June 27, 2013 - Magic in the Med (Venice)

You can do gondola rides for less $ on your own. You will see stands around on the waters edge with the gondolas lined up like taxis at the airport.

You can do gondola rides for less $ on your own. You will see stands around on the waters edge with the gondolas lined up like taxis at the airport.

A few years ago we had a ride by a 4th generation gondolier.His gondola has been handed down over the generations. He was a great guy who spoke a little English BUT had a great voice and sang as we sailed. People with whom we were traveling were not so lucky.He is located on the main canal just south of St. Mark's Square and his sign reads " Servizio Gondole Danieli" a green and black sign with "Paul & Shark yachling" on the right hand side of the sign. It cost us about 120 Euro for about an hour and it was a wonderful sail and worth every penny.

Funny you say that because I got my Streetwise map of Venice (and Barcelona and Rome) in the mail yesterday, and today's blogpost I made is about just that!

I will say that of all the offerings from my first perusal, the one that appeals to me the most is Doge's Palace for Early Risers - even though it's super expensive, I think it would be an awesome thing to see / do. I may look at it as MY splurge for the trip and leave my DH and boys to sleep in a bit and meet up later in the morning - I will want to see what time it starts to have an idea of whether to book it or not. I know the boys won't be interested and not sure if DH would want to do it with me or not.

So who here is Platinum and when do you get to book? And when you book, after you have your own excursions reserved, would you be willing to check times for some of the other excursions (such as the Doge's Palace for Early Risers)? We had someone on the Greece thread who was able to do that for us and it's been helpful to others in making their plans.

The kids might be interested for you can go over the Bridge of Sighs and down into the cells and prison where they held the people they felt threatened the ruling families. Alot of history and soap opera family history in Venice. It really is pretty interesting and don't miss touring St. Marks next store. FYI there is a Disney store located behind St. Marks' Square somewhere on the way to the Grand Canal. Don't ask me where for we just stumbled across it. One thing to note a large number of store do not let you take photos inside especially the Venician mask shops. They fear they will be copied by the black market or that is what one store owner told me.

Love the graphic Jan! Might just have to use that as a stateroom door decoration. :)

Yay! the rest of the excursions have been uploaded. FINALLY!!!! :cool1:

Travel agent told us we could start booking excursions March 31, but before that she told us April. We've been paid in full for a while now. Does anyone know is 3/31 is the official date for silver CC members?

When I checked the calculation chart it said March 27th. I would call DCL to be sure.

Monsters University premiers on June 21st, and the new Lone Ranger (with Johnny Depp) premiers on Wednesday, July 3rd.

Funny you say that because I got my Streetwise map of Venice (and Barcelona and Rome) in the mail yesterday, and today's blogpost I made is about just that!

I will say that of all the offerings from my first perusal, the one that appeals to me the most is Doge's Palace for Early Risers - even though it's super expensive, I think it would be an awesome thing to see / do. I may look at it as MY splurge for the trip and leave my DH and boys to sleep in a bit and meet up later in the morning - I will want to see what time it starts to have an idea of whether to book it or not. I know the boys won't be interested and not sure if DH would want to do it with me or not.

So who here is Platinum and when do you get to book? And when you book, after you have your own excursions reserved, would you be willing to check times for some of the other excursions (such as the Doge's Palace for Early Risers)? We had someone on the Greece thread who was able to do that for us and it's been helpful to others in making their plans.

Hello all. Check the link below. This is the same tour you will get through the Disney Port Adventure. Look for the Secret Itineraries tour link on the bottom of the page. We did this tour a few years ago. If you feel comfortable taking the vaporetto to St. Marks, you can see the same tour for 20 euros. http://palazzoducale.visitmuve.it/en/home/ here is a link to the vaporetto system: http://www.actv.it/en I hope this helps save a few bucks!

jedipup said:
Hello all. Check the link below. This is the same tour you will get through the Disney Port Adventure. Look for the Secret Itineraries tour link on the bottom of the page. We did this tour a few years ago. If you feel comfortable taking the vaporetto to St. Marks, you can see the same tour for 20 euros. http://palazzoducale.visitmuve.it/en/home/ here is a link to the vaporetto system: http://www.actv.it/en I hope this helps save a few bucks!

Thanks for this. I will have to look at it because I would rather not pay $300 :)

When I checked the calculation chart it said March 27th. I would call DCL to be sure.

I'm silver, and when checking on Disney Cruise Line's website, it says I can start checking in and booking things March 29. Not that I'm booking any shore excursions through Disney. But I'm counting down the days to book Palo and Spa treatments :)

How do you take advantage of the family option?
There is something about if you have 2 adults and at least 1 child that you only have to purchase one full price ticket and the rest at reduced fare:confused3
Not sure if I want to risk showing up with the "wrong" tickets:guilty:

How do you take advantage of the family option?
There is something about if you have 2 adults and at least 1 child that you only have to purchase one full price ticket and the rest at reduced fare:confused3
Not sure if I want to risk showing up with the "wrong" tickets:guilty:

Ok, I figured out an alternative...Wound up buying tickets for the clock tower and the secret itineraries and getting a reduced fare for the combination:banana:

Thanks so much for the link:thumbsup2 It was a huge help !! That's why I love planning with these boards, so many great suggestions:cool1:

PIF. $ Ouch.
Airline ticket booked. $ Ouch
Pre-Post Hotel booked. $ Ouch

Happy to be going though! :goodvibes

I hear ya. But Disney doesn't get my payment until PIF due day if I can't book excursions yet.

LOL, my DH is the same way. We compromised by paying 2 days before the due date to accomodate my anxiety issues, but he would wait until the last possible minute if I let him.

Ricl Steves is appearing at a Travel show in Washington DC on March 9th and 10th.
Anyone interested in going :confused3

Thanks for sharing all the great information about Venice and the possible movie premieres! :cool2:

And thanks to these boards I now have a new kind of anxiety dream. Used to be I had exam dreams, or more recently, race dreams, but now I have cruise anxiety dreams! :rotfl2: I dreamed that we had to get up early for an excursion and I didn't know where we were supposed to eat breakfast and when I looked outside there was a big water spout! :scared1: Thank goodness they will only last a few more months. ;)

LOL, my DH is the same way. We compromised by paying 2 days before the due date to accomodate my anxiety issues, but he would wait until the last possible minute if I let him.

Tom also ! :thumbsup2
:hourglass He says the money can earn interest in our account instead of Disney's :rotfl2:

Tom also ! :thumbsup2
:hourglass He says the money can earn interest in our account instead of Disney's :rotfl2:

Since I pay on a credit card and got 0% with my Disney Visa I have until August to pay the bulk of it off!!! Way to hold on to my money longer!!!!

Hi all!!!

Lots to catch up on:

Through some crazy back and forth, we booked on this cruise. Long story short, we had the mid July Greece cruise booked on opening day, bought a new house, lost my job, owned 2 homes while having no job, got great new job, in the meantime, canceled July cruise, rebooked 4 night Dream with family. On said 4 night Dream, kids convinced me to book Med cruise. House sold, June Greece Med cruise booked, son was convinced by GF to run marathon, so moved from June Greece to June Venice Cruise. Had to convince my DH, he said yes, we PIF'd and here we are!

Whew! So what do I need to know???

I recognize some names and will try very hard to catch up!

PS, I am Platinum, I have some general idea of what I want to book, so lots of studying in the next few hours...lol!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter