Jedi, Princesses and Disney Geeks...Oh My!! The Sweet Sixteen go to Disney!6-11 New

Cool! Will you be sharing pictures on your thread?
i will try and remember to upload them

what day are you guys arriving?

if you get there the week of the 13th, then i think we will be at park far onthe same day?

Your ADRS all look great!! :thumbsup2

Thank you! We have been planning where we want to go since our last trip!

i will try and remember to upload them

what day are you guys arriving?

if you get there the week of the 13th, then i think we will be at park far onthe same day?

That would be really cool! We are getting there on the 13th. Maybe we can have a mini DIS meet.

So, anybody use TGM?

Shelley and I thought he gave pretty darn good advice on our 2007 trip. I remember getting all of Fantasyland done (at least the parts we were interested in) in about 2 hours one morning. I can't remember if it was an EMH or not, though.

Anyway, we re-subscribed to his site for this trip...mainly, I admit, for his "Best Park Days" feature. We've been waiting for him to post it for 2010, since Disney had the park hours for June 2010 out about a month ago. We went ahead and made our dining arrangements without them. He finally posted them this week, and yesterday I took a look at them. We actually did a good job of planning things (we're getting pretty good at this, Shelley!;)) except for two mornings. Both of them are EMH mornings - one at the MK and one at DHS.

100_5855.jpg

I know we'll do the MK one, because we have a lunch ADR at the Liberty Tree Tavern. We have no problem getting in there, getting what we want to done, and then getting out because we'll probably hit another park that afternoon, and we'll be back several more times during the evening for parades and a few more rides. But the DHS one worries me. TGM recommends not hitting an EMH if it's a high-traffic season (like June). I know the place gets bottlenecked pretty easily.

100_1032.jpg

But right now, it's the only day we have in our plans to go back there. I know our first day will be mainly taken up with Star Wars stuff - a few little things, like Playhouse Disney and Toy Story Mania if we can score Fastpasses, but that's about it. If we can get what we want to done, and then get out, I think we'll be ok.

So, what do you think? How busy will it actually get? Are we nuts for doing this??? It's the second-to-last-day of our trip...I'm not sure how well we'll deal with throngs of people (more than the usual in summer, anyway). I'd love some opinions on this one!!

Hello from the Great White North!! At least, you'd think it was. The news has been playing crisis music for days. It's starting to get a little old! We did get snow today - probably around 5 inches. (Unfortunately, we also got a snow day, which now has reduced my four-day weekend on President's day to three...NO MORE SNOW DAYS!!! There are drawbacks to teaching in a partly-rural school system...) But seeing as how DH still managed to go to his weekly game tonight, I think it must be ok.

Anyway, after time outside shoveling and playing in the snow with the kids, I decided to warm up by spending some time on the DIS. :surfweb: I was reading another PTR for someone else who'll be there almost the exact same time as us (Glennbo123), and he was talking about buying airfare. It brought back a dilemma we've been having lately - to fly, or to drive???

We own a 2002 Toyota Sienna that will have close to 100,000 miles on it before we take this trip. But we were still planning on driving - something we hadn't done before. But we have a family wedding out in Oregon in August, and ticketing five people twice in one year was just a little more expensive than I wanted to think about. I was starting to actually get a little excited about it - at least, for the ride down. I'm pretty sure the ride back will be a long, long thing - DH and I will be exhausted, and will have to drive the 16-18 hours back just the two of us. But I've been stockpiling little goodies for the kids (has anyone been to Michael's to check out their $1 isle? It's great!), we let my mom get the kids a DS for Christmas (we have PLENTY of electronic stimulation around the house without them, but we knew they'd be good for the amount of traveling we'll be doing this year), and I've been reseaching where to stay and when to hit Atlanta to avoid the worst of the traffic.
(Will in the van almost a year ago...sorry, it was the only "in the van" pic I could find!)
100_2639.jpg

Then...the van's "check engine light" went on in November. And again in December -right before Christmas. To make a long story short, it's definitely had its issues. None of them have been as bad as were first thought, thank heavens, but both had the potential to be major. We did have to drive the 2.5 hours up to my in-law's on Christmas Day in my DH's Saturn Ion, though. :crowded: It's completely fixed now - both problems - but all of the trouble has DH and I wondering about taking it a long distance. DH being himself, he made up a spreadsheet that compared the price of all of the maintenece/troubleshooting he'd want to have done on the car before we left, plus the costs we were counting on to drive (hotel, food, etc.) vs. the cost of airfare. Granted, we had to estimate on the car stuff (and we're really clueless about cars), but it came out to be close to a wash! Not what I'd expected at all. So, we decided that if we can find fares for close to what both our parents have found (around $70 one way), we'd just fly in.
(Haley and Jack during the flight down to our last GG in 2007)
100_5656.jpg

However, at this point, we can't find anything for that price at the times we're looking to leave. I know we're not supposed to be that picky about our times, but our plan was to pull into a value resort somewhere between 12 and 3, and then head to Downtown Disney for some relaxation before our package starts. (We now have issues with staying at aValue resort the night before, too, but that's for another post - this one has already gotten pretty darn long.) So, we're stuck. What do we do? Fly, or drive? We really have to figure this out soon, but I'm doing a lot of waffling right now.

Anyone who'd like to offer advice...I'd appreciate it!! If nothing else, I appreciate you reading my vent! :flower3:

I am leaning more towards telling you to fly since it is about the same cost. The kids will enjoy it more too and less miles on the van. However, if you decide to drive you could always find some "Diners Drive Ins and Dives" to visit along the way. It could be a cool road trip. Tim and I still haven't bought our tickets yet.:sad2: I really want to fly out Sunday morning and get there early enough for Tim to enjoy some of Star Wars weekends.

As for our weather here in northern Indiana I feel like I am on an episode of "Ice Road Truckers". I don't know if anyone watches that show. I think it is on the history channel. Yesterday, we were sent home from school early around 12:30. It normally takes me about 10 minutes to get to work and it took me about 30 so I knew going in it wouldn't be pretty. I shouldn't complain though since it took my DH 2 hours to get to work. Today we had a two hour delay. It is snowing again now. We are lucky :rolleyes: enough to get lake effect snow from Lake Michigan. Which is nasty unpreictable snow. I know it is cold in FL right now but I would take cold over snow any day. Alright, that is my weather vent for today.

Yuck!!! We at least stopped getting snow, and while the roads out towards school are snow-packed, it isn't really icy.

Stay warm and safe!!

Well, we only ended up with about 5 inches of lake effect snow. I was worried we would get the 12 they predicted so I will look at the bright side!:goodvibes

Time for another list! Things I need to get before Disney:

1.Shoes (I am taking my crocs but I will also need some tennis shoes).
2.A new park bag (I am leaning towards the Vera Bradley hipster).
3.DH wants to get more trader pins from Ebay. We did this last time and it was a lot of fun.
4.Plane Tickets!!
5.Sunscreen

DH and I are going on a cruise with my mom, dad, brother and SIL in March. So, with the exception of #3 and #4 I will need those items for the cruise too. I am going to have to start picking some things up for that trip. The good thing is I will be able to use them twice. Last week on the Travel channel they had a Cruise day. All of their shows were about cruising. It got me excited!:cool1: I know a lot about Disney but this will be my DH and my first cruise. It looks like it will be a lot of fun!
:boat::boat::boat::boat::boat::boat:

Just a heads up to anyone who is interested. Michael's has their $1.00 items 60% off. That includes all of their cute Disney themed things. Lots of stocking stuffer type items. They could be good Disney bag items or Easter basket filler. I got some things for my classroom treasure chest. :goodvibes:thumbsup2

The eternal question....drive or fly. :rotfl:

I think my DH and I will be driving down next time we go to Disney together. I've done it twice before pre-DH but it isn't fun. Not for me at least but it is cheaper especially when you have a family to buy tickets for.

I say monitor the price of flights for a bit longer and see what you can snag. I know that I check the prices everyday because most times they seem to flucuate daily.

Our ADR is for 6, so hopefully we'll catch you! Maybe our little guys can meet up, since they're so close in age! :goodvibes
that would be cool, i keep forgeting to check my Adr sheet, we can talk about it more when it gets closer, i forget things very easy, it will be a goodreminder for me.
:thumbsup2
Just a heads up to anyone who is interested. Michael's has their $1.00 items 60% off. That includes all of their cute Disney themed things. Lots of stocking stuffer type items. They could be good Disney bag items or Easter basket filler. I got some things for my classroom treasure chest. :goodvibes:thumbsup2
is that still going on, or was it jsut a one day thing?

it is at 5 i just found my paper.

so we will prob still be eating when you show up.

that would be cool, i keep forgeting to check my Adr sheet, we can talk about it more when it gets closer, i forget things very easy, it will be a goodreminder for me.
:thumbsup2

is that still going on, or was it jsut a one day thing?

I think it will be on until the stuff is gone since they are trying to make room for new displays. (I went to the one in Valpo, but I am sure other stores are marking things down too).

Cool! We will look for you. We might be easy to spot since we will be in a group of 16.

The eternal question....drive or fly. :rotfl:

I think my DH and I will be driving down next time we go to Disney together. I've done it twice before pre-DH but it isn't fun. Not for me at least but it is cheaper especially when you have a family to buy tickets for.

I say monitor the price of flights for a bit longer and see what you can snag. I know that I check the prices everyday because most times they seem to flucuate daily.

No luck on deals yet...still checking, though...:surfweb: Thanks for chiming in, though - it helps to hear other peoples' take on it!! As you can probably tell, I work through things better when I talk about them. :laughing:

Good - we'll definitely have to talk about it as it comes closer! I'd love to see Parker if Candi find him a Prince Charming outfit!

Oooh - gotta go hit Michael's after my hair appt. tomorrow!!! Thanks for the tip, Shelley!

I think it will be on until the stuff is gone since they are trying to make room for new displays. (I went to the one in Valpo, but I am sure other stores are marking things down too).

Cool! We will look for you. We might be easy to spot since we will be in a group of 16.
the one inour town still had the stuff, but not a ton of good t hings left, we did get some decent disney stuff though for him.

group of 16 i might avoid you on purpose.
:laughing:

just kidding, i am terrible with faces, so you might have a better shot of finding us.

i can meet someone and then the next day have no clue who they are.

:sad2:
Good - we'll definitely have to talk about it as it comes closer! I'd love to see Parker if Candi find him a Prince Charming outfit!
she is on the look out for one, she really wants to find something, one of his little girlfriendds is having a princess birthday party in a few weeks, and she wants him to go as prince charming but we hvae not found anything yet

I am really looking forward to this trip!:goodvibes With January's cold weather and my on going sinus problems Disney is looking better than ever. So, here are some cute things to make to make your Disney trip even more memorable:

This site has some neat things:

Wendypooh's Shared Files

Disney "Nuggets" and Pez figures to make.

Crafty Candy

The Mouseforless has tons of printable items:
Disney Printables

Some random pictures from Epcot. I love taking pictures at World Showcase. There is so much to look at there.

DSC03722-1.jpg

Time for some tea.

DSC03802.jpg

The Morocco pavilion is a lot of fun to explore. There are all kinds of nooks and crannies.

DSC03733-1.jpg

I think the Germany pavilion is really pretty.

DSC03669.jpg

This was in Mexico. I wish I could remember how much this was because I know it was pricey.

DSC03668.jpg

These were also expensive.

DSC03871.jpg

This was the Beatles cover band "The British Invasion". They were really good. I thought I heard that they aren't singing there anymore.

DSC03873.jpg

The bunnies are really cute. I love the book "Guess How Much I Love You".

DSC03686.jpg

I want to get a sweet almond pretzel from here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter