June & Gay Days

alcacael

Earning My Ears
I am planning a trip to Disney June 1-6 with my kids ages 9,11,13 & 15. I have since found out that these include the Gay Days. While I would not change my dates if only my husband and I were going, I do not want to be in the position to answer questions about homosexuality while at Disney! Has anyone been on Gay Days and is it uncomfortable with kids as far as public affection etc?

I don't know where you live, but unless your children have been cloistered at those ages they have probably all been exposed to homosexual life. Several years ago my late wife and I (neither of us homosexual) had been in MK on Gay Day. Judy's comment was she had seen more PDA in teenage heterosexual couples on other trips than she had seen on Gay Day. You will see a lot of couples holding hands, but not much else. If you are asked questions, a reasonable answer/explanation is "Generally men and women love people from the opposite sex; however many men love other men and many women love other women."

Just don't wear red.

alcacael said:
I am planning a trip to Disney June 1-6 with my kids ages 9,11,13 & 15. I have since found out that these include the Gay Days. While I would not change my dates if only my husband and I were going, I do not want to be in the position to answer questions about homosexuality while at Disney! Has anyone been on Gay Days and is it uncomfortable with kids as far as public affection etc?
sent you a PM

:::delurking here...we haven't switched our cable options to showtime yet so I've been popping in to read what's happening on the L-Word! We'll switch towards the end of the season and I'll catch them from OnDemand.:::

My husband and I have been during Gay Days and have been in the Magic Kingdom for the day everyone was scheduled to be there. My kids are 3 and 5. For us, it was a non-issue. We saw no inappropriate PDA on that trip and I'd agree we saw more from hetero couples on other trips than we did from gay/lesbian couples on this trip. Children are very open and accepting. It will only be an issue if you make it one. My youngest didn't comment at all. My 5 year old commented on a gay couple there with their daughter. We were behind them in line and he heard their daughter calling one of them Dad and one Papa. My FIL is Papa to my sons so he said "that girl called him Papa but he's not old enough to be a Papa" (to him Papa = grandfather and these men were both mid 30s). I said "Papa doesn't always have to be a Poppy (my Dad is Poppy so that's his word for Grandfather). It can mean Daddy too." My son said "but she said HE's her Dad." (pointing to the other man) I said "but she has TWO Dads so she must call him Papa so nobody gets confused." The men in front of us smiled and one sort of mouthed "thanks." DS looked back and forth at them and said to the little girl "you've got 2 dads?" she nodded and he says "oh...that's cool." :) He asked later if the girl had 2 Moms too and I said no, that most families have a Mom and a Dad but that sometimes families are a little different. We talked about how the kids 2 doors down live with just their Mom and their Dad lives in another state (divorced) or his friend who has 2 families (parents divorced, both remarried with other kids and they share custody of DSs friend) and explained that in some families there are 2 Mommies or 2 Daddies. Later that day he pointed out 2 women standing with their arms around each other's waist and said "that must be a 2 Mommy family." That was that for him. He's never brought it up again but if he did, we'd answer honestly as we do with everything else that comes up. It will only be "uncomfortable" if you make it so. If they have questions, answer simply and honestly. We had friends there at the same time and they said their kids 7 & 10 either didn't notice at all or didn't comment if they did. Their 14 year old asked that evening if they noticed there were a few gay couples there. They said yes they noticed too. Their son's only comment was that there was a guy in line for POTC who sounded like he was a "Will" from Will and Grace. The only thing very "overt" that we saw was a group of maybe 8 men all with red shirts and Tinkerbelle stuff (pins, hats, red t-shirt with the pic of Tink sitting with her arms crossed that says "spoiled rotten" above it, one wearing a set of wings, one with the wand etc) getting off of IASW as we were getting on...they were singing along and laughing etc. Nothing offensive at all. My 3 year old said "they are being silly!" and giggled. They didn't see it as anything different than when DH was cutting up with Minnie at Chef Mickeys that morning or when he was acting silly with the waiter at Whispering Canyon Cafe.

I'd say don't worry about it. Go and have fun. If you are concerned, look at the schedule for what day Gay Days is scheduled to be in the Magic Kingdom and just plan a different park for that day. I would bet with your kids ages that (at least with the older ones if not all of them) they've seen something on TV with gay characters or have at least heard about those shows from friends. Will and Grace is on in reruns in the afternoon/early evenings now so it's not like it's only in the 9:00 hour on tv. If the kids ask anything it's more likely going to be something that can be answered easily and simply saying something like all families are different or just saying sometimes people fall in love with someone of the same gender. They aren't likely to ask anything that would require a big discussion at Disney like "and how does that make YOU feel" or "and what does the president think about that?" or any in depth questions about their lifestyle. If you feel like you need to discuss anything further with them, you can always offer the simple explanation on vacation and wait till you get home to open up a discussion about anything else.

Hope you have a great time on your vacation!

glass slipper girl said:
:::delurking here...we haven't switched our cable options to showtime yet so I've been popping in to read what's happening on the L-Word! We'll switch towards the end of the season and I'll catch them from OnDemand.:::

My husband and I have been during Gay Days and have been in the Magic Kingdom for the day everyone was scheduled to be there. My kids are 3 and 5. For us, it was a non-issue. We saw no inappropriate PDA on that trip and I'd agree we saw more from hetero couples on other trips than we did from gay/lesbian couples on this trip. Children are very open and accepting. It will only be an issue if you make it one. My youngest didn't comment at all. My 5 year old commented on a gay couple there with their daughter. We were behind them in line and he heard their daughter calling one of them Dad and one Papa. My FIL is Papa to my sons so he said "that girl called him Papa but he's not old enough to be a Papa" (to him Papa = grandfather and these men were both mid 30s). I said "Papa doesn't always have to be a Poppy (my Dad is Poppy so that's his word for Grandfather). It can mean Daddy too." My son said "but she said HE's her Dad." (pointing to the other man) I said "but she has TWO Dads so she must call him Papa so nobody gets confused." The men in front of us smiled and one sort of mouthed "thanks." DS looked back and forth at them and said to the little girl "you've got 2 dads?" she nodded and he says "oh...that's cool." :) He asked later if the girl had 2 Moms too and I said no, that most families have a Mom and a Dad but that sometimes families are a little different. We talked about how the kids 2 doors down live with just their Mom and their Dad lives in another state (divorced) or his friend who has 2 families (parents divorced, both remarried with other kids and they share custody of DSs friend) and explained that in some families there are 2 Mommies or 2 Daddies. Later that day he pointed out 2 women standing with their arms around each other's waist and said "that must be a 2 Mommy family." That was that for him. He's never brought it up again but if he did, we'd answer honestly as we do with everything else that comes up. It will only be "uncomfortable" if you make it so. If they have questions, answer simply and honestly. We had friends there at the same time and they said their kids 7 & 10 either didn't notice at all or didn't comment if they did. Their 14 year old asked that evening if they noticed there were a few gay couples there. They said yes they noticed too. Their son's only comment was that there was a guy in line for POTC who sounded like he was a "Will" from Will and Grace. The only thing very "overt" that we saw was a group of maybe 8 men all with red shirts and Tinkerbelle stuff (pins, hats, red t-shirt with the pic of Tink sitting with her arms crossed that says "spoiled rotten" above it, one wearing a set of wings, one with the wand etc) getting off of IASW as we were getting on...they were singing along and laughing etc. Nothing offensive at all. My 3 year old said "they are being silly!" and giggled. They didn't see it as anything different than when DH was cutting up with Minnie at Chef Mickeys that morning or when he was acting silly with the waiter at Whispering Canyon Cafe.

I'd say don't worry about it. Go and have fun. If you are concerned, look at the schedule for what day Gay Days is scheduled to be in the Magic Kingdom and just plan a different park for that day. I would bet with your kids ages that (at least with the older ones if not all of them) they've seen something on TV with gay characters or have at least heard about those shows from friends. Will and Grace is on in reruns in the afternoon/early evenings now so it's not like it's only in the 9:00 hour on tv. If the kids ask anything it's more likely going to be something that can be answered easily and simply saying something like all families are different or just saying sometimes people fall in love with someone of the same gender. They aren't likely to ask anything that would require a big discussion at Disney like "and how does that make YOU feel" or "and what does the president think about that?" or any in depth questions about their lifestyle. If you feel like you need to discuss anything further with them, you can always offer the simple explanation on vacation and wait till you get home to open up a discussion about anything else.

Hope you have a great time on your vacation!
This is such a lovely post!!!!!

We've been to WDW in '00, '02 and '04 and our first weekend always coincides with the last weekend of Gay Days. We've had our two DS's with us on each trip (who were 6 and 8 last time) and to be quite honest, they are so distracted by a million and one other things going on around them that they are quite oblivious to whether two men or women are holding hands! ;)

It's a non-issue with us and if they were to ask why we'd explain it to them (not that they don't have a basic understanding of what's going on...). But honestly, I've never seen anything shocking...or that would otherwise deserve any "comments".

Now if you want to talk about an irate mother screaming at a bus driver in front of a busload of people...that was a fun one to explain to the kids. (Why is that lady so mad? She's at Disney World for Pete's sake!) Ah, the innocence of youth... :p

DVCLiz said:
This is such a lovely post!!!!!

It really is. Very well said, gsg! Of course, I almost spit soda out my nose at the mental pic of DD asking "What does the president think about it?" :rotfl2:

My DD has grown up around gay couples - both friends and family. She simply understands that some men love men and some women love women. Her only problem with any of it was when she went back to school after one visit with some of my friends and her classmates were telling her she was lying because men couldn't love each other. Luckily, it was just so normal for her that she basically said "Yuh-huh, they can!" and went on with her life.

At the end of the day, I'd bet a dollar that your teens (at least, perhaps the younger ones, too, frankly) already have some idea of what's up. Even if you did see something inappropriate, it's not like you have to explain anything in any more depth than you would if you saw a hetero couple making out like mad. Plus, imho, if you're trying to find a week *without* gay couples at WDW, it's not going to happen....... :rolleyes1

We don't have kids (well Hisselfness does have grandchildren from when he was married). So I don't have a whole lot of experience with them, but because I'm on the executive board for my synagogue I have noticed that things are changing.

I organized a contigent from our synagogue to be in Chicago's gay pride parade last June and was AMAZED at the number of kids who dragged their parents and insisted that they're families participate. Aside from it being the first time that a mainstream synagogue was in the parade, it was delightful to see the diversity of our group and the diversity in the ages of the kids, from teenagers to toddlers. I guess their parents all must have set the tone for the littler ones, who had a blast being in a parade.

It seems to me that kids these days are very open and accepting, and are exposed to a lot more information than I might have been at that age.

I did chuckle regarding the Dad and Papa item in a posting above.

Hisselfness is not Jewish and his grandchildren call him "grand dad," and wanted to know what to call me. He told them that they should call me zeyde, which is Yiddish for grandpa. And which is what I grew up calling my grandfather (when I was young it was sort of a mystery to me why other kids had a grandfather and I had a zeyde). It took a bit of adjusting on my part since "zeyde" conjures up images of an elderly man.

I guess I should be thankful. At least he didn't tell them to call me bubbe!

iankh said:
I guess I should be thankful. At least he didn't tell them to call me bubbe!
Hey Bubbe!! (I love that!) Now you know I'll have to call you that :p : Hey Bubbie! Bubbala Bubbala (sorry...too many episodes of the Nanny)

My partner's 3-year-old grandson call us both Papa (Papa Rick & Papa Steve). We started out as 'grampas' but he changed it to 'papa'.

pezpam said:
It really is. Very well said, gsg! Of course, I almost spit soda out my nose at the mental pic of DD asking "What does the president think about it?" :rotfl2:

:rolleyes1

Who cares what he thinks about anything! Sorry, couldn't resist.

DVCLIZ-very well said
Sometimes lack of knowledge and understanding turns into innocent ignorance

We were concerned about this as we will be there this year the same time, and our concern was more out of fear of the unknown. I have had many co-workers, friends and relatives over the years who are gay and would never judge them any different than straight people.

msdis said:
Who cares what he thinks about anything! Sorry, couldn't resist.

Heehee. Well, not me! It's just that mental picture of her looking up at me and asking that seriously..... it's a picture so far removed from reality that I feel like I should be hurtling through space holding onto a towel and a book that says "Don't Panic" :rotfl2:

Isn't This is the same thread started in the families board on Monday. It was shut down b/c it got to heated. Why is it started again?

I'll stand by my answer "If it bothers you don't go at that time" Never bothered me but if you think you'll have an issue with your kids don't risk it.

BTW that child asking about the Dad and Papa has to one of the most adorable in the world! :rotfl:

alcacael said:

I have never been during gay days but here's my guess: you and your childen will see Disney,characters, people who love each other, other kids , single parent families, handicapped people, foreigners, rude people, and public displays by strait couples and possibly by gay couples.

The older two probably see all of this on a daily basis (maybe not the Disney part) in their schools. I work in a public school and despite the rules the PDA's are there every day. Strait and gay and bi. Not graphic, just hand holding and kisses usually. No public school child will get through school without knowing about this subject.
If you can just roll with it, let them know that all people are different then you will be raising people who can see past the fear of different lifestyles and different people. Your children take their cues from you, if it's "no big deal" to you, it will be no big deal to them.

ECurto said:
I cant... I just cant get into IT AGAIN.

I'm with you. I say all days are GAY DAYS. As all days are straight days. Or bi days or any other days you can think of. You can't relegate love to one day, week, or month. It happens, thank God, every day of every week of every month. WHY IS THIS BEING DISCUSSED?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter