Just back from Animal Kingdom Lodge, love it!

Our first trip and we LOVED IT. Just returned today from staying in room 3372. It was a regular room and we were surprised by all the animals we woke up to everyday. The construction was outside our room but you couldn't hear it from inside and it was minimal. Loved the storytelling and hotel activities. My children 12,17 and spouse even made a big animal cookie. :) My husband also participated in the parade after storytelling. I have no complaints except that our room was quite a walk to get to after a long day of activities.

I have a savannah view room on zebra trail. Hopefully by then they won't be working on that particular trail.

Aaaaahhhh! I'm breathing a sigh of relief! I've been watching and waiting for brand new AKL reviews for our trip next month!

I'm very happy to hear its been wonderful for so many people!

So glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at our favorite resort. Can't wait 'til we go back in September!

Thanks for the great review. Now I'm really excited. We will be there tonight!

Just switched from Pop to AKL in August. I'm glad to hear so many good things!
My questions are:
How long does it take to get to the various parks? On the map it looks like AKL is in the middle of nowhere!
I want to switch from a standard to poolview or savanna. What buildings are the best (closest to main building, etc)?

Thanks!

It's great to hear all the good reviews of AKL. We are heading for our first trip with our neices in September, with concierge, on the premium plan.
We were told there would be construction on the concierge floor, but that it would not interfere with anything. I'm holding my breath for bunkbeds, as the girls are not keen on sleeping in the same bed. I hope to see some of you there!

Thank you for posting this thread. I've gone back and read it a hundred times. And I had regretted changing from AKL to WL from the moment I did it. I called back tonight and switched back to AKL! I think that AKL will thrill the girls and we will be dining at WCC so I can check out WL while we're there. Thanks again!

Thanks so much for posting this...you have put my mind at ease. :thumbsup2

We are staying at the AKL for the 1st time next month. This will be our first deluxe stay , so my dh & I are soooo excited. This trip is a SURPRISE for my boys (3 & 7). They have no idea that we are even going. Staying at AKL has always been their dream. I am really hoping it will be a magical time.

I was so worried when I read some of the posts lately. I had horrible visions of nasty CMs and lots of noise...I now have hope that things will be okay.

Glad you had a wonderful time!! I hope we do also! Hopefully this trip won't spoil us that we will never be able to stay moderate or value again. :rotfl:

We just got back from 3 nights at AKL. We were on Kudu trail. We did not hear or see a peep of noise/construction. We did spend some afternoons at the pool and didn't hear it then either. At check in I made sure the CM saw my 20 mo toddler and casually mentioned nap time. She said she would make sure we got a room that didn't have construction noise.
The fire alarm did go off (false alarm) and wake my child from a nap :eek: but it was fine.

We thought the CMs were nice, no issues at all.

We thought the hotel was great, and would stay there again. For us, the best part was seeing the animals from our room. A Savannah View is a "must" for us.

We ate at all 3 restaurants and were very happy with all of them. This was a major plus for us, and will weigh heavily on our decision if to return or try another hotel next time. Jiko was excellent. It was pretty upscale (some men were in jackets) but we felt just fine in a sundress and polo. Our toddler was on his best behavior (the stars aligned) and really enjoyed the food there. He is a kid that wouldn't eat a chicken nugget if his life depended on it :confused3 but loved the grilled salmon.

The kids playground was great. It was nice to have an area for him to blow off steam. It was our first time traveling domestically with him without a suite. The PNP fit nicely in the bathroom sink area. It was perfect that he couldn't see us while falling asleep. We sat on the balcony and enjoyed some wine after we put him down.

All in all a great stay!

My questions are:
How long does it take to get to the various parks? On the map it looks like AKL is in the middle of nowhere!
I want to switch from a standard to poolview or savanna. What buildings are the best (closest to main building, etc)?

Thanks!

Animal Kingdom, obviously, was the closest park, about 5 minutes. All the rest were a pretty good hike, about 10-15 minutes. I must say though, the buses from AKL were great. We never waited more than 5-10 minutes for a bus to arrive at the hotel or the parks. I'd say Magic Kingdom is the farthest and at the end of the night it seemed like it took forever to get back to the resort. All in all, the bus experience was great!!!:thumbsup2

My questions are:

Thanks!

It didn't take long, the busses arrived very quickly, and I think it took at most 20 minutes to get to Epcot.

I recommend highly changing to a Savannah view. And there is only one building...I'd ask for Arusha Savannah Kudu Trail, close to the lobby.

Thought you'd like to see some pictures...I finally got them uploaded!

This was the view from my room...AWESOME!

5-8-2007-240.jpg

5-8-2007-178.jpg

5-8-2007-186.jpg

5-8-2007-188.jpg

It didn't take long, the busses arrived very quickly, and I think it took at most 20 minutes to get to Epcot.

I recommend highly changing to a Savannah view. And there is only one building...I'd ask for Arusha Savannah Kudu Trail, close to the lobby.

Thanks for the tip! Wow!! What AMAZING pictures!!! My kids would love it! (As would me and DH I'm sure!). I'm going to try to switch to Savanna view but it wasn't available with my discount code. The CM said to keep trying though, that something would likely open up between now and August.

Your pictures totally sold me on AKL. Were you in Arusha Savanna Kudu Trail?

Yes! We were not all that close to the lobby, though...it was quite a walk, but made interesting because we'd see Ostrich when we passed the first lookout! We were on the 3rd floor, though...lobby level.

I did not like AKL and would not go back unless a great deal was offered.
The room I was in had a terrible smell that smelled like some had just vomited all over the room. We smelled it the sec. we walked in and I called the FD and they said they would send someone up. It was late and my son was asleep so I just sprayed my germ killer that I take everywhere I go and told them to come the next morning. The next day they cleaned the carpet and changed all the bedclothes while we were at the park, when we walked in the room now smelled like vomit and cleaning stuff combined, not a nice smell so we open the deck door and got to hear all the construction going on.

But the worst was yet to come, I woke up with a bad sore throat and sinus the next morning so I took some meds and slept later then I meant to on the day we had to check out so I was rushing and ended up leaving my diamonds earings that my husband had given me for Christmas 17 yrs. ago. I didn't reliaze that I had left them unto we were 7 hrs down the road and reached up to touch my ear. Needless to say I called and they had not been turned in.
The person who I talked to told me he would go look at the place I left them and where my husband also saw them right before we left.
The very nice man called me back and said he did not see them there, I preceded to tell him about the smelling room and he told me he knew what I was talking about because he move the little fridge (Ileft the earing on top) to see if they might be behind the fridge and he saw the remains of a lot of vomit back there so I knew what the smell was even though housekeeping kept trying to convince me it was leftover smoke and closed up room (the room was non-smoking). To make a sad and long story shorter the only good thing I can say about AKL was transporation was good and the fast food at mara was decent. I hated the pool layout and the very confusing way you got to the pool. So the moral of the story is when you find a place you love like we do the Wildress Lodge, don't shop around.

I did not like AKL and would not go back unless a great deal was offered.
The room I was in had a terrible smell that smelled like some had just vomited all over the room. We smelled it the sec. we walked in and I called the FD and they said they would send someone up. It was late and my son was asleep so I just sprayed my germ killer that I take everywhere I go and told them to come the next morning. The next day they cleaned the carpet and changed all the bedclothes while we were at the park, when we walked in the room now smelled like vomit and cleaning stuff combined, not a nice smell so we open the deck door and got to hear all the construction going on.

But the worst was yet to come, I woke up with a bad sore throat and sinus the next morning so I took some meds and slept later then I meant to on the day we had to check out so I was rushing and ended up leaving my diamonds earings that my husband had given me for Christmas 17 yrs. ago. I didn't reliaze that I had left them unto we were 7 hrs down the road and reached up to touch my ear. Needless to say I called and they had not been turned in.
The person who I talked to told me he would go look at the place I left them and where my husband also saw them right before we left.
The very nice man called me back and said he did not see them there, I preceded to tell him about the smelling room and he told me he knew what I was talking about because he move the little fridge (Ileft the earing on top) to see if they might be behind the fridge and he saw the remains of a lot of vomit back there so I knew what the smell was even though housekeeping kept trying to convince me it was leftover smoke and closed up room (the room was non-smoking). To make a sad and long story shorter the only good thing I can say about AKL was transporation was good and the fast food at mara was decent. I hated the pool layout and the very confusing way you got to the pool. So the moral of the story is when you find a place you love like we do the Wildress Lodge, don't shop around.

Yuck! This is so gross. I'm really sorry about your trip. I just hope it's not something most have happen when staying at AKL. Did they move you to a differnt room?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter