June 1-8 good airfare, but "gay days"??

Discussion in 'Welcome to the DIS' started by Ron&BB, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Ron&BB

Ron&BB Earning My Ears

Ok we are straight with a 10 & 14 year old. (boys) I see that June 4th is "Gay Day at MK, fine we won't go to Magic Kingdom that day, is that the only area and date that WDW will be "GAY?". Ron & BB :confused3

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. mdhkitten

mdhkitten <font color=blue>No longer tag free since January

Here is the calendar that I found:

http://www.gaydays.com/calendar/

You just have to look through and see what day is what. It looks like there's several things a day. Hope this helps! :)

4. Brooknwdw

Brooknwdw DIS Veteran

We were there during that time the year before last & I can assure you, "gay days" will not affect your trip. We would not have even known about this if it hadn't been for reading about it on these boards.

Nothing happens, & you will probably be having so much fun with your own family that you won't be studying other people. We had a 5 & 7 year old that year, & we by chance saw several couples but our kids didn't even look at anyone else.

That is a wonderful time to go IMO because it isn't deathly hot yet & its the end of the Flower & Garden Festival, or it was that year. If Airfare is good then I say go for it! :sunny:

HTH & have fun! :wave:

5. eblack0409

eblack0409 DIS Veteran

I have spoken to several people about "gay days" at WDW...I have numerous homosexual friends that attend this every year...it's not sponsored by WDW, but they have all said that people don't even notice them...it's just an opportunity for them to get together and meet new people....my best friend (who happens to be gay) said "It's not like we're all walking around dressed as tinkerbell!!! People are too preoccupied with their own enjoyment..nobody cares!!!

At 10 and 14, I am sure that your kids have some sort of knowledge of homosexuality...it's not a disease, you can't catch it....you are either born that way or you aren't....

I say, GO...have a good time with your family...you probably won't even notice anything!

6. 1000th happy haunt

1000th happy haunt <font color=green>My source is knowledgable, but u

I've been in Disneyland several times during their Gay Day, and except for the myriad red t-shirts it's just another day in the park. No reason to avoid the Magic Kingdom that day, unless you would normally avoid the Magic Kingdom on a Sunday. And definitely don't "not go" if you've found good airfare. Airfare is only going to go up in the short term.

7. maddhatir

maddhatir Disney lovin' Harley gal....or is that Harley lovi

:sad2:

:rotfl2: actually THAT would be fun to see! I guess you have to go to Key West for that!

:thumbsup2

8. snickerharley

snickerharley better be movin' along

What does it matter if you are ther during Gay Days or not, everyone has the right to enjoy Disney and a vacation!

9. tolookaa5

tolookaa5 Mouseketeer

My family and I were there during that time and there was no problem. If you are worried about the crowds go to the website that was posted earlier and check out their schedule and just do something else. It was a great time. Weather great! Crowds bearable! Good Luck!!

10. byoung

byoung <font color=coral>You are keeping us alive<br><br>

Just go and enjoy.

11. Disneydreaming6

Disneydreaming6 Mouseketeer

guess you won't be heading to provincetown mass anytime soon.
    Now, they know how to throw a party. I took my children to the gay parade there one year, talk about fun.

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I hate to be the "bad guy here" however I had to reply to this e-mail. My husband is a cast member at Disney and works in the media area and just so you know there are ALOT of instances and reports of inappropriate behavior and on "Gay Day" at the Magic Kingdom more so than any other day throughout the year. So if you are like me and do not want to see that sort of behavior (because I am sorry they are not "born that way") then I would stay away from the Magic Kingdom.

13. eblack0409

eblack0409 DIS Veteran

If they aren't born that way....then, I guess, you aren't born straight? There are more hate crimes and discrimination against homosexuals than any race out there....why would someone choose this? By saying that someone isn't born homosexual...then you are saying that someone else isn't born heterosexual....it's either all a choice...or not....can't be both ways.....

I have said my peace.....now back to the wonderful world of DISNEY!!!! :mickeyjum

14. maddhatir

maddhatir Disney lovin' Harley gal....or is that Harley lovi

i have a hard time believing there are MORE instances of inappropriate behavior with "gay day" than lets say.. POP Warner or even any of the senior trips!!!?? :rolleyes2

...why are you unregistered??? :confused3

15. Jams421

Jams421 Earning My Ears

:) Go and enjoy, cheap airfare is so hard to find now. it's not like someone is going to turn your kids gay. As for more innaporiate behavior at this time, um I doubt it. That seems like a unfounded stereotype to me. I was on tomorrowland transit authoirty and two teenagers (heterosexual) were engaging in VERY inapporiate behaviors in the car ahead of us. :sad2:

16. Disneydreaming6

Disneydreaming6 Mouseketeer

Just a thought, but if you say that there are more instances of inappropriate behavior reported on "Gay Day" then, could the reports have been made from rude, ignorant and intolerant people who found it necessary to complain to managment. Or, could it just be someone trying to stir up alittle bit of trouble. But anyway. If they are not born that way, then how do you explain that (sorry for the example) little boy who is more feminine then his friends or brothers at the age of 5? Do you think he is choosing to fall in love with other boys at an age when he doesn't even know what it's all about yet? And oh yes, I find it a little more distrubing having to watch women walking around with skirts barely covering their butts, with ****s hanging out, hanging all over some guy practically having *** on a bench then 2 guys or 2 women walking down main street holding hands. The hand holding my children don't notice, but you can be sure they notice the ****s.

17. JerJan

JerJan <font color=blue>I need the sunshine to SURVIVE!<b

FYI...I'm not gay but mt best friend is. In her words, "Do you really think that I would choose this lifestyle to be ridiculed and judged by people ALL THE TIME? I was born this way, I am who I am!"

18. snickerharley

snickerharley better be movin' along

This is very disturbing, Disney is all about fun and family (all families). Walt had a vision of acceptance and understanding hence the idea and creation of Epcot and especially World Showcase, all of Disney World for that matter. If you don't feel comfortable or don't agree with Walt's vision maybe you should not vaction in Disney World.
    Sorry but this is very upsetting........

19. Ron&BB

Ron&BB Earning My Ears

I started this thread,I DON"T care if "Gays" are born that way or whatever!
    I just don't think that "same-*** couples" should "put on a show" in a public place even if they pay to get in.KEEP IT IN THE BEDROOM were it belongs.
    Ron&BB

20. mommyintn

mommyintn DIS Veteran

I always think it's odd when this question is asked by someone who is after all just asking a question and then they get charbroiled. Honest question was asked, there was nothing hateful in the OP question, just a question. It seems like tolerance of different views is only applicable when you have a different view that's considered popular. By saying someone shouldn't got to Disney because they asked an honest question is ridiculous. Let's keep it on topic and if you feel like a lively debate post on the community board. People are going to get scared to ask questions around here.

21. missmun52

missmun52 DIS Veteran

I dont know if you dont want to go during that time because of the crowds or the fact that it is "Gay Day". If it is because of the crowds "gay Day" is said to affect it. The attendance is growing and according to the unoffical guide" it attracts more that 100,000 gays and bisexuals and their family and friends". Because so many people now support homosexuality the attendance is said to grow so it may be larger this year.

Now, if you do not want to go because you dont agree with the pubic diplay of their sexuality then dont. Everyone is entilited to their beliefs and dont let anyone make you feel guilty if you want to LIMIT (you cannot eliminate it but as a parent you must do what you can to protect your children from what you dont want them to be exposed to, regardless of what it is) your childrens exposure to this.

Those who support it wont tell you not to go even if it is very openly displayed because it wound not bother them, but what might not bother them might bother you, as it would me. So you should really make your own decision based on your beliefs and the chance you will take if you do decide you want to go.