June 07 Trip Reviews Part 2

Telynn

DIS Veteran
Hubby and I did have a few meals on our own:

Rosie's All American Cafe - We ordered the Cheeseburger combo - hubby got fries; I got the potatoe salad. The burgers were good (not quite as tasty as the ones from AKL room service) and the french fries were hot. I liked the potatoe salad. It was a cold, vinegar/italian dressing based salad that cut the greasy burger. (It was not like a cold German potatoe salad--no bacon)

Garden View Lounge, Afternoon Tea - Oh my! This was a wonderful afternoon break from the heat! I can't rave enough about the service, surroundings, and the romance of it all!

Hubby and I had advanced reservations for the first sitting of the afternoon. Our server made several suggestions (we had been to the afternoon tea when it was first held at the Rose and Crown in EPCOT so we were familiar with the tea traditions). We chose the "Grand Tea". Being so hot, I did not want the sparkling wine and I elected the sparkling cider instead. (A non-alchoholic option is available for all of the selections offering alchohol--just ask your server.) We chose the Eros tea as Patricia, our server, suggested. (The tea was so wonderful that we brought a container home!)

The finger sandwhiches are delicate and savory. The duck pate with pistachios and dried cranberies was suprisingly delicious. The scone was flakey yet dense. The devonshire cream and raspberry jam made the scone even better!

We also took Patricia's suggestion for each of us to order separate desserts then split them so we could try a little bit of everything--especially the Strawberry Triffle. Hubby got the triffle with 2 spoons; I chose the lemon cream puff swan and chocolate eclair. The eclair was rich, but nothing special unless you had a sip of tea just before trying a bite. The swan pastry was absolutely wonderful! Hubby said he could eat a couple of them by himself. Then we tried the triffle. OMG! This is a not to miss dessert! It is VERY light in texture but rich in flavor--a generous portion to be shared!
(Can you say that this dining event will be on our schedule EVERY time we return to WDW?)

Thanks for your review! I'm trying to talk my DH into going to The Tea with me on our next WDW vacation.

I hope you can talk him into this! It's not fru-fru; it's classic. We loved the break in the afternoon. Hubby was the first to suggest that we keep this as a "Must do" trip event!

The variety of the menu is great and your hubby can have choices other than tea to drink--just ask. (He may even wish to have the children's "tea"--pb and j sandwiches and chocolate milk...:rotfl2: )

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

I loved your review of the tea. DH and I have this scheduled in October and I am really looking forward to it now!! I am glad to hear it isn't too frou-frou as I am not very girly either.

The food all sounds soooo yummy! Could you explain what the tea tasted like?

Thanks for writing a review.... Any pictures?

It's my pleasure to share our experiences with everyone! I learned so much here that I wanted to share!

I do have pictures of the High Tea, but I'm having problems posting. Eventually I'll get them up here.

As for how the tea tasted...hmm...it's a bit difficult to describe in words. The tea we chose (Eros) was not as harsh as Lipton or Red Rose tea. It was softly sweet without adding any sweetener. There was a hint of honeyness and floralness. On the hot summer afternoon, the hot tea was still refreshing--you almost felt the heat and tensions of the day ease away.

My description of the tea does not do it justice! Its flavor complimented the sandwiches and scone--it really made the chocolate eclair pop!

I love the tea also, just had it this past week and saw your post while looking for a place to purchase the tea other than the Grand Floridian. I went back there to purchase some but they weren't open yet and couldn't sell me any and suggested online ordering. What did you pay for the tea at the Tea Room? When I looked at Tealeaves.com, it's a Canadian company and they charge 21.95 for a 2.8oz tin which seems a little steep to me. The previous brands the GVTR carried ran about 13.00 for a 4 oz tin. Does the tin have a web site on it?

Thanks,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter