Jetstar service

platypus67

Mouseketeer
I've just purchased flights to Honolulu from Brisbane with Jetstar and now I'm questioning my sanity in doing so. I can't find anything but bad reviews. Anyone flown with them on this route? I know it is more likely for complaints rather than favourable reviews to be posted but it would be good to find at least one good one. I've only ever flown them once on a domestic flight and they were nothing special but ok.

Would also be interested in hearing people's reviews
As we are considering doing an Aulani trip and the airfares are pretty cheap with Jetstar.

We had some family members fly to HNL with Jetstar a few years back...and they were not impressed.
Though allot of time has passed since then...and one would certainly hope things have changed.

Anyone???

We just traveled on Jetstar, Melbourne to Honolulu for our Aulani trip in November. (LOOVE Aulani BTW)

The flight was comfortable, nothing amazing. I've had worse. It got us from A to B, and that was the main thing. Crew were nice, the food was meh, but no more meh than other airlines. It wasn't worth paying extra money to fly with Qantas. We went for the Jetstar bundle that gave us checked baggage, meal and Qantas FF points. Worked out cheaper than buying them separately. If you think you may want a meal, select the bundle when you book. There were people who didn't book a meal who missed out. Also, it's cheaper to add checked baggage when you first book than it is to add it later. This is also the case if you want to add extra kgs. (eg from 20kg to 30kg etc).

Overall the flight was pleasant enough. We got return fares for about $750. Qantas and Hawaiian were charging over $1000. I'd fly with them again if the price was cheaper than the other airlines, but I might consider taking my own food to eat, particularly for the flight home. The breakfast burrito (provided by their US caterers) was not great. There are places in the airport where you could have bought better quality food to take on board.

No real inflight entertaining unless you want to rent an iPad. Take your own pre loaded iPad and you are set. I always prefer watching things on my iPad vs a back of seat screen, because the quality is so much better.

Jetstar is the easiest way to get to HNL from Melbourne, so I'd fly them again.

Thanks for your review
Looks like it has not changed

But as you noted it gets you from a to b and if the savings are enough...why not and add a few more days at Aulani

Jetstar is a budget airline. You can't expect it to be as good as full service ones that are more expensive. My main concern is always the safety rating, which is very good for Jetstar. FWIW from September, all international Jetstar flights will be on Dreamliners, which are a nice new comfortable plane.

I would NEVER fly Qantas instead of Jetstar on this route.
However I would always fly Hawaiian over Jetstar on this route.

Once you take into account the extras included in the Hawaiian airfare compared to paying for some of these extras with a Jetstar fare, like baggage (max 40kg as opposed to 64kg on Hawaiian), food, seat allocation etc. Hawaiian is generally not that much more. Further, you can get Economy Comfort for $100 on Hawaiian meaning you have extra legroom and you are right at the front of the plane (the front row 11 is SOOOO good).
Hawaiian use brand new A330s on the routes from Australia.

The one time Jetstar was chosen by one of our group the report back was horrible.

PS. A Dreamliner for the passenger can only be as good as the airline's fitout, aside from an improvement in the air. They were allocated to Jetstar for the fuel efficiency and low need for service. Qantas is taking back its A330s from Jetstar and fitting them out with quality product then charging higher prices using them.

We enjoyed our flight on the Jetstar Dreamliner, was definitely a significant improvement over the older planes. Having said that, it was only a short flight, and it doesn't improve any other aspect of flying with a budget airline. I'd still rather go Qantas for comfort and convenience.

Thanks for the comments. We will be flying in October so will report back re the service. I'm not expecting much, but for $707.00 pp including all the extras (meals, luggage and entertainment) it was too good to pass up. We will be staying at Aulani for three nights so looking forward to it.

I have flown SYD-HNL with Jetstar - We got a really good deal in the take a friend free sale the year we went. Like someone else mentioned safety should be your priority and Jetstar do have a good record, but other than that, it is a no frills airline. I have no complaints about them from my experience and I would fly with them again if it was a really good deal, but this time I am going back with Hawaiian Airlines. The service, entertainment and baggage allowance is worth it to me. I also liked Hawaiian because the check in at the airport when returning home was very easy with minimal wait - Jetstar was queuing forever!

I have just returned from Aulani having flown jetstar. I arrived at the airport to be told the service had been cancelled and I was placed on a qantas flight the next day. Initially jetstar staff refused to provide accommodation at the airport, although after requesting cancellation and a refund they offered accommodation and meals. I lost a day of my holiday.

The Qantas flight was excellent. The Jetstar service when something goes wrong is not good. Long lines, nobody can tell you what is happening, incorrect information and generally all round confusion. The return flight left as scheduled. The plane was comfortable, reasonable leg room and the service ok. I pre ordered meals, the food was standard plane food, fairly tasteless. We arrived back an hour early.....always good long haul.

I booked Jetstar as I had travelled the same route with them the previous year, without hiccup. In future I will pay the extra and fly Qantas. When travelling internationally days are precious and I've realised how accustomed I have become to having decent service on the ground. I was able to check my bag in with Qantas at 1pm on the day of departure for a 7pm flight. If I had been on jetstar I would have had the pleasure of carting my case around the terminal for several hours. At Least I got to sit on the lounge and make up for my lost travel day :-)

I flew Jetstar with my 2 year old and 4 year old to HNL in December. It was fine. I packed food for us and it got us from A to B comfortably. The staff at all points were amazing, always helping me when possible since I was travelling alone with young kids.

We did not stay in HNL, flew on to LA and after a short stopover there, to Toronto!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter