Just Back 8/3 - 8/11

hvanes

Mouseketeer
After several trips in June and July, this was the latest in the summer that we've ever been at WDW. I was nervous about the heat and unsure about crowds, but we had a truly wonderful week. I thought I'd share some quick thoughts for others who may consider traveling this time of year.

RESORT: Saratoga Springs 2-br, Grandstand area
We stayed at SSR last trip as well, in the Paddock section. I requested Grandstand this time because I had read that it was quieter, and I knew it was closer to the Carriage House. We were just a short walk away from the boats to DS.

POOLS: The Grandstand has its own pool that is adorably themed with a splash pad. We were also a short walk from the High Rock Springs Pool, and I would say we split our pool time equally between the two locations. Weather was fantastic so we were able to swim almost every single day, sometimes twice. High Rock Springs closes at 10, but the Grandstand pool was technically open until 11 (though dh saw people swimming as late as midnight a couple of nights) so we often got another dip in before bed.

BUSES: BAD. Truly our only resort complaint, but definitely a complaint. I could go on about this, but I won't. Interestingly... our boat "captain" to DS shared that there was recently a meeting with boat drivers and it was shared that Disney is looking at ways to expand the canals and "river travel", due in part to overcrowding on buses. We were glad to have our own car and began using it often for our morning excursions. Much more efficient for EP, HS, and AK, although it meant more walking.

BEES: Both pool areas had an abundance of bees! The refillable drink stations were literally swarming with them. I have not seen this before at WDW.

CROWDS: As I read other trip reports, I'm realizing how very relative this is... but, compared to our July trips, I felt that the crowds were very manageable! I also found folks to be very pleasant and laid-back. Our family was talking about how we didn't see a single "freak-out" this trip -- we have stories from years past of parents yelling, kids screaming, people fighting at fireworks, etc. We saw some mild frustration from people who arrived just minutes before fireworks not being able to find a spot, but that's par for the course. Otherwise it was very pleasant. The one exception was the night that MK had evening EMH. That was overwhelming for me. I was thankful to stake out a fireworks spot and just sit with my corn dog nuggets and mustard rather than battle the crowds.

HAPPILY EVER AFTER: I cried. Saw it twice, got teary both times, don't even like fireworks, and only ever saw Wishes once. I loved it with all my heart. That music.... sigh.

PANDORA: I'm glad we saw Na'vi, but in the future I won't feel the need to use a fp on it or wait more than 15 minutes in standby. Parts of it were amazing and then other parts, meh. Flight of Passage literally took my breath away. We got to do it twice -- had a FP for it towards the end of our trip, but a couple days prior, we magically were able to secure FPs in the middle of the day. It is fantastic and a new favorite for most of us. Our meal at Satu'li was delicious and a very nice break from burgers and the like. Everything was fresh and cooked perfectly. The area itself was FILLED with people -- many from the long, snaking standby FOP line that had to be divided by CMs to allow a feasible walkway.

FP+: I loved being able to add FP and adjust them from my phone. We had such good luck with this strategy. However, it became almost an addiction for me, always thinking that something better could come up or a closer window of time. As the sole FP maker, I once found myself "refreshing" during a nice meal and realized that I was wasting precious family time on MDE. This may not be an issue for some, but if you have perfectionist tendencies like yours truly, it can be hard to "let it go". A lesson learned, and now shared.

PICK-A-PEARL: This continues to be a favorite tradition/souvenir for my girls, who are now 12 and 15. DD15 got a silver/blue pearl this time - it is stunning. We love the contagious energy of the CMs in Japan; the entire experience is so joyful. I could stand there and watch folks pick pearls all the livelong day.

NEW TO US: After 5 trips, I finally worked up the courage to try EE. I giggled and screamed the whole time! I am a ride chicken and didn't even do Kali the first time we came, so I'm pretty proud of myself. We had never seen the Tiki Birds, and DS5 was not terribly impressed. About 4 minutes in, he whispered, "Mom, when is this show gonna start?" :D We did a 4-Park 1-Day Challenge; it was a blast! We tried Biergarten and Tusker House and loved the food and ambiance at both. Unfortunately, we've started to wonder if the 18% gratuity tacked on to our large party diminishes servers' desire to work for a tip. Something that we have noticed at most of our TS meals the past couple of trips. We're good tippers and always willing to give more than that when it's warranted, but we have not had many good experiences recently. I enjoyed FEA so much that I snagged an evening FP and rode by myself when the rest of my family went to do TT. It felt so indulgent to traipse through the World Showcase alone. I enjoyed a Schofferhofer afterwards too. ;)

Sweet memories were made, and I'm so grateful for this board and all the help I find here each time we go.

PICK-A-PEARL: This continues to be a favorite tradition/souvenir for my girls, who are now 12 and 15. DD15 got a silver/blue pearl this time - it is stunning. We love the contagious energy of the CMs in Japan; the entire experience is so joyful. I could stand there and watch folks pick pearls all the livelong day.

I have never heard to this and love this idea! Thanks for sharing, I am going to start this tradition with my girls on our upcoming trip.

Sounds like a GREAT trip, thanks for the report. We leave in just over a week and are hopeful for some great weather and those lighter-than-usual summer crowds that I keep reading about. We've been in May, June and July and braved heat and crowds for all of those...including July 4th week. August is looking promising which is good as we have only 2 full days devoted to parks.

Sounds like a great trip! I am so like you... checking the app constantly. We go in just over two weeks and I'm really really trying to convince myself to slow down... go with the flow and not worry about what else may be out there. Reading your advice helped me.

I have never heard to this and love this idea! Thanks for sharing, I am going to start this tradition with my girls on our upcoming trip.
It's so much fun! Four years ago DD got "twins" - small and creamy white. We had them made into earrings as a gift for her later.

Sounds like a GREAT trip, thanks for the report. We leave in just over a week and are hopeful for some great weather and those lighter-than-usual summer crowds that I keep reading about. We've been in May, June and July and braved heat and crowds for all of those...including July 4th week. August is looking promising which is good as we have only 2 full days devoted to parks.
It's hot for sure but definitely no worse than July! Were used to it by now... Plus, we live in Iowa and our girls play softball. A few weeks ago we were sitting at the state tournament and the heat index was over 100° so this was a-ok with us. :)

Sounds like a great time! I'm pleased by your review of SSR (apart from the buses!) as we are heading there next month!

FP+: I loved being able to add FP and adjust them from my phone. We had such good luck with this strategy. However, it became almost an addiction for me, always thinking that something better could come up or a closer window of time. As the sole FP maker, I once found myself "refreshing" during a nice meal and realized that I was wasting precious family time on MDE. This may not be an issue for some, but if you have perfectionist tendencies like yours truly, it can be hard to "let it go". A lesson learned, and now shared.

I couldn't agree more. This happened to me while waiting in line, while waiting for our table, while waiting for meals to arrive, walking around the park, etc... I found myself looking at my phone trying to secure the next FP, while missing everything going on around me (including family conversations while waiting in line). It became a little ironic as I would continue to remind DDs not to be on their phones, to look up and enjoy what was happening around them. Needless to say, they would remind me too :) I ended up giving up on trying to secure the additional FPs to enjoy what was happening in the present.

Thank you for posting your Trip Report!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter