Just Back From Heaven: Aulani Trip Report

married@wdw

DIS Veteran
Just returned home from Aulani today, just my husband and I. Heavenly. We'll be back for sure!

The resort: Amazing. We loved the Starlit Hui. Snorkeling both at Rainbow Reef and along the reef in the lagoon was fascinating. We took our own equipment -- no fins, just mask and snorkel (got great sets from Amazon for about $17) and we'll definitely snorkel again. We got pool noodles for $3 at Target and they were great in the lagoon. We rented a Casabella on the beach one day -- really nice way to have a homebase, but I wish they were available until 6 p.m. instead of 5 p.m. We ended up carting our stuff around for the last hour as we took a final spin in the lazy river. The two-level infinity-edge adult hot tub was amazing -- you MUST watch a sunset with the drink one day from there. Magical. The Meneheune game was fun.

My only other negative comment about the resort would be that we really wish the lazy river and hot tubs were open later -- 6 and 8 p.m. was just too early. We would love to have had a drink in the hot tub around 9 or 10 p.m., before going to bed. And the lazy river would be absolutely amazing at night with the little twinkly water lights, etc.

Meals: We ate dinner a few nights at Olelo and Off The Hook - we love sharing a few small plates so both were great. Only had breakfast at Ama Ama, but it was fantastic. Had lunch at the beach one day -- the coconut shrimp were especially delicious with garlic aoli for dipping. Didn't try the buffet. We stopped at Target for water, snacks and breakfast stuff and did breakfasts in the room most days. A fun tip -- the saucers in the room are the perfect size for cooking an egg in the microwave. I made ham, egg and cheese on Hawaiian bread several days and it was delicious! Otherwise, we did a bunch of places around the island: Giovanni's Shrimp Truck, Liliha Bakery, Duke's in Waikiki, Cinnamon's for breakfast (and Manoa Chocolate above it was a really fun stop!), Ted's for delicious chocolate haupia cream pie, Teddy's Bigger Burger (reminded us of Five Guys, but with more options), Ola at Turtle Bay Resort, a great little Mexican place called Luibueno's in Haleiwa.

Outside the resort: We loved Pearl Harbor, but almost as fascinating was Punchbowl Cemetery. Stunning and beautiful and the stories of the battles were so moving. We hiked (very short walk) to the ruins of King Kamehameha's summer palace, which was like our own mini Indiana Jones adventure. We walked from Oahu to Goat Island -- a tough walk through the ocean and you will need GOOD water shoes, but so worth it -- beautiful and peaceful! We did a little snorkeling at Shark's Cove and tried to see turtles at Laniakea Beach but there weren't any out. We also did a up the H3 -- amazing ride -- and around the windward side of Oahu. The view from Pali Outlook is worth a quick stop -- we saw a rainbow -- and the Halona Blow Hole was very cool. The movie tour at Kualoa Ranch was fun, too. Two things we ran out of time to do because some rain changed our plans: hiking Diamondhead and snorkeling at Hanauma Bay. But like I said -- we'll be back to do those.

We did all of this with a rental car. Cost less than $200 for an 8-day rental and we explored so much -- really worth it if you're staying on points because parking is free.

WOW-some great tips with your report-I didnt know about the King Kamehameha ruins and I have put them on my list of next trip things to do so many thanks! Did you feel unsafe in that area, was it isolated?

Do you own points at Aulani? And if not, was it difficult to book the week you wanted at the seven-month mark?
Thanks!

Do you own points at Aulani? And if not, was it difficult to book the week you wanted at the seven-month mark?
Thanks!
I booked 7 months out for a studio for this June. I did it on the exact day I was eligible. Seemed like it was so long ago and happening now in just about 1 month. Can't wait.

Thanks for your report married @WDW

Fabulous TR, Married@wdw! And I absolutely concur, Aulani no ka oi! It's the best!! We've stayed twice, I've been there 3 times, and will be returning for just a couple of nights before the Hawaii to Vancouver DCL sailing! Cannot WAIT!! You really packed in a lot of great activities. How long were you there? (if you said how long, I must have missed it)

For those wondering about booking Aulani, so far I have had no trouble booking at 7 months or a bit less, other than trying to get the 2 nights I need before the Disney Cruise from Honolulu. But for that I just started trying to book a bit less than a month ago when I snagged the cruise, so that would have been a tad under 5 months out. For those dates in mid-September it's obvious that DCL has blocked a good number of rooms for pre and post cruise stays for their passengers to book through them. And no doubt lots of DVC members like myself will be on that cruise are are scarfing up availability for that week. I was able to grab one night on points, though not the category/view I prefer, and have 2 wait lists going. And I have a cash booking as a backup in case those W/L do not come through for me. But I would be surprised if anyone had real difficulty booking pretty much what they want if they try at the 7 month window.

I really appreciate the trip report! Fascinating how much there is to do

We just got back from Aulani as well. Got back on May 16.. HATED to leave.. Saw Pearl Harbor, went to Waimea Falls and took a car ride almost all the way around the Island...
It was A-MAZING!!!!!!
DeerH

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!