Jungle Cruise - why was the water red?

SnapesGirl

DIS Veteran
I completely forgot to ask this before, but when we went to WDW in May this year, the water in the Jungle Cruise was red. All the previous times we had gone, the water was normal. Anyone know why it's red and are they keeping it like that permanently? I personally prefer the regular water!

I went in May too and noticed the red water, in fact we rode it the day the opened it back up after refurbishment... I assumed it was because it was "new" water after the refurbishment. I cant remember if I asked though!

Not sure why it is red but on the Keys to the Kingdom tour our guide told us they pour a chemical into the water to help keep it clean. It gets poured and mixed in the waterfall you pass by. It was normal color on our tour so maybe they used a different type of chemical that is causing the red tint

I think it has something to do with the poor guy getting it "in the end" from the Rhino.

I was once told by a boat captain on the way from POR to DTD that the color in the water comes from the trees vegetation that falls into the water, and as it decays, it releases tannins into the water which dye it.

It was regular looking when we went on two weeks ago so I guess it just looks like that from time to time

There was a report of a renegade dentist shooting everything he saw to mount on his wall to prove his testosterone level.

Seriously though, that is a frequent situation and is because they have re-dyed the water so that you would not see the track that the boat rides on plus the concrete bottom. (hope I didn't just burst a bubble there) It is common maintenance of the ride it adds disinfectant, algae killer and dye. The day you saw it was either the day that they did the function or just a few days after. Before too long it returns to the shade of eech, that it usually is.

I don't know , except this thread put a smile on my face. You all have a great weekend. Thanks Danny

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts