned a handicap accessible room. Also, not sure why Disney would not want to let people know...oh well, I am just going to hope that it is there when I get there! Thanks again for the information! I really appreciate it!

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Ok, I am officially EXCITED! WOOHOO!

Thanks for the pics! I didn't realize there is a balcony there! What does it overlook...the actual Boardwalk? Since we will not be "balcony sitters" in our room (due to our standard view) maybe we can be balcony sitters there!

wildernesslodgelover

Here's another link:

http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/bwalk.jpg

On the map, G represents the Lounge...So you can kind of see the view from there...The balcony runs from like where the G is and up to the building...it's a pretty large balcony...

If you sit and face forward, you will be looking directly across the little courtyard towards the BWV's....You can see the BW itself and a bit of crescent lake, but you kind of have to stand and look at an angle...still very pretty views though...I enjoy just sitting there with a cold beer and people watching...lol...you can just look down and watch people walking to and fro...

If you want to sit out on the Boardwalk, you can always order the drink in a to-go cup and stroll along the balcony, or take a seat on one of the many benches and watch the boats go by...ahhhh...so relaxing...

There is another bar on the Villas side...it's right above Jellyrools and has glass windows looking out over Crescent Lake and the Boardwalk...I have never been inside, but it looks beautiful...I don't even know when it is open, but I would assume in the evenings...When we were there in March I was just taking a stroll around the Hotel and came across it...I think it's on the second floor (maybe 3rd) all the way at the end of the long hallway that leads away from the lobby and towards jellyrolls...I was able to see inside the doors and it's a beautiful looking bar with great views...

I am mad at myself now for not thinking to check it out again when we just went last week...oh well...

Thanks so much to all of you--this is so helpful for me! My DH and I are considering renting dvc points for a confirmed ressie at BWV (preferred view studio) for the week of Jan 1-6 (our only child, dd, will turn 9 on Jan 2), and I've been a little anxious about the whole thing. All of your comments are putting my fears to rest, and I think we'll go for it! Any advice on the room location? I think I'd like first floor, especially since I've heard the elevator location can be problematic. Any thoughts?

Thanks again so much!! :sunny:

Keara'sMom

As I wrote in an earlier post, we really love the first floor rooms...When we go back and stay in a 1 bedroom villa, I am going to request room 1032 (where we just stayed), or rooms 1036, or 1040...They are all on the first floor and face the main pool...

From these rooms, you will be in the center of everything...when you walk down the hall from your room (100 feet maybe), and walk outside, to your right will be the main pool and pool bar...straight ahead will be doors that lead into the main building and the elevators...to the left is a little walkway that leads out to the main courtyard...it's a 2 minute walk from those rooms to the stores and restaurants on the BW...from there it's a short walk to Epcot...if you walk past the main pool, you get onto the walkway to MGM and will be there in 10-15 min...

These are just our personal preferences...I was also tempted to request a BW view room on this past trip...I would love to be able to sit on the balcony overlooking the BW and watch people go by...but no matter where you stay, I am sure you're going to love it!!!

maestroralph

I emailed the Poly Concierge desk and they let me know that every room in the resort now has high speed internet, not just Hawaii...hope this helps!!!

Thanks again for your input!! The room locations sound great--but now my DH says he doesn't want to be on the first floor. :confused3 I'm thinking of requesting BW view now, if I can. Also, my DH is concerned about the villas being "away from the action," and we like to be in the middle of things. Is this the case with BWV? What room locations (preferred studio) should I avoid?

My only hesitation with renting these points is the fact that we will be making a big deposit (paying for the whole thing, that is) with no chance of canceling should something come up. Have you ever had difficulty with this?

Take care!

Keara's Mom-

If I could just jump in here... I was always nervous about renting points, too. This upcoming trip in Oct will only be the second time. The first time, I rented from a friend. THIS TIME...I am renting from someone off the "rent/trade" board here on the DIS. He had 5 nights reserved at the BWV in Oct...which is hard to get because many people want to stay at Epcot resorts during Food and Wine Fest.

I gave him half right when I accepted, and I paid in full 60 days prior to my trip. He told me if I need to cancel forw hatever reason, he will let me use those points anytime before Aug 2006. So...if for whatever reason I have to cancel, I will have 45 points to do with what I wish. He also said he would try to "re-rent" the points, which is nice of him to offer that.

Anyway, unless there is a huge catastrophe in my life, there is NO CHANCE I am cancelling!

Wildernesslodgelover,
Thanks for jumping in! I'll be sure to talk with the guy from whom we're considering renting points (off the rent/trade board, too) about his cancellation policy--yours sounds like a completely reasonable one to me, and it would help me to know that there's an "out" should something unforeseen some up. Hope you have a great trip! :)

I have rented twice and am renting again for 07 and I have put a small deposit down to hold the points (10%). I have done it (rented points) a few different ways but never have I had to pay everything upfront with no cancellation. I have always paid $10 per point as well. Usually it is a 30-50% downpayment with the rest 60 -90 days out. Cancellation can happen up to 90 days out then after that we try to rerent the points...something like that....Hope you can figure out your renting plans... :flower:

Do you recall what offerings were at the Poly concierge lounge? I'm curious if it is worth the extra money. :dog2:

I am just reading over my contract now for the rental...this was the first time we rented points also...it says:

"All cancellation requests must be made in writing. In the event of a written cancellation request by the tenants up to and thru July 11 (our stay at BWV was 8/21-8/24), tenants will be eligible for a 50 percent refund of their deposit, not to exceed $----. After July 11th and up to July 21st tenants will be eligible for a 50 percent refund of the entire amount paid to date, not to exceed $----. Any refunds due the tenant will be mailed within 15 days of cancellation. In the event tenants request a cancellation on or after July 21st, the DVC member will retain the full amount received to date, up to the full payment amount of -----, as the points may not be recoverable for use by the DVC member. All rights to the points that are recoverable will revert back to the DVC member, and the DVC member may use the recoverable points in any manner available to them. Tenants may request in writing and DVC member may consider rescheduling the reservation after July 21, however the DVC member is under no obligation to reschedule the reservation and the tenants should be aware that this might not be possible because of limited room, availability and/or loss of use of the DVC points due to DVC member points usage provisions."

When I spoke with the DVC member I was renting from, we agreed that if there was any cancellation for an emergency or anything, that he would reschedule the time for a future date. However, as I am reading over this cancellation policy, I don't really like the way that it sounds....lol...I am thinking that in the future I will want it to read something more the lines of:

"If there is an emergent need for cancellation by the tenant, the DVC member shall make every effort to reschedule the reservation at a later time..."...I would even agree to cover any expenses incurred, and if they cannot reschedule for whatever reason, I can accept that.

I think I left myself kind of open there, because it basically left the ball in his court if I had to cancel for whatever reason. Yes, he may have helped me out and rescheduled, but according to the contract he was under no obligation to do so.

Just make sure that you have all of this in writing, including the cancellation policy.

tlynk

Between 8a-10a each morning there would be a large bowl of fresh cut fruit, another bowl with bagels, and another with pastries. There is a coffee station, as well as different juices and milk. There are also different types of
cold cereal.

In the afternoon they have out different types of cookies (choc chip, oatmeal raisin etc) as well as juices and sodas.

5p-7p they have something different each night. Some of the offerings we had: Wed night- chicken wings and asian noodles, Fri- mini eggrolls with fried rice, Saturday- bbq pork sandwhiches and potato salad. There is enough food that you can make it a meal out of it. We would usually eat a plate or two early, and then go out for the evening, and eat a late dinner or snack.

8p-10p they have different kinds of deserts and also cordials (Bailey's, Kahlua etc)...this was one of our fav parts of the trip.

I definitely think the price is worth it. I think it's about an extra 100 bucks a night to stay concierge. Breakfast alone for 5 of us would've been 30 bucks every day at least. Add in the cost of snacks and drinks. Then the dinner and desert offerings. Also, you can get beer anytime throughout the day. Sometimes we would sit in the lounge in the afternoon and play games and have a few beers.

But more than just the financial aspect, the convenience of having that all there throughout the day makes it worth it...and the kids love it also...

We wouldn't stay at the Poly if we didn't stay concierge.

copper68 said:
tlynk

But more than just the financial aspect, the convenience of having that all there throughout the day makes it worth it...and the kids love it also...

We wouldn't stay at the Poly if we didn't stay concierge.

Thank you for your reply! :sunny: I've been looking into different resorts for awhile now, and it looks like this would be the way to go for us. For a family of five we could splurge on one big meal a day and snack the rest. I'm glad you had a nice time. Thanks again! :)

copper68 said:
maestroralph

I emailed the Poly Concierge desk and they let me know that every room in the resort now has high speed internet, not just Hawaii...hope this helps!!!
Copper68

Thank you so much for the information about the Polynesian and the high speed internet! Now I am really starting to get excited about our trip at the end of October! Thanks again and thank you for the great report and info!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter