Just a lot of stupid questions I need to ask !

AdamEfimoff

DIS Veteran
We are going to United States in June

My sister lives in Palo Alto and we are going to New York and Washington D.C ?

Should I go to Orlando in the summer or is too hot. My concern is that we will be on the east coast for part of the trip and maybe going to San Fran to see my sister. And wondering would Orlando or LA be better. I really loved the Getty, Huntington Library. but heard so much about Harry Potter Diagon Alley. Because I hate flying and do not want to be in planes for the whole trip. I am asking because Is Animal Kingdom worth it or is San Diego Zoo just as good. I am also wondering I really love museums and culture would New York and Washington D.C be enough or should we consider somewhere else in addition.

We are coming from Australia and thinking maybe stop in LA and do the east coast on the way there to NYC etc and then go to Las Vegas and San Fran on the way back to reduce jet lag?

Also what tours do you recommend for both parks?

I would stick to LA. Go to Disneyland and go to Universal Hollywood as their Harry Potter area is opening this April. And, IMHO, if you want to skip San Diego, simply go to the Bronx Zoo when you are in NYC. It definitely rivals San Diego's zoo. If you want to see animals, go to one of the zoos. Animal Kingdom is fun, but it's more about rides and shows. Of course, there are animals and a "safari", but San Diego and Bronx Zoo will give you more of a "zoo" experience. AK is more about atmosphere, if you ask me. The animal exhibits are not as extensive as either of the zoos. You can even go to the zoo in DC, but IMHO, it's not as good as Bronx or San Diego. I would absolutely not fly from NYC or DC to Orlando JUST to go to AK.

Honestly, I think you will get enough museums in LA, NYC (SO many museums!) and DC (Smithsonian is unbelievable). Yes, I would go to LA (visit Disneyland and Universal), head to NYC and DC (do one of the zoos, I would pick Bronx) and then fly home via another city based on your interests.

I would stick to LA. Go to Disneyland and go to Universal Hollywood as their Harry Potter area is opening this April. And, IMHO, if you want to skip San Diego, simply go to the Bronx Zoo when you are in NYC. It definitely rivals San Diego's zoo. If you want to see animals, go to one of the zoos. Animal Kingdom is fun, but it's more about rides and shows. Of course, there are animals and a "safari", but San Diego and Bronx Zoo will give you more of a "zoo" experience. AK is more about atmosphere, if you ask me. The animal exhibits are not as extensive as either of the zoos. You can even go to the zoo in DC, but IMHO, it's not as good as Bronx or San Diego. I would absolutely not fly from NYC or DC to Orlando JUST to go to AK.

Honestly, I think you will get enough museums in LA, NYC (SO many museums!) and DC (Smithsonian is unbelievable). Yes, I would go to LA (visit Disneyland and Universal), head to NYC and DC (do one of the zoos, I would pick Bronx) and then fly home via another city based on your interests.

I was thinking of Magic Kingdom. Is it worth going to see Magic Kingdom, see animal kingdom and epcot. ? and to eat at Victoria and Alberts and Jiko and Animal Kingdom and EPCOT. I am a real foodie or would LA have good options like spago and mellise ?

You can't compare Animal Kingdom to a zoo. Animal Kingdom does not want to be thought of as a zoo. You can see some animals there, but it's in no way as much as you'd see at a zoo. San Diego is probably the best zoo in the US though (personal opinion). You see a lot of animals there that you won't see anywhere else. If you're wanting a strict zoo experience, you should go to the San Diego zoo or the national zoo in DC. My favorite zoo is San Diego's because I love getting to see pandas. Animal Kingdom has some animals, as mentioned, but there's rides and shows and some nature preservation exhibits to see and hear. It's more theming that makes Animal Kingdom so amazing. There will be a new nighttime show opening at some point this spring or summer, so I'm sure that will be nice to see too. If this is the only Disney park you want to visit, I wouldn't bother flying into Florida. If you love museums, NYC and DC definitely have the best, DC having all of our national museums and NY just having so many. The odds are likely that in Australia, you've experienced summers with heat like you'll experience in Orlando in the summer, but probably not the humidity level. It is HIGH humidity in the summer, which leads to the air being thick and feeling hotter. If you're wanting to go to Harry Potter, you can get some of it at the LA universal studios but it is not as good of a park as the one in Orlando. The Universal Orlando park is so much better than the one in LA just because it has more to do. Their Harry Potter area is more expansive as well, I believe. If you're going to do both Universal and Disney, I recommend hitting Orlando over the ones in California simply because Anaheim is about an hour or so away from LA depending on traffic. Universal Orlando and Disney world are about 15-20 minutes apart at the most.

I also see that you mentioned wanting to go to WDW for the food aspect. I can say that as much as I love the theming at Disney places and enjoy the food, the only place worth flying all the way there to eat at would be Victoria and Alberts. Not that I would make a special trip there just to eat, but it's probably the only place I can have a straight face when I say that the food is pretty much as good as the service with only occasional ick moments. The service is outstanding at V&A and they really try to cater to your tastes and what you like. None of the World Showcase places at Epcot are worth making a special trip to eat at, but are good to eat at if you have a trip planned. Most dining at Disney is good but not worth showcasing as a reason to travel there to experience. It pains me to say that because I love eating at Disney, but want to be realistic for you since you're traveling such a long way. If you're planning on doing the Magic Kingdom and don't do Disneyland, I would stay at the Grand Floridian which will make transportation to the Magic Kingdom a short 2 minute monorail ride away and will put you right where you need to be to eat at Victoria and Albert's with ease. There are other signature dining options at the Grand Floridian that are pretty good too. The Grand is Disney's most expensive resort but if price isn't an issue I would spring for it just for the ease of getting to where you want to go, minus Animal Kingdom.

If you do Orlando at all, I would recommend doing it before you do the DC and NY leg of your tour. You do not want to be hitting Disney last when you're exhausted. You could end up being pretty miserable.

I was thinking of Magic Kingdom. Is it worth going to see Magic Kingdom, see animal kingdom and epcot. ? and to eat at Victoria and Alberts and Jiko and Animal Kingdom and EPCOT. I am a real foodie or would LA have good options like spago and mellise ?

Disneyland in CA is the ORIGINAL Magic Kingdom. Again, I, personally, would stick to LA. Universal and Disneyland really aren't that far apart (maybe 40 minutes). Certainly closer than flying all the way to Orlando. Disneyland has many of the same (with slight variations) rides as WDW and then has some rides and shows that are unique to their parks. Again, for me, going to San Diego, Bronx or the National zoo is a better animal experience than AK.

In terms of food, the food at WDW cannot hold a candle to what you will find in LA or NYC. And that is STILL an understatement. There is zero reason to go to Orlando for food.

First off there is no such thing as a stupid question on a forum. The only really stupid question is the ones you don't ask. The entire reason forums exist is for people to get their questions answered. No other reason. So please don't apologize because you have some questions.

I live near Orlando and I don't think it is hot here at all. Even in June. I used to live in Las Vegas where it gets twenty degrees hotter. It only gets medium here at the most. Don't tell me about humidity. I much prefer the humidity here to the dryness of Las Vegas. However if you are from someplace where it snows in the winter then you will probably find Orlando hot in June.

The San Diego Zoo is many times better than Animal Kingdom. However Animal Kingdom has many things you can't find at SDZ. It is well worth visiting.

If you love museums then Washington DC is like dying and going to heaven. There are about ten Smithsonian Museums and they are all incredible. NY also has a lot of great museums. You can spend weeks visiting museums in both places.

Most of the tours at WDW are worthwhile.

That is very tough. They are so different experiences. If you have a week, I would suggest Orlando so you can do Universal and WDW. If you have less time than that I would suggest California.

do not for get about holly wood studo this place is fun has the best roller coaster (RnR) I would do disney world has a lot of places to eat ( and the for is incredible) a lot to do you have universal and sea world with in ab hour drive ( if that) I think you could early spend 10+ days here ( 2 or 3 days at MK 2 or 3 days at EPCOT 1 or 2 days at AK 1 day at HS 3 or 4 days at universal 2 park 1 or 2 days at sea world) and I did not minchen things you can do in orlando like the orlando eye area or you could can go to disney strings those 2 places can be a long evening and still want to stay longer if you go out west you could do that in 6 or 7 days ever easily ( 2 or 3 days a disney land 2 or 3 days at universal and then 1 day where ever.

Oh! And I just realized you said you were traveling in June. Dining options at WDW for June are getting to be slim pickings already for the more "popular" places, especially toward the beginning half of the month. If you'd really really like to eat at V&A I recommend deciding for sure that you're going to Orlando and promptly call the Disney dining reservation number to try and secure a reservation ASAP.

Just wanted to point out that Palo Alto is like 7 hours away from San Diego. So, you could pretty much fly to Orlando in the time that it would take you to drive the length of California. Even Los Angeles (and Disneyland) is a good 4-5 hour drive from Palo Alto, so travel is in your future if you want to do any Disney.

Like someone else said, get your fill of museums in NY and DC. As for whether or not you want to Disney, you're on a Disney forum so most people would probably say YES!! I agree with the poster above who said if you have a week, then do Disney World (Florida) and if you only have a few days, go with Disneyland.

Florida is "out of the way" but it's about a 2 1/2 hour flight from NY to Orlando (less from the DC area), so it's not too terrible.

You do not go to WDW for the food, unless maybe if you live in an area without decent food. The San Diego and Bronx zoos are top zoos in the US. There is so much to see and do in LA, DC, and NYC, and Orlando is hot and humid in June (and WDW crowded).

You do not go to WDW for the food, unless maybe if you live in an area without decent food. The San Diego and Bronx zoos are top zoos in the US. There is so much to see and do in LA, DC, and NYC, and Orlando is hot and humid in June (and WDW crowded).

Add the National Zoo to that list too, and the National zoo is free.

https://nationalzoo.si.edu

In terms of food, the food at WDW cannot hold a candle to what you will find in LA or NYC. And that is STILL an understatement. There is zero reason to go to Orlando for food.

This x1000. Same with DC, it has become a great food town!

I think hitting Disneyland for a couple days while you are in California makes so much more sense than flying to Orlando. As much as I love WDW, it will be overwhelming and the experience there will likely not be nearly as efficient as visiting the Disneyland Parks. Getting around WDW is time consuming and the whole thing takes a ton of planning. The California Parks will be simpler to navigate, and much more manageable in terms of seeing most/all of what is on offer.

I would stick with Disneyland. I don't see any point in an Orlando excursion. Epcot, AK and DHS are not worth going out of your way, when you have Carsland, Toon Town and the original Disneyland with all of the other amenities of L.A.

Catalina Island is a great day trip. We saw flying fish, seals and dolphins just on the boat ride out there. Then we snorkeled with manta rays, walked around the village, and there's more stuff to do if you rent bikes, a cart or take a bus ride.

I agree with comments earlier posted - the Bronx Zoo or San Diego Zoo are great. San Diego is frankly amazing. Bronx is a neat, and different experience. You can take a subway to get to that one from anywhere in NYC.

Have fun!

Please note that airfare from California to Florida will not be inexpensive. Sounds like a great trip in any case!

Flying from one side of the country and north to south like that is going to cost a fortune, both in money and time. I'd stick to the west coast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!