Just back from Down Under. Questions?

mathgeek

DIS Veteran
I just got back from the first Down Under tour of the 2015 season. I know *WDW*Groupie* started a trip report, and I wasn't planning on doing that. But I'm happy to answer any questions you've got!

Our guides were Amber and Suzanne. They were awesome! We got to do so much on this adventure that I never would've even thought to do if I'd traveled on my own there. But I got to see everything I wanted to. I got to pet a koala and a wombat. We found Nemo in the Great Barrier Reef. I got to see the Harbour Bridge and Opera House at night. Surfing was a blast! And I enjoyed so many things I wasn't sure about. I got to hold a crocodile and a snake. I really enjoyed zip lining. I had forgotten how much I enjoy stargazing.

We were kept so busy on all of the days except day 11. That was really my only complaint. I felt like the tour kind of fizzled to an end after an awesome afternoon on day 10 at Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary (which was my favorite stop!).

Do you have any recommendations for the free time in Sydney? Did you do any pre-days in Sydney or Cairns?
Any restaurant recommendations?
How was the weather?
Any wifi available?
Did you send out any laudry? If so, where?

I think that's it. Oh yeah tell me the flight is going to be ok :)
Leaving in 11 days...

Do you have any recommendations for the free time in Sydney? Did you do any pre-days in Sydney or Cairns?
I did not do any pre or post days.

For my free time in Sydney on the 2nd day in Sydney (day 7 after the surfing) I ended up walking a bit through Hyde Park and the Botanical Gardens. Then walked around the marina. Then I did the Sydney Bridge Pylon Lookout. I'm afraid of heights so I didn't want to do the Bridge Climb, but going up to the Pylon Lookout gave me some great views of the Harbour area. A lot of people did do the bridge climb on that day. I ended my evening by seeing at production of Les Mis at the Capitol Theatre, which was great. I was able to get a great deal at the door - $135 seat for $45
. :)

Any restaurant recommendations?
I don't really have any restaurant recommendations. I ended up not eating out too much during the on our own time b/c I was so full from earlier meals, or on the Great Barrier Reef day I was still feeling some aftereffects of the catamaran ride back.

How was the weather?
I thought the weather was quite pleasant, but a lot of others thought it was chilly, especially in Tasmania. I did layer up a bit in Ayers Rock and Tasmania, but I'm also from the Midwest, so my idea of cold is very different from someone from the southern states, and most of our group was from southern states. I had shorts for the first couple days then switched to pants, long sleeve shirts, and hoodies. I had a light jacket in the morning in Ayers Rock and all through Tasmania.

Any wifi available?
Yes! Palm Cove we had free wifi in the lobby, but you needed a code. Desert Gardens we had free wifi in the lobby and rooms, I think we had to log in with our name and room number. Sheraton we had free wifi in the lobby, but you had to get a code that was good for an hour. But you could get as many codes as you wanted. Some people had luck logging on in the lobby then getting access in their rooms, but I wasn't that lucky. Freycinet Lodge we had free wifi in the lobby and could get a code for the room, but I couldn't get a signal in the room. Grand Chancellor you're given an ID number at check in to use for the wifi, and you could get 300 MB per every 24 hours free or pay for more.

Did you send out any laudry? If so, where?
I did not. But there is laundry available in the room at Palm Cove and there is a coin operated laundry available at Freycinet.

I think that's it. Oh yeah tell me the flight is going to be ok :)
You'll be fine! It's a long way though. Especially on the way back. On the way there my flight left at 11:55 pm from LA so I managed to get a good 6 hours of sleep on the flight. The way back I wasn't that lucky. Trying to sleep at noon Melbourne time wasn't working for me.

Leaving in 11 days...
Yay! :yay:

One more question. Was there any semi submersible sub/glass bottom boat you could go on out at the Great Barrier Reef? I don't think my 10yo DW will be interested in snorkeling. We were in Aulani a year ago and he didn't want to snorkel in their enclosed man made reef.

So there is enough time to climb the bridge in Sydney on that day? Did your guides help arrange it? Thanks.

I'll answer for mathgeek. There is an awesome sub at the GBR. It is around 20 minutes long and spectacular. There is also the option to take a 10 minute helicopter ride (which we did) for $170 (for both of us -- I think that was the cost). There wads also walking along the "base station" with a helmet (not sure if that was included or not). The day at the reef is jam packed. We just had enough time to take the helicopter, sub, eat lunch and snorkel before we had to leave. We did the last snorkel of the day and the water was quite rough (there were white caps that were over my head). If you do decide to snorkel try to get on the first group out with the marine biologist -- the kids in our group were struggling a bit in the water and my dd is a very strong swimmer.

Restaurants in Sydney: our favorite was Vetuno. AMAZING. Fish on then Rocks was also very good. Last night we went to Appetito and it was very good as well. If you are adventurous and like Chinese try Silver in Chinatown. Very, very good food. Dd and I also went to a Thai restaurant called home and it was amazing as well (huge line out front) and very reasonably priced. There was one place we passed called the Chef's Table that had a long wait outside so it must've been good -- we were going to go tonight but I'm too tired.

Thanks! DS is a big fan of helicopter rides so we may have to do that! Do you need to reserve that in advance? Cash/credit cards? Thanks!

So there is enough time to climb the bridge in Sydney on that day? Did your guides help arrange it? Thanks.
Yes there is time to do the bridge climb. And yes, the guides helped with the reservations before we left Palm Cove. We got back at about 1:40 from surfing and I was showered and back out the door by 2:45. I think there was at least one family that got a cab to make their reservation time, but I know a lot of them had reservations later in the day and walked.

I'll answer for mathgeek. There is an awesome sub at the GBR. It is around 20 minutes long and spectacular. There is also the option to take a 10 minute helicopter ride (which we did) for $170 (for both of us -- I think that was the cost). There wads also walking along the "base station" with a helmet (not sure if that was included or not). The day at the reef is jam packed. We just had enough time to take the helicopter, sub, eat lunch and snorkel before we had to leave. We did the last snorkel of the day and the water was quite rough (there were white caps that were over my head). If you do decide to snorkel try to get on the first group out with the marine biologist -- the kids in our group were struggling a bit in the water and my dd is a very strong swimmer.

Just to add to this, the submersible was included with our package. One family did the helmet walk, which was $162 per person.

I was in the 2nd to last group, and I agree with *WDW*Groupie*, the waves did get more rough as the day went on. Once we got out to the pontoon, I took some pics, then changed into my lycra suit and went snorkeling with Amber, then I ate lunch, then went out snorkeling with the marine biologist. I also walked through the viewing area on the pontoon, which was pretty small but nice.

Here's the website for the company that we went with. http://www.quicksilver-cruises.com/wavepiercer.htm
And here are the prices of the additional activities. http://www.quicksilver-cruises.com/OBR_fares.htm

We had the cost of the tour included as well as a voucher for the lycra suit and 4 soft drinks on the catamaran ride. We also got to sign up for a time for the snorkeling tour with the marine biologist. We got to get on the catamaran before the general public and had a little intro of information about the reef from the marine biologist as well. We had one specific marine biologist who worked with our ABD group the whole day. She did the talk before and split us into 4 groups to take out snorkeling through the day.

Were there any dinners that guests dressed up for? I'm trying to decide if I need anything other than shorts, jeans, and hiking pants.

How large was your group?

Were there any apps you found particularly helpful?
We had a total of 30 in the group, which I felt was a really nice size. The guides got to know us all pretty well.

Apps, like phone apps? The only thing I used other than email and iMessage was a weather app to make sure I had the right clothes on. I felt lucky most days when I even had access to a wifi connection.

Were there any dinners that guests dressed up for? I'm trying to decide if I need anything other than shorts, jeans, and hiking pants.
The only dinner that was really more dressy was our first night in Sydney. It was a buffet at the hotel restaurant, Feast. We were given a chance to go to our rooms after checking in to get changed for dinner.

The dinner our one night at White Gums restaurant at Desert Gardens was pretty nice too, but we didn't really get dressed up for that one because we were going out star gazing afterward and it was going to be cold out, so we were dressed for that.

We had really nice meals at Freycinet Lodge for dinner, but I felt they were kind of lost on everyone b/c we were so tired after the activities of the day. Nobody dressed up for these.

How serious is the "hiking" that's listed on the itinerary? I'm doing this trip in December and am trying to decide whether to bring my waterproof keen hikers or just wear my tennis shoes.

How serious is the "hiking" that's listed on the itinerary? I'm doing this trip in December and am trying to decide whether to bring my waterproof keen hikers or just wear my tennis shoes.

Tennis shoes would be fine. Since you are going in summer keen sandals would be fine as well.

Tennis shoes would be fine. Since you are going in summer keen sandals would be fine as well.

I agree. I had 2 pairs of tennis shoes, one canvas and one leather, and was fine. The only issue I had was that the walking we did in Ayers Rock was through a lot of red dirt that got all over my shoes. Luckily they were fine after a good washing once I got home, and I did wipe them down pretty well after each walk. But I do know one of the teens on the trip pretty much ruined a pair of shoes because of those walks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter