Just back from HHI!!

kamgen

DIS Veteran
Well, back to reality! Dh and I got home yesterday after a wonderful trip to HHI.
This was our first trip to the HHI resort and let me just say that I fell in love with it. We had a one bedroom (room 1224) and enjoyed the space and beautiful decor.
It was dh and I. Dh parents and sister and dh were staying down the road at another timeshare property. We spent a lot of time dining and sightseeing with them.

We arrived around 12:30pm and were greeted by Melissa at the front desk. It had been raining all morning and we were exhausted from the 14 hour drive. We were able to get our room right away and took a two hour nap. Whew! :)
We explored the resort and met the family for dinner at Crazy Crab. Food was good and the view of the creek was beautiful.
OVerview of the week:
Went to Savannah. Great town, must eat at Churchill's Pub! :)
HHI dining: San Miguels - good food, lots of cheese on everything.
Casey's Sports Bar - great wings and specials on drinks.
Wild Wing Cafe - BEST wings! :)
Big Bamboo Cafe - great food and service. Great themed place.
Frosty Frog- great frozen drinks! :)
Cafe Europa- nice place for breakfast (rum toast was yummy!) and the view of the harbor is spectacular!

Went to Harbor Town and loved it. Also shopped at the outlet stores and got great deals. We spent time at the Beach house and at the main pool. Loved the waterslide. :) We went to one campfire and enjoyed it alot, especially the smores! It was a great disney touch! Thanks to Bob & Brian!! We spent a few nights hanging out in Big Murrgie's Den playing pool. IT was nice to have that available.
We were able to tour the preview center before it closed (it is now closed for good!) and we saw a grand villa. LOVED IT! The GV is the most beautiful we have seen. :)

The weather was cool the first few days, in the 50's. The last few days was in the 70's and we got some sun! Spent one afternoon just laying in a hammock talking.

On the last night there, we all went sailing on the Flying Circus catamaran. The winds were brisk, but the sail was awesome. We would definitely do it again. IT was two hours on fun and we brought snacks and drinks.

We went to Charleston on the way home and spent the day touring the city and some landmarks. We will definitely be returning. Charleston is a great city and I did not want to leave. We at lunch at Sticky Fingers and enjoyed the BBQ!

Well, sorry this is so rambled, but I am still trying to adjust to being home! :)
If you have any questions, please let me know!

Kamy

Thanks so much for the report! DH and I are already looking forward to our first trip to HH next March. Did you go on the tour of the Audobon nature place? I read somewhere of a resturaunt in HH that has Jazz. Did you happen to see one? Since it was just you and DH, do you feel the one bedroom was the right size, or would a studio be OK?

Simba's Mom-
The one bedroom was great, but a studio would be fine too. We just love the tub and the kitchen! :) We cooked most breakfasts in our room.

There is a place called The Jazz Corner and also the Kingfisher had jazz at night. We did not go to either one. Seems like a week is not long enough to do all the things you want to! :)

You are gonna love it!

Kamy

Kamy, glad to hear you had such a wonderful trip! I love Hilton Head so much and can't wait to return in November. It sounds like you ate at some good places. We'll have to check them out on our next visit. Don't you just love the space of the one bedroom unit? We stayed in a two bedroom and I feel like I may be spoiled after staying in such spacious accommodations.

Did you book the Flying Circus catamaran through Disney? I've never heard of it. Also, did you request a look see at the GV or was it part of tour at the preview center? I'm sorry to hear they have closed the preview center (even though I knew it was coming). We were able to take a look around it when we purchased in December and it was really nice.

Thanks for sharing the highlights of your trip!

Lisa

Kamy, glad you had such a good time.It's so great to see people talking about Hilton Head. We loved it so much we became DVC members after our trip in February.

We agree that Bob & Brian were great! So was the 2 bedroom unit we fell in love with (room 1921). We will be returning next March also, but will get a one bedroom. Can't wait!

Try Hudsons for seafood - very rustic but right on the water. Aunt Chiladas had terrific Mexican, and Nicks Steak and Seafood also was great. The best breakfast - Skillets at Coligny Plaza. The seafood crepes were out of this world!

Has anyone ever gone down for Thanksgiving? Would love to hear about it.

Kathy

Hi Kathy! Hilton Head is our home resort too and you are right it's nice to hear about the great times people have at HH. DH and I purchased on our trip this past December and stayed in a 2 bedroom villa in building 31 and absolutely fell in love with the resort, the island and the villa. We have a trip planned for Thanksgiving week this year and my sister and her family will be staying in a studio (hopefully near us).

I've never been at T-day time and we are really looking forward to it. I plan on doing a meal with Chef Gordon as DH and I will be celebrating our 9th wedding anniversary. We also plan on doing a dolphin cruise plus checking out some of the great restaurants in the area you guys have mentioned.

DH and I are considering an add-on before the price increase in June and I am torn between adding on a bit more at HH before its sold out or doing a small add-on at BCV. I'd like to have the 11 month window at BCV but with a small add on even with banking and borrowing we would probably still need to wait until the 7 month window to use some of HH points. If we do the add on at HH then we will have to wait until the 7 month window again but at least all of our points will be available. Any other HH owners considering adding on at home or on-site (BCV or WLV)? I'd appreciate your opinions!

Lisa

We booked the Flying Circus Catamaran on our own. You can book it by calling the Palmetto Bay Marina. It was great. It sat 6 people and we spent time touring the area and enjoying the weather! :)

I am trying to convince dh that we need to do a small add on at HHI before it sells out, but we just added on at VWL last year.

We requested to see a Grand Villa. We wanted to check it out and I am glad we did. Would love to stay there someday!

Kamy

ZerasPride,

We just added on to our ownership at HH. I took advantage of the 13.00 MB just before BCV went on sale.

We were thinking of doing a BCV add on but decided we can always get into WDW at one of the resorts, and wanted to have all our points at HH for the 11 month window.

We plan on HH every other year and WDW/Vero on the odd years.

Fenceman that is exactly what we were thinking. Add on at our home resort to have the 11 month window for all our points. We are also planning on HH most years with alternating on-site/Vero trips. We are pretty flexible with where and when we stay on-site so I think it does make sense for us to add-on where we plan to stay most. I appreciate your comments on this issue!

Lisa

HH sounds wonderful, but it sounds like maybe it is more geared to adults. Would you recommend taking ds (5) and ds (7), especially during the spring or summer? Then I know they could swim. We've never been to HHI before and would love to make it a family trip. DVC makes that possible!!! Already love DVC just because of all the prospects!

LDPKELLY

We take our 9, 5, 3 year olds every trip and they can't wait to go back. There are lots of activities and crafts for kids of all ages. Last year during our stay they had a lot of teens at the resort so the CM's put together a teen pizza party in Big Murgy's Den.

Many of the activities are both fun and educational.

They should not get board.

After reading your post, I'm looking even more forward to going to HHI in Sept. I made ressies for a one bedroom and requested it near the pool. Where was your room? Would you recommend it? Glad to hear you had a great time.

Hi LDPKELLY, HHI is definately for kids! It was the activities for our 4 year old that really sold us on the DVC. They had un-birthday parties (eat cupcakes on the floor like a dog...), Goofy bingo, campfire sing- a- longs and s'mores, t shirt painting etc. The attention they gave my son was amazing. He had a great time and so did we!

We met so many nice families with kids of all ages - even went out for ice cream one night with a couple and their 2 kids. I just can't say enough good about our trip. It is a much slower pace than WDW, but really enjoyable.

Kathy

Hi LDPKELLY, HHI is definately for kids! It was the activities for our 4 year old that really sold us on the DVC. They had un-birthday parties (eat cupcakes on the floor like a dog...), Goofy bingo, campfire sing- a- longs and s'mores, t shirt painting etc. The attention they gave my son was amazing. He had a great time and so did we!

We met so many nice families with kids of all ages - even went out for ice cream one night with a couple and their 2 kids. I just can't say enough good about our trip. It is a much slower pace than WDW, but really enjoyable.

Kathy

Our room was in the bulding right next to the Lodge (Check in).
It was nice because we could use the elevator and we had a great view of the marsh.

Hello: We are considering doing a one night stay at hilton head, not sure to pick a studio or one bedroom, what is the set up for beds. There will be hubby and I and two teens.

I can't seem to find a website that shows the floor plans of the hilton head resorts.

Oh one more question is the resort on the ocean? Thanks

Deb.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!