June 1-8 good airfare, but "gay days"??

snickerharley said:
This is very disturbing, Disney is all about fun and family (all families). Walt had a vision of acceptance and understanding hence the idea and creation of Epcot and especially World Showcase, all of Disney World for that matter. If you don't feel comfortable or don't agree with Walt's vision maybe you should not vaction in Disney World.
Sorry but this is very upsetting........

Oh please, you have got to be kidding. You dont know what he felt concerning this matter. Everyone is entitled to their beliefs about the matter for whatever reason. I really could get into this in detail as i have reaserched this subject in college and no one has been able to argue against the facts that are out there concerning the life that homosexuals lead and the effects on the Gay, bisexual and heterosexual communities. These arguments are not based on religion but good old scientific facts.

Who are you to tell people that they should not vacation at disney????? If you are not comfortable then dont go at that specific time but to say not to vacation there at all!!!!??????? you have got to be kidding

Why I’m not going to Gay Days this year
By Pete Werner
DIS Founder/Webmaster

“Go get a room”.
That’s exactly what I feel like yelling this time every year as Gay Days descend upon Orlando. I know that during the first week in June, unsuspecting families and otherwise good and reasonable people will, at times, be confronted with images and events they would probably rather not see or experience on their family vacation. These people paid to visit Disney World, but during the first week in June, it looks a lot more like South Beach.

For the record, I’m a 40 year old gay man living in Orlando. I’ve been to Gay Days before, and thought it was a little bit over the top, but always bit my lip – especially here on the site. This year though, it just seems completely out of control, and I wanted to get this off my chest.

I’ve watched over the years as Gay Days has grown in scope and size. What once was a small group of well meaning gay men and lesbians has grown – and in my opinion, deformed – into what is now nothing more than a vile spectacle of self indulgence and indecency.

No matter how prudish that last sentence may sound, trust me – I’m no prude. I have a liberal streak that cuts through me like a hot knife through butter, but I like to think that I was raised with a certain sense of decency and a pretty good sense of right and wrong. There is a time and a place for everything, and Disney World is neither in this instance.

Over the years I have heard about, and have witnessed, what is commonly referred to as PDA (public displays of affection) during gay days, and almost always it’s done in full view of a family, or at least children. I don’t care if you’re straight or gay, there are some things kids don’t need to see – and trust me, two queens frenching outside Cinderella castle is really high on that list.

I can’t help but think of, and feel sorry for – the unsuspecting family who saved for years for a once in a lifetime trip – only to arrive and find that Disney had in fact, been invaded by he-women and shaved down muscle boys. By itself that would not be a problem, but the sheer number of people who seem to go out of their way to rub their sexuality in everyones face during this ‘event’ is nothing short of disgraceful. Is the Magic Kingdom REALLY the place for a 5 year old to ask his father why those two men are kissing? Is it really up to any person to decide for that parent when, or if, they will have that conversation with their child? I’ve always believed the best way we, as gay men and lesbians, could further our cause was to simply live our lives openly, and with dignity. Not hide in shame, and not force our beliefs or lifestyle down anyone elses throat. I don’t like it when I hear pompous windbags telling me I’m going to burn in hell for being gay, and I’m sure most of the free world would appreciate a visit to Disney World that did not include the vision of grown men in go-go shorts, and ads for lubricant prominently displayed throughout the host hotel. Oh, and while we’re on the subject of ‘image’ at the host hotel (the Sheraton World on International Drive)– the line of beer trucks outside the resort was a nice touch, and the liquor kiosks and condom ads every 5 feet will certainly not further the image of us as a bunch of drunken sex fiends.

The argument is often put forth that since Christian groups congregate at Disney World, why not us? Fair enough, except that the ‘Night of Joy’ (the Christian concert that takes place at the Magic Kingdom each year) is a hard ticket event – meaning that it’s not open to the public, and requires separate admission. The Magic Kingdom is closed down to the public at a certain time, and only those people that CHOOSE to be there are allowed in. Families that come to the Magic Kingdom on Gay Days are not afforded the luxury of choice. Since Disney does not sanction the event, it’s not mentioned anywhere, or to anyone booking a reservation during that week. If “Gay Day” at the Magic Kingdom was a hard ticket event like the Night of Joy, sign me up. But it’s not – it’s far from it. Trust me, if a religious group organized 100,000 Christians to go and ‘make yourself known’ in the Magic Kingdom one day a year – and began rubbing their lifestyles in the faces of visitors by preaching to them as they tried to ride Space Mountain – plenty of people would be up in arms.

Then there is the issue of drugs. It is widely known throughout the gay community in Orlando that if you want good drugs and great sex, the first week of June is a great time to visit. So much so, that the Orange County Sheriffs office found it necessary to station deputies and drug sniffing dogs in the lobby of the host hotel. And before the oppression chorus starts warming up, just get real – we all know that it goes on in droves during gay week – and it’s not ‘oppression’ if it’s justified. I don’t mean to imply that every person attending gay days is a drug crazed lunatic – the vast majority are not – but no one in the gay community can deny how pervasive this problem is, and the problem travels with us.

Now, I have to tell you I’m uncomfortable writing this. In the 8 years I’ve had the site, I’ve never used it to espouse my beliefs – political or otherwise, and I doubt seriously I ever will again. But, I know a little something about Disney, and as a gay man – I feel I had something to say on this issue – something that should be said, something that many good, decent and reasonable people feel – but will never openly express for fear of ‘political incorrectness’.

I’m also more than a little fed up. I’m fed up with the world thinking that this is what being gay in America is all about – it’s not. I’m fed up that those of us with some sense of ourselves outside of circuit parties and body building are painted with this tawdry brush. But most of all, I’m fed up with watching a place I love get defiled by the kind of twisted nonsense that routinely takes place during Gay Days. The Magic Kingdom is not the place to make a stand, or to further an agenda. While Disney does not openly promote or discourage the event, I know that many inside the mouse house dread its arrival every year. It’s a political land mine and Disney does their best to walk it very carefully. In my mind, Disney already does it right. I’ve stayed at Disney hotels, sailed on the Disney Cruise Line and probably eaten in every restaurant on Disney property – on both coasts– and done all of it with my male partner. NEVER ONCE was I treated any differently than any other guest – it was a non issue – the way it should be. That’s Disney’s policy and it’s a good one. In return for that, my partner and I act appropriately when we’re in public – the way any couple should – straight or gay.

And before I get any emails from my gay brethren calling me a ‘self loathing aunt tom’ (someone actually called me that once), let me be clear – I’m proud of who and what I am. I just don’t feel the need to force feed it to the world in that way. Disney is a place where reality is suspended, at least for a time. It’s not a place for anyone’s political agenda – right or left. Keep Key West in Key West – and let Disney be Disney.

mommyintn said:
I always think it's odd when this question is asked by someone who is after all just asking a question and then they get charbroiled. Honest question was asked, there was nothing hateful in the OP question, just a question. It seems like tolerance of different views is only applicable when you have a different view that's considered popular. By saying someone shouldn't got to Disney because they asked an honest question is ridiculous. Let's keep it on topic and if you feel like a lively debate post on the community board. People are going to get scared to ask questions around here.

Thank you and well done! I have found that people who claim to be tolerant and open minded, aren't too tolerant when it comes to views they disagree with. The OP did nothing wrong or hatefull and we should just try and get along without all of the drama and the PC nonsense. No names were called or slurs were issued. Some need to lighten up, take a deep breath, and worry about their next vacation or how to get cheap airfare. :)

Disneydreaming6 said:
Just a thought, but if you say that there are more instances of inappropriate behavior reported on "Gay Day" then, could the reports have been made from rude, ignorant and intolerant people who found it necessary to complain to managment. Or, could it just be someone trying to stir up alittle bit of trouble. But anyway. If they are not born that way, then how do you explain that (sorry for the example) little boy who is more feminine then his friends or brothers at the age of 5? Do you think he is choosing to fall in love with other boys at an age when he doesn't even know what it's all about yet? And oh yes, I find it a little more distrubing having to watch women walking around with skirts barely covering their butts, with ****s hanging out, hanging all over some guy practically having sex on a bench then 2 guys or 2 women walking down main street holding hands. The hand holding my children don't notice, but you can be sure they notice the ****s.

Comparing or trying to justify one bad behavior to another is ludicrous! I have been to WDW during "Gay Days" and the problem then or anytime is individuals flaunting themselves in front of children whether it is your women barely covering their butts or the few gays flaunting their life style. It is wrong and inappropriate!!

I am all for tolerance and acceptance. That being said, I must respond to the suggestion that there is nothing particularly out of the ordinary that occurs if you visit during Gay Days. Flame me if you wish, but it's my opinion that there is a significant percentage of the gay (particularly male) population that, for political reasons or otherwise, has adopted an "in your face" attitude with respect to exhibiting evidence of their sexual orientation. I have witnessed several instances where gay men seem to have gone out of their way to kiss/fondle/grope in public areas within Disney so that others may see -- on the monorail, on Main Street, and most notably in my case, in a nightclub at Pleasure Island, where it seemed that there was a unified effort by a group of men clad in leather to do things on tabletops which I did not believe was anatomically possible.

Personally, I don't care for "grandstanding" when it comes to PDAs by heterosexuals, homosexuals, bi-sexuals, or metrosexuals. That being said, if it happens, it happens, and as long as what I see is nothing more than I would be exposed to in a PG movie, I fully acknowledge anyone's right to get their freak on in public. That being said, there are others who feel differently, and I think it's a disservice to tell inquiring people that the only evidence of Gay Days that they are likely to see at Disney will be seeing a lot of people wearing the same color shirt. If overt homosexual behavior is a problem for you, you are likely to see some disconcerting things during your visit. That's not a judgment of the behavior -- just my own opinion about how prevalent it is during that week(end).

I asked this question several weeks ago and got much nicer answers than I am seeing here.
It has been my experience that when any group gets together in mass that things can go wrong. We don't always bring out the best in each other. Teens can be rude, cheerleaders can take over a bathroom.....on and on. I have found that with any large group, if you are not part of that group you may feel uncomfortable and not enjoy yourself. "Gay Days" brings such a large group of people together that not being part of it may make you uncomfortable in the parks. It also seems to me that people going to "Gay Days" are getting together under the banner of their sexuality and that there will be many who behave in a way that should be left in the bedroom. If people got together for "Straight Days" there would be people doing things that should be left in the bedroom. And quite frankly, a few over the top people can make a whole group look bad!

I will be at WDW during "Gay Days" but I will try to avoid the parks where the groups will be gathered in mass. Not because I don't want to see two dads with their kids having a great time at WDW.....but because I don't want to fool with the crowds and because I don't want to have to see the few gay people that want to be rude and give all gay people a bad name.

All this is imo.....but that is what makes America great......we are all allowed our own opinion......even if it isn't just like yours. :)

rejobako said:
I am all for tolerance and acceptance. That being said, I must respond to the suggestion that there is nothing particularly out of the ordinary that occurs if you visit during Gay Days. Flame me if you wish, but it's my opinion that there is a significant percentage of the gay (particularly male) population that, for political reasons or otherwise, has adopted an "in your face" attitude with respect to exhibiting evidence of their sexual orientation. I have witnessed several instances where gay men seem to have gone out of their way to kiss/fondle/grope in public areas within Disney so that others may see -- on the monorail, on Main Street, and most notably in my case, in a nightclub at Pleasure Island, where it seemed that there was a unified effort by a group of men clad in leather to do things on tabletops which I did not believe was anatomically possible.

We unknowingly booked our first family vacation during Gay Days. We witnessed the same "in your face" attitude that you described. I will never, ever go to WDW again during this time.

Unregistered said:
So if you are like me and do not want to see that sort of behavior (because I am sorry they are not "born that way") then I would stay away from the Magic Kingdom.

Wow- I am as straight as an arrow and I can't even beleive that was said!!! :confused3 It is fine to have your opinions about people but that remark was just plain stupid! I beleive I was born straight - therfore someone can be born gay or bi. I think there are people that figure all this out later in life but I definately think people are born a certain way.

By the way I have seen many hetro couples that act disgusting as well as teenagers no matter who you are people are people and there will always be some that act horrific. :furious:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!