Just Back from Ireland have helpful hints

amsae

Earning My Ears
We just returned from out 6th ABD from Ireland.

Some helpful hints:

1. First day in Ireland get the VAT tax refund card to use on all purchases so you get a refund back on you Credit Card, but need to register it on line at the Castle before you leave for airport, then at airport, go to counter with receipts to finish up. Make sure you have enough time to do so.

2. On your first free night in Dublin, we went to the Irish Dance show at the Arlington Hotel, about 5 minutes away from the Westin, and it was well worth the money. Great food and show.

3. Also suggest you try to barter with the prices at the Castle for optional activies, team up with group for a better price.

4. Be sure to bring a bar of soap with you, very small bars at the hotels.

5. We came in the day before the trip started, so we did the Wicklow Tours to Glendalugh and it was great. We where back in time for the welcome dinner. The picked up at the Hotel door step.

6. Do go in the Day before, several in our group where delayed coming in out of JFK.

7. Due bring rain clothes, just in case, but we had clear weather most days.

8. At the cliffs of Mohr, do not see the video inside the vistors center, not worth the time, but walk outside for the views

If you have any questions, just let me know.

Oh, also, our guides, Frankie and Paul where fun. Paul, being from Dublin, has a quick wit and good stories, while Frankie kept us in line!

Just to add to the helpful hints above..

Get Ice Cream at Murphy's in Dublin and Killarney.

Feehan's Pub in Cashel - Amazing food - Cash only, take a left from where the bus parks.

If you see something you want buy it there, you might not see it again.

Denise

We leave in August for our trip, we are arriving a day early and are staying in the castle one extra day. Thanks for the tips, we will review and try to make the most of our time there. It is our first full ABD(just did package with Alaska cruise). We are extremely excited about Ireland.

Going with DW and 14yr old granddaughter.

Jim

Jim,
This was our first ABD also and it was everything we thought it would be and more. You will love the Castle, while we were there we did several of the activities....horseback riding, skeet shooting, and the best per my DD18 was the Owl's. We also took some time just to walk around and take it all in.

This was also our first organized tour so we really didn't know how we would like it. After this trip - we will be doing another ABD trip in the future, now the challenge of which one.

Denise

I went on this trip in the end of May and it was amazing, I think everyone will love it. I do have to disagree on a few points the OP made

You don't have to bring bar soap, the bar is small but is meant only for the sink area there is shower gel at each hotel.

The movie at the CLiffs of Moher was nice and seeing really depends on the weather, the day we were there the weather was awful, cold and rainy with a lot of fog and the views were not that great but the movie gave us a chance to get a feel for the Cliffs.

As for the VAT some stores will take the tax off at the register and just record it on the card some won't so be sure to ask.

I also arrived 2 days early, but at this point I don't think anyone can change their airfare if they didn't have plans to arrive early already. I did the hop on hop off bus, you get two days for the price of one ticket. There are a few companies that have these buses and they stop at 23 or 24 different locations. You don't need to buy tickets ahead of time you can just pay the driver, for dublin tours if you buy your ticket on line you get a discount, I think it is 16 euros if you pay the driver and it was 12 euros and 80 cents online and kids under 14 are free with a fare paying adult.

One last bit of advice, we had really bad weather and when it rains, which it did everyday of my trip it gets chilly, bring one very warm, sweatshirt or sweater, the day we went to the Rock fo Cashel we had 70 mile an hour winds! 60 degrees in Ireland is not 60 degrees in NY it feels much colder there.

To anyone who is going have a great time, it was truly an amazing trip, We had some of the worst weather and rain and even with that I can still say it was a truly amazing vacation.

We just returned from out 6th ABD from Ireland.

Some helpful hints:

1. First day in Ireland get the VAT tax refund card to use on all purchases so you get a refund back on you Credit Card, but need to register it on line at the Castle before you leave for airport, then at airport, go to counter with receipts to finish up. Make sure you have enough time to do so.

2. On your first free night in Dublin, we went to the Irish Dance show at the Arlington Hotel, about 5 minutes away from the Westin, and it was well worth the money. Great food and show.

3. Also suggest you try to barter with the prices at the Castle for optional activies, team up with group for a better price.

4. Be sure to bring a bar of soap with you, very small bars at the hotels.

5. We came in the day before the trip started, so we did the Wicklow Tours to Glendalugh and it was great. We where back in time for the welcome dinner. The picked up at the Hotel door step.

6. Do go in the Day before, several in our group where delayed coming in out of JFK.

7. Due bring rain clothes, just in case, but we had clear weather most days.

8. At the cliffs of Mohr, do not see the video inside the vistors center, not worth the time, but walk outside for the views

If you have any questions, just let me know.

Oh, also, our guides, Frankie and Paul where fun. Paul, being from Dublin, has a quick wit and good stories, while Frankie kept us in line!

Glad u had fun:goodvibes. To add to the list, it wud b that it also helps to be bilingual as I encountered many a different language while over in the Emerald Aisle a few weeks ago (I was sooo appreciative that I know basic French & German).

Cheers

Jim,
This was our first ABD also and it was everything we thought it would be and more. You will love the Castle, while we were there we did several of the activities....horseback riding, skeet shooting, and the best per my DD18 was the Owl's. We also took some time just to walk around and take it all in.

This was also our first organized tour so we really didn't know how we would like it. After this trip - we will be doing another ABD trip in the future, now the challenge of which one.

Denise

Thanks Denise

I will spend some time this next week making plans, do you need to plan things at castle or can you just do when you are there?

We were just on alaska cruise with ABD and we had alot of flolks that did ABD to different detinations, one family had been on 5 or 6 and they said that South Africa was their favorite FYI.

Jim

Thanks Denise

I will spend some time this next week making plans, do you need to plan things at castle or can you just do when you are there?

We were just on alaska cruise with ABD and we had alot of flolks that did ABD to different detinations, one family had been on 5 or 6 and they said that South Africa was their favorite FYI.

Jim

We just scheduled things once we were there, we had no trouble doing it that way.

We have been thinking about South Africia, it would be something totally different.

Have a great time in Ireland..

Denise

Hi Everyone,

Just a couple of things...

The soap thing is funny...I also noticed they didn't leave alot of soap...I like the gel, but my husband hates it. So if you like bar soap and you are going to use alot of it bring your own.

We did not run into anyone that did not spreak English, so not sure about that one.

I also agree about the sweater, rain coat suggestion. We had very nice weather, and at the Clifts of Mohr I had on a short sleeve shirt...but everywhere I went in London the week before and in Ireland I carried my sweater jacket, and a rain coat (and somehow DD and DH's also :) ). When you get up in the morning you never know what its going to be like. On the days that you are going to be on the bus I usually just packed a small bag with everyones rain coat and sweater or sweat shirt. If we didn't need them we just left it on the bus. One day the sun was out and it was beautiful but also raining. For us the rain never lasted very long, so I did alot of taking my jacket off and on.

In Dublin, we did not arrive a day early since we were coming from London. Once we checked in (rm wasn't ready right away) we walked to St John's Gohertys and had lunch which was very good and then took a taxi to the Kilmainham Goal Historical Museum- if you like history this was interesting.

Denise

Hi Everyone,

Just a couple of things...

The soap thing is funny...I also noticed they didn't leave alot of soap...I like the gel, but my husband hates it. So if you like bar soap and you are going to use alot of it bring your own.

We did not run into anyone that did not spreak English, so not sure about that one.

I also agree about the sweater, rain coat suggestion. We had very nice weather, and at the Clifts of Mohr I had on a short sleeve shirt...but everywhere I went in London the week before and in Ireland I carried my sweater jacket, and a rain coat (and somehow DD and DH's also :) ). When you get up in the morning you never know what its going to be like. On the days that you are going to be on the bus I usually just packed a small bag with everyones rain coat and sweater or sweat shirt. If we didn't need them we just left it on the bus. One day the sun was out and it was beautiful but also raining. For us the rain never lasted very long, so I did alot of taking my jacket off and on.

In Dublin, we did not arrive a day early since we were coming from London. Once we checked in (rm wasn't ready right away) we walked to St John's Gohertys and had lunch which was very good and then took a taxi to the Kilmainham Goal Historical Museum- if you like history this was interesting.

Denise

I ran into people who spoke only German three times while in Dublin and twice only French while at Shannon airport. I felt very intimated at first but felt very appreciative of what different languages I knew and used them to everyones happiness:goodvibes.

now about that soap thing.........

I am staying outta that one;).

ANYWHO -

Glad to see tho u had fun:goodvibes
any pics u wanna post??:)

Cheers

Denise,

We had a great time with your family in Ireland! I suppose we forgot to tell eveyone that the little Pub in the Castle was a lot of fun!

The last night a group of about 12 older men all dressed up sang three songs for us.

Now that was Disney Magic again!

Sam,
We also had a great time with everyone....we were just talking about how much fun it was in the evenings with everyone hanging our in the bar talking and laughing after a great day!

We are waiting not so patiently for next years schedule...

Denise

Can you tell me how to post pics?
Denise

good ?. And yes, others.....please feel free to chime in and offer to help cuz I feel I wont be much help in expplaining but i will try.

First, I download my pics & video onto my computer at home. Edit them and then -

I go thru an .com called Photobucket.com and there I load up my applicable pics & videos. Then I copy each one that I want onto my blog and viola!!

To me , the pics and video add punch to what I do, which is basically electronic scrapbooking, so that i can look back on it yrs from now and have a great big ol smile in remembering on what I did during that time:goodvibes.

ANYWHO -

12 older men dressing up and singing?? Now that's a video worth postingpopcorn::

T.T.F.N.

This is a great thread - thanks for all the info so far!

I have one question. I plan on taking my son on this trip in 2013 but it's never too early to plan! He will be 6 and all he wants to do is FISH !!!

Are there any opportunities on this trip for a fishing excursion? Even if it's just with a simple rod and reel off the dock? Like maybe at the castle? Or if not, where do you suggest we stay after the trip to maybe get in a day of Irish fishing? Thanks in advance! :cool1:

This is a great thread - thanks for all the info so far!

I have one question. I plan on taking my son on this trip in 2013 but it's never too early to plan! He will be 6 and all he wants to do is FISH !!!

Are there any opportunities on this trip for a fishing excursion? Even if it's just with a simple rod and reel off the dock? Like maybe at the castle? Or if not, where do you suggest we stay after the trip to maybe get in a day of Irish fishing? Thanks in advance! :cool1:

Yes at Dromoland Castle you can get a fishing pole and a a row boat to go on the lake, you can probably also fish from the dock but you can go fishing if you wish

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter