Just back and not impressed with food options

RainK

Mouseketeer
Just spend 9 days in the world. I don't dare to step on the scale, I must say. :guilty::guilty::eek:

Since we were not on a DDP this trip, and didn't want to be tied down to an ADR everyday, we opted for most CS meals with the exception of Cape May bkfst, Ohana dinner, TREX dinner and Liberty Tree Tavern.

By day 3, I was soooo sick of the burgers, fries, fried food options, etc. I felt like all the CS restaurants had the same food and it was terrible. Not many options I found. And the food I did choose was not good quality.

The best CS I had all week was at MK in tomorrow land...roasted chicken and mashed potatoes with green beans. 2nd runner up a lobster roll at Boardwalk Bakery.

Even our favorite Ohana was not enjoyable this year. We usually LOVE IT but left feeling "what was that?". I don't think I would book it for our next trip....it was *that* disappointing this year.

Our favorite TS meal was by far Liberty Tree. Delish.

For breakfast,I had planned to get fruit every morning, but the fruit cups didn't look fresh and appeared over ripe. I opted for bananas and of course a muffin each day. Oh...and the bacon...what is with the bacon? I say it every year....it is not real bacon. Hahaha It's just awful. Forgot how bad it was until we went to Cape May for bkfst.:rotfl2:

Even the kids meal choices are awful. I just wish they would offer better quality and healthier options.

I always come home feeling gross and unhealthy....and it wasnt worth it.

We only do CS, with the exception of one OOP TS each trip. It is just our preference to not be tied down to ADRs. However, I only might have one or two burgers the whole trip and never feel that I'm left without any good choices.

That said, you do have to carefully pick at which CS you eat. We find great food at Sunshine Seasons, AoA food court, Starring Rolls, etc. I also substitute kid's grapes or carrots as my dessert option at some places. The sugar and calories just aren't worth it for what some places offer for dessert.

Of course, I still come home feeling bloated and unhealthy! But that's due to all the carrot cake cookies and cupcakes.....a whole other story! :rotfl:

So sorry you weren't able to find something to your liking. As many know, in 40 years of trips, I have never had a burger at WDW. Like the PP, we love Sunshine seasons (Salmon better there than at Artist Point IMHO), All of World Showcase, Flame Tree, Y & Y, my list goes on and on. Hope you are able to find something better next trip! :)

So sorry you weren't able to find something to your liking. As many know, in 40 years of trips, I have never had a burger at WDW. Like the PP, we love Sunshine seasons (Salmon better there than at Artist Point IMHO), All of World Showcase, Flame Tree, Y & Y, my list goes on and on. Hope you are able to find something better next trip! :)

^this^

Sorry you were stuck ordering burgers.

We have been to WDW so many times over the last five years...and I think we've had burgers twice in 20+ visits. There are so many other fast-food choices available at Disney World, we just always figure we can get burgers anywhere, so let's find something different. And we do.::yes::

I think that Disney actually does a decent job of offering more than burgers and fries. Flame Tree BBQ and Yak and Yeti have different offerings as well as Sunshine Seasons and a lot of the CS places in EPCOT. I do think that you are going to come back bloated no matter what you eat. For the most part, all the food is processed to some extent and high in sodium. However, I do think that it's not that hard to make healthier choices at CS places.

I hear you, I got pretty sick of the food by the end of the week on our last trip. I am a pretty picky eater so I was relegated to burgers and fried junk for much of the QS locations we ate at. It won't help you now, but I loved the pasta and salad bars at the POR QS location and we found most of the countries in Epcot had some unique items at their QS locations.

I am one of those annoying folks that has had very few bad meals at Disney, some really very good. I think it is partly because we go in the winter, honestly; if I were there in the heat I am sure I would feel half sick from eating in the heat and humidity. All I ever want is salads and fruit in Texas' summers, so I can't even conceive of eating fried food at WDW in the summer. :sick:

We don't eat a lot of CS meals, though, I have to say. We feel like dining is part of the experience, and we like to take a break. We also have dialed down our expectations for many of the TS restaurants; as long as they are on par with the moderately priced chain places I am okay. Service is far more important to us.

We eat more on vacation at WDW than we do at home, and we certainly eat more junk, but we also try to get our fruits and veggies. It's only a week and we walk so much I have never gained weight at Disney.

The holidays at home are far more deadly! :crazy2:

Hope you feel better soon, though! Drink lots of filtered water and maybe some probiotics would help?

We ate at sunshine seasons one night and I was the only one that liked it. My DH and kids didn't care for it. :confused3
They are the picky picky eaters and it was easier to all eat together, so I probably could've really looked for alternate choices, but it wasn't in our cards this year. So, I saw a lot of American food fare choices all week.

We spent a lot of lunches at BC and the food options weren't vast unless we went over to BW (which we did 1 day). I think my DH had burgers and Mac n cheese 1/2 the time. :rotfl2:

All in all, at CS meals, I ate: chic ceaser salad (way too much dressing), lobster/shrimp rolls at BC, fish and chips, BLT sandwich, lobster roll at BW Bakery, oh...and can't forget the pizza more than once :rotfl2:

Just thinking about it again, gives me the shivers :rotfl2:

At any rate, today I ate super healthy at home.

I just don't understand...

1. It's vacation. Big deal if you gain a few pounds. It's not the end of the world. Just go back to hitting the gym and eating veggies and lots of water- the weight will come off.

2. Disney has so many delicious food options. I would never order a burger.

3. Table service is part of the fun of vacation.

4. Of course the food is not going to be super healthy- you are at a resort not a health spa.

5. If you dislike it that much, don't go back and pick a vacation that suits your tastes better.

You just didn't check out the other restaurants Columbia Harbor House has a great selection fish, shrimp, soups, sandwiches, and the best tuna sandwich. Cosmic rays has sandwiches and great chicken mashed potatoes and fresh vegetables. Plaza has wonderful club sandwiches. Epcot the land has great chicken pork chops and sandwiches. The countries have wonderful food. A.K. has flame tree barbecue and the yak and yet. I only eat burgers one time down there. You just have to explore plenty of selection there.

We always have one TS per day and are careful with CS choice and don't generally feel as bad as the op did. Maybe it's the TS that makes the difference? We don't feel tied down with the TS except that as humans we are a bit attached to eating.

We simply get fruit at the store or get it as snacks, etc, and we always have a ton of water. We eat what we want (though what i want is very different from what i used to want), don't eat what isnt good, share when we want to share, and on our last trip (2 weeks at wdw/uni and 3 night Disney cruise) I lost 4 lbs. I'm highly sodium sensitive so the water is very very important.

We ate at sunshine seasons one night and I was the only one that liked it. My DH and kids didn't care for it. :confused3
They are the picky picky eaters and it was easier to all eat together, so I probably could've really looked for alternate choices, but it wasn't in our cards this year. So, I saw a lot of American food fare choices all week.

We spent a lot of lunches at BC and the food options weren't vast unless we went over to BW (which we did 1 day). I think my DH had burgers and Mac n cheese 1/2 the time. :rotfl2:

All in all, at CS meals, I ate: chic ceaser salad (way too much dressing), lobster/shrimp rolls at BC, fish and chips, BLT sandwich, lobster roll at BW Bakery, oh...and can't forget the pizza more than once :rotfl2:

Just thinking about it again, gives me the shivers :rotfl2:

At any rate, today I ate super healthy at home.

If they are picky eaters I'm not sure what you should expect. And there are plenty of healthier options at the BC.

Just spend 9 days in the world. I don't dare to step on the scale, I must say. :guilty::guilty::eek:

Since we were not on a DDP this trip, and didn't want to be tied down to an ADR everyday, we opted for most CS meals with the exception of Cape May bkfst, Ohana dinner, TREX dinner and Liberty Tree Tavern.

By day 3, I was soooo sick of the burgers, fries, fried food options, etc. I felt like all the CS restaurants had the same food and it was terrible. Not many options I found. And the food I did choose was not good quality.

The best CS I had all week was at MK in tomorrow land...roasted chicken and mashed potatoes with green beans. 2nd runner up a lobster roll at Boardwalk Bakery.

Even our favorite Ohana was not enjoyable this year. We usually LOVE IT but left feeling "what was that?". I don't think I would book it for our next trip....it was *that* disappointing this year.

Our favorite TS meal was by far Liberty Tree. Delish.

For breakfast,I had planned to get fruit every morning, but the fruit cups didn't look fresh and appeared over ripe. I opted for bananas and of course a muffin each day. Oh...and the bacon...what is with the bacon? I say it every year....it is not real bacon. Hahaha It's just awful. Forgot how bad it was until we went to Cape May for bkfst.:rotfl2:

Even the kids meal choices are awful. I just wish they would offer better quality and healthier options.

I always come home feeling gross and unhealthy....and it wasnt worth it.

Ohana dinner can be pretty unhealthy. If you went to LTT for dinner it is pretty unhealthy too. And you loved the bacon at Cape May. That's all heavy food. Add to that the unhealthy CS melas you had (and you can get.plenty of healthy CS meals). Looks like the blame is being pointed in the wrong direction.

I agree with some of the previous posters in that there are some really good CS options that aren't burgers and fries.

Having said that the lower quality, overpriced meals found at many TS restaurants have made us search offsite for better dinners. We have been much happier eating at some offsite places for the last few years.

When we went to Disney last year, I ate alot of sandwiches but I only ate 1 burger the entire time - and it was the vegetable burger at Sci Fi.

I'm a health nut so I always tried to find a healthy alternative. Come to think of it, my dad was the only person in our party of 4 who ate a burger maybe more than 3 times throughout our visit and that's because he just really loves burgers!

What we had for cs meals was fish, chicken, salads, wraps, ribs, pizza, tuna salad, pulled pork, sweet and sour pork, egg rolls, turkey sandwich, steak sandwich, etc... If that isn't variety I don't know what is!

I don't eat red meat, so I haven't ever had a burger at Disney; I've never had a problem with finding options at CS. I like Sunshine Seasons, Cosmic Rays, the CS at China, and many more:banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter