Jessa Duggar (of the Duggar Family) is courting

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by Elinor Dashwood, Sep 16, 2013.

1. handinpocket

handinpocket DIS Veteran

Probably no one reported it. I literally just said the word, "Obama" and it was not political. I figured if I get banned for saying it again, I probably shouldn't be on here period.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. MaryAnnDVC

MaryAnnDVC "Mare", DISing since '99; prefers being tagless

My point way back in the thread was that his mother can "forbid" her son from dating until he graduates from law school all she wants, but that unless he's living at home and she knows exactly where he is at all times, or she's living with him in his dorm and going to all his classes, then in reality she only THINKS she's forbidding him.
    :confused3 Autocorrect issues?
    Thanks for pointing that out. :thumbsup2 I rarely read anyone's signatures.
    That's what bugs me most about the courting thing, with regard to reading the texts. WHY in the world do they not trust their children, after 20 years of raising them so "well"?? Left on their own, do they think Jessa and this kid are going to start sexting each other? Or exactly how restrictive are Michelle and JimBob that they might think the most miniscule comment might be inappropriate? :confused3

You need to say "Nike!" to your DH ;) if an "inappropriately" dressed woman is approaching. IIRC, isn't that what the Duggars say to their boys so the boys know to look down at their sneakers to avoid seeing said inappropriateness?
    :wave: ::yes::
    I just love how Josh, in a radio interview, patted himself on the back for doing business with those who "choose" to live the gay lifestyle, by buying from and selling cars to them. How noble of him to be willing to take their money. :rolleyes:
    Ew ew ew about the bed. :crazy: And no, it's not just you. (And let me say here that you've made some wonderful posts on this thread, but I couldn't quote them all.) JimBob creeps me out when he talks about things like, IIRC from back when I used to watch the show, how Michelle is the aggressor and can't keep her hands off of him. *insert puking smiley here*
    :worship:

4. LiLIrishChick63

LiLIrishChick63 <font color=darkorchid>I must have glitter in my s

yeah the rules around here get a little weird tbh. don't talk about the Duggars religion either or else you'll get points for that, too.

5. LiLIrishChick63

i actually posted his entire comment, and he ended it with a hashtag of #special so honestly...how else are you going to take it? and as others have said...how can you use the term and NOT be talking about special needs children?

if anyone tries to defend him for saying that......:sad2:

6. Southernmiss

Southernmiss <font color=green>I am hazed everyday<br><font col

You know Jim Bob's inappropriate sexual comments and the way they have such a tight rein on their kids and dating make me wonder if he personally has a problem. Maybe he and Michelle have some skeletons they are hiding.

7. BellePrincessBelle

BellePrincessBelle <font color=green>Nothing says Thanksgiving like s

I saw the comment on instagram when it was posted. I enjoy watching the Duggars, but Josh seems to always win the king of the tools award. Clearly & sadly he is just reflecting what he his taught. I much prefer the Bates family. While hold the same religious beliefs, Kelly Bates seems genuinely caring about people.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

8. tigercat

tigercat <font color=magenta>Cook, clean and foot massage.

I am really behind here. What is the meaning of short bus. We have a number of buses that are shorter than the regular ones so I shouldn't say I am behind a short bus???? They are used for a shorter route so they don't need a big bus in that area, so are those kids not suppose to ride in the shorter bus?
    Also, what is a hashtag? What is the meaning of it? I wouldn't even know how to use it in a sentence.
    Since I don't know the meaning of these words to know if Josh is saying something bad or not.
    tigercat

9. Southernmiss

Southernmiss <font color=green>I am hazed everyday<br><font col

Short bus, as you said, is often for smaller routes. In most areas of the US, special needs children are picked up in shorter buses for school. To say someone rides the "short bus" is offensive.

A hashtag is a symbol used in social media known as a tweet.

10. tigercat

tigercat <font color=magenta>Cook, clean and foot massage.

So in reality than to say a short bus isn't really bad unless you are thinking of Special Kids. I don't tweet and know nothing at all about that so hashtag doesn't really mean a lot to me.
    Thanks for letting me know the meaning of these things.
    tigercat

11. crashbb

crashbb DIS Veteran

Given that the quote included the word "special", it was pretty clear that that is the way he was using the term "short bus".

12. chobie

chobie <font color=teal>Fish are friends, not food<br><fo

In reality, the only context which the term "short bus" makes sense, is when referring to the special needs children that ride the short bus to school.

No one, ever, refers to a "short bus," unless they are making a dig about someone. There's no good context for that term.

Well, I guess it's possible the Josh Duggar found a context for that term that wasn't derogatory. Anything is possible...

13. deedeetoo

deedeetoo DIS Veteran

I have never heard that the term short bus referred to special needs kids. As another poster said, our schools have regular buses and short buses. Which you go on depends on how many kids need to be picked up on your route. Being on the short bus doesn't mean anything here.

I never would have understood the comment to be derogatory or to refer to special needs if everyone here hadn't explained it.

14. LiLIrishChick63

The Bates actually have a room where they have a confederate flag hanging with photos of the founding members of the KKK....so i don't think they're as nice and sweet as they make themselves out to be, either.

15. ashley0139

ashley0139 DIS Veteran

:scared1:

16. Sugardimples

Sugardimples DIS Veteran

How do you know this? Just wondering.

17. BellePrincessBelle

BellePrincessBelle <font color=green>Nothing says Thanksgiving like s

Kelly Bates has 2 sisters that are african american...

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

18. pigletgirl

pigletgirl <font color=green>You do have a life. It is just i

Oh please. Anything to get a dig. You are just as judgmental and hateful as they are. Calling the kettle black, perhaps?

19. MaryAnnDVC

MaryAnnDVC "Mare", DISing since '99; prefers being tagless

We have short buses too for kindergarten kids who go half day (short bus one way, regular bus the other way with the rest of the elementary students), but I am also aware of the derogatory nature of the remark, particularly when Josh specifically clarified it with the hashtag "special".
    Re: their "Patriotic room": http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/70224233.html

20. robinb

robinb DIS Veteran

A hashtag is often used as a key word. It either groups the tweet with others with the same hashtag or it is a short hand summary of the rest of the tweet. Tweets can only be up to 117 characters so people try to stuff as much information into those characters as possible.

21. moon

moon DIS Veteran

Wow, just wow...