John Adams miniseries

sjbvan

Earning My Ears
This is completely off topic, but I was so happy to see that the John Adams miniseries got 28 Emmy nominations today. My husband and I watched this when it was on HBO and bought the DVD set when it came out. I have made copies of it for my family and friends who have also enjoyed it. I can not say enough about this wonderful miniseries. It's not light material, but if you are at all interested in American history this is a must see!!! It gives wonderful portraits of the founding fathers of this country and has perked my interest in my own family history yet again. I am already a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution and we can trace our ancestry back to a soldier as well as a signer of the Declaration of Independence and now I am working on my husband's side of the family. It really shows how hard life was in the early days of this country and the sacrifices that were made by those people for the freedoms we enjoy now. There is a quote by John Adams at the end of the show that really sums it all up...

Posterity, you will never know how much it cost the present generation
to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it. If you
do not, I shall repent in heaven that ever I took half the pains to
preserve it."

LOVED this miniseries in our household too. We were glued to it regularly. I'm so glad to see that it was recognized. It was truly an amazing production.

Tom Hanks is making quite a name for himself as a producer.

I really enjoyed this as well.

I felt it has a sense of realism and the production, acting, costumes and sets were fanatastic.

I think Kevin got a little tired of me saying "you know what I learned from the miniseries?" or giving him little factoids about life in the 1700's.

He decided to record the musical 1776 for me - he said he thought I would enjoy it - I think it was payback - I lasted about 10 minutes before I deleted it from TiVO.

John

Also loved the miniseries in our house. Never been a big colonial history buff but this series really got me interested. HAd to run out and buy the book 1776 and saw several others that I will be checking out as well. This series was so well done, from the acting to the writing, everything felt so spot on! Wonderful to see it being recognized!

I agree with John about the realism in the series, there were times I couldn't look at Paul Giamatti as John Adams because of the condition of his teeth!!! But that had to be how it was..and the way people smelled in those days must have just been appalling by our standards..the one scene where they are debating the Declaration of Independence, I wonder if they signed it simply to get out of that room and away from the smell!

I got DH the miniseries for Father's Day. It took forever to get here from the HBO Store and he got so anxious to see it, that he rented it before it arrived. He loved it! I saw the 1st disk, but haven't seen the rest yet. It was captivating.

the upcoming mini on HBO about Iraq is going to be very good as well. Less John Adams, more Ben Franklin

DH loved this series as well. One of the few DVD's that he's run out to buy when it came out instead of renting it from Netflix first! He hadn't even seen it (we don't have HBO) but was basing the purchase on all of the fantastic reviews that he'd heard about it. I've only seen bits and pieces of it as I really have no interest in that kind of stuff usually. What I did see was pretty good though! I'll probably watch the rest of it someday...:)

This is one series that I REALLY wanted to see. Looks like I'll have to go get it on DVD. I'm BIG on Colonial History (what I wanted to major in) and it looked fascinating.

Additionally, I'm STOKED that Pushing Daisies got nominated! It was such a great show. I can't wait for it to come back next season!

My Dh and I are on disc two. I'm getting the series from netflix. So far I have not been disappointed. It is fantastic and the acting in it is amazing. I love how they are playing Jefferson. Dh went to University of Virginia and said he never would have thought of Jefferson like that, Introverted and sullen. does anyone know what else has that actor done?

He decided to record the musical 1776 for me - he said he thought I would enjoy it - I think it was payback - I lasted about 10 minutes before I deleted it from TiVO.

John

Don't take "Sit down, John" personally... ;)

:thumbsup2 Ditto! Loved the series! After I saw it, I went out and bought a book that had a collection of letters written by John and Abigail Adams. It was fun and interesting to read.

DW took me to see 1776 in person. I fell asleep. First time in years I've done that at a musical.

I wish it was available for download on iTunes or Amazon unBox. Guess we'll have to rent it. :)

Stephen Dillane was the actor who played Thomas Jefferson. I agree, I never would have thought that Thomas Jefferson was so quiet, from the books I have read about him, he was quite popular with the ladies, a good dancer and the life of the party, sure doesn't seem that way in this miniseries though. The book John Adams which this is based on is very good too..I just finished it, it fills in some of the pieces of information that I didn't understand, like where were the children for most of his years in Europe? Life certainly was different then is all I can say! DH has an interview in Charlottesville next week and we are all tagging along and going to Monticello on the way back to NJ, it is supposed to be a good look into the life of Thomas Jefferson, we shall see.

Stephen Dillane was the actor who played Thomas Jefferson. I agree, I never would have thought that Thomas Jefferson was so quiet, from the books I have read about him, he was quite popular with the ladies, a good dancer and the life of the party, sure doesn't seem that way in this miniseries though. The book John Adams which this is based on is very good too..I just finished it, it fills in some of the pieces of information that I didn't understand, like where were the children for most of his years in Europe? Life certainly was different then is all I can say! DH has an interview in Charlottesville next week and we are all tagging along and going to Monticello on the way back to NJ, it is supposed to be a good look into the life of Thomas Jefferson, we shall see.

Monticello is beautiful. Take a tour of the university as well. It is a wonderful place to look at. The Lawn if really nice. And if you are a Poe fan you can see where his room was before he was kicked out. I like the Darwin building the gargoyles are faces of animals. Have fun.

I also loved this - I had my kids watch most of it (love TiVo - I can preview and have them watch what I want them to!). I also showed some scenes in my 4th grade classroom, we were just studying the revolution. It was a great way for them to see things like writing the Declaration come to life. On of my favorite scenes was when, after all the arguing and negotiation, they finally approve the Declaration, and there is silence. I'm sure my class expected they would applaud. But the silence drove home the idea of the participant's realization of the enormity of what they were doing and risking.

Tammy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!