Just Back : Attack of the Flies!!!

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by ChrisnKim913, May 12, 2013.

1. LoriR

LoriR Mouseketeer and DIS Veteran Moderator

No, these were flies! Regular house flies everywhere, lovebugs were out too.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. fraggleroc79

fraggleroc79 Earning My Ears

Was at MK Monday was at the smoking area behind the castle and looked down at my sons shoes and he had about 20 flies on one shoe it was horrible in MK with the fliesdidnt see many at AK today

4. Magpie

Magpie DIS Veteran

Sounds like spring around here, then. They seem to hatch out of the soil and for a few weeks they're crawling over everything, and coming up in clouds when you walk over muddy patches. I'm actually kind of happy to see them each year, as it means the ground's finally thawed for good and winter's over.

Just keep them off your food! The little beggers have sticky feet, like to barf on everything they touch so the enzymes in their saliva can break it down enough to eat, and they're a really bad source of cross contamination, considering they lay their eggs in animal feces. Packing some hand disinfectant can't hurt.

5. ChrisnKim913

ChrisnKim913 DIS Veteran

Yea they are flies... Not love bugs or gnats or anything like that. At least Disney is aware of the situation and closing doors to some of its restaurants.

6. billybob069

billybob069 Earning My Ears

What is with the insistence that people are seeing something other than flies? Lovebugs don't behave anything like flies and just float around more interested in each other. It is easy to tell them apart. These are FLIES, darting around after your food and anything else.

For what it's worth we did encounter a group of biting gnats near Canada waiting for illuminations one night. But those were much smaller than these flies.

7. palmtreegirl

palmtreegirl Loving life in Florida

They are FLIES! Not love bugs. I live here, I know the difference between a fly and love bug, they don't even look alike.

8. wilkeliza

wilkeliza DIS Veteran

Having been in the parks all day for the last 7 days and growing up in the south I know for a fact they are Flies. I think it is a little silly that no one believes us.

Disney is aware of the situation but as reported before it is not just a Disney issue. It seems to be a central Florida wide issue with large swarms popping up all over.

I was in MK today and while I didn't notice as many adult flies I did see several mid-life flies. I will say it is weird how spaced and in specific areas they are. Spent the day in Adventureland and not but 1 fly spot walked over to Pecos bill and the Enchanted tales and they were every where!

9. paintnolish

paintnolish <font color=darkorchid>You'd think a sniff in the

My mom called me from DTD the other day. She said they were having a nice time except for the flies! I said I already knew because I saw it on the Dis!

10. parkhopping

parkhopping DIS Veteran<br><a href="http://www.disboards.com/s

They are definitely regular black houseflies. Not gnats or lovebugs or anything else. They don't bite, either, and they are interested in food.

11. eeyoresnr

eeyoresnr DIS Veteran

wow, I hope Disney fixes this soon :bitelip:

12. bentopher

bentopher Mouseketeer

Got to POP at 1230. Was out and about the resort. Got to MK at 5, left at 830. I haven't seen any flys or love bugs... Yet! :)

13. EpcotKilterFan

EpcotKilterFan <font color=red>The first to extend her Fish<br><b

They were flies! I sure wish I took a photo of them! We were sitting at the Off Kilter stage for a week and they were so annoying. No food anywhere near by. Even the band on stage was having an issue with them.

We had lovebugs as well, but I think that the flies were even annoying them!:rotfl2: There were less lovebugs and more flies after a while.

Debbie

14. Mousemommy1

Mousemommy1 DIS Veteran

This is both the most disturbing and all at the same time most hilarious thing I have read on the Dis! :rotfl2:

I never want my head caught in a "cloud" of that nature. :rotfl:

Now to go wipe off the iPad I just spit all over.....

15. dsnycrzy

dsnycrzy W/4 kids who has time for anything else but planni

Our trip isn't until August but my DD10 is petrified of flies :scared1: she has been for years! I means dipping & dodging, fanning & screaming! This is making me want to cancel this year and wait this issue out because this wont be a pleasant trip for her especially AT ALL.:scared:

16. hsmamainva

hsmamainva DIS Veteran

We've been here since Saturday. They are regular ordinary flies...like the kind you would find in your kitchen on a hot summer day when you leave a door or window open.

The only time we've really noticed them are when we sit down. If you sit down on a bench, they will be all over you. As long as you keep walking, you're good.

Really bad at Epcot & MK -- hardly saw any at HS. Off to AK today and we'll see how they are there!

And they're gone completely when the sun starts to go down btw.

17. dsnycrzy

dsnycrzy W/4 kids who has time for anything else but planni

KILL ME NOW!!!! Hil-FREAKIN-larious :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::lmao::lmao::lmao::goodvibes

18. disneyfan888

disneyfan888 DIS Veteran

Hey we live in Orlando and are used to having bugs. We do not expect them to cast a spell and block them out. The volumes at the world right now are insane and its an issue in that area because we do not have the intense amounts where we live. Our comments were based on observation and the fact that the amount of bugs were more than usual which is what people are expressing on this thread. No need to get sarcastic.

19. FortForever

FortForever Disney since Day 1

:rotfl2::lmao: Can't say that I've ever had this unpleasantness happen.

For the love of God, people .... Myself, and everyone else at WDW know the difference between a fly, gnat, and a love bug. I doubt there is a single adult on the planet that can't tell the difference. The only thing the three have in common is that they are black and they fly.

Why do people keep suggesting stupid stuff like this?!?!?

These are FLIES! FLIES! FLIES!

Quit insulting peoples' intelligence please!

Are you sure they're not geckos, rats, or snakes you are seeing? ;)

20. MarieA

MarieA DIS Veteran

My DH and I just returned on 5/14. During the time we were there we kept commenting about the flies. We travel to WDW every year during the same week and have never had a problem with flies.

21. rccllap

rccllap Who is this kid and why is he calling me Mom?

Well, I checked with Mom again, she's at the Studios today (on the backlot tour as I type this) and she has seen exactly zero flies. She says maybe she's in a lucky bubble but that it has been no issue whatsoever.