Jedi Academy - Tips & Highlights

Just sharing my experience :) We went in early December, and went to the Jedi Academy our first day (in case my son didn't get picked, I wanted to have another chance to go back)
We arrived about 30(?) min early, grabbed lunch from the Tomorrowland Terrace and sat on the ground right behind the line, just slightly right of center and ate our lunch. I prepped my son (who was wearing a Darth Vader shirt and not holding a sign) how to jump up and down, wave his arms, etc. Another parent was right next to us telling his kids the same thing :) After lunch, my DH sat with my son (and DD, who wanted to watch, but not participate) and I snuck out to the side of the viewing area to watch and video.

Jedi Master picked mainly from the left side of the audience, but did eventually get around to the right and picked my son! There were a couple groups of 2-3 kids who got picked together, mostly 5-8 year olds I'd say, but a couple older and a couple younger. Only a couple kids had signs, and yes - they did get chosen.

My son loved it! The highlight of his trip!! He got to go up on stage and fight Darth Vader. I thought the stage "show" was really cool, with the moving platform and the Stormtroopers. Lots of fun, I'm so glad he got chosen!

We have stopped at Jedi Training Academy 4 times (in the past 4 years we've been there) and every single time they have picked my son and the last time my daughter was ready to fight Darth Vader so she also stood up and got picked too. We've been lucky I guess. My kids are shy and have done nothing special to get noticed...regular clothes, no signs and no jumping up and down so really I have no idea why they would pick some and not others. I've seen kids with big signs and jumping up and down not get picked so who knows how they decide.
Oh and we didn't even show up early either so that's not a necessary guarantee either.
Also my daughter was 3 (almost 4 when she was picked) and I only remember one other younger kid being chosen (as young as her anyways)...the other girl got too scared of Darth Vader and my daughter who was also nervous I could tell was trying to make the girl feel better saying "it's ok, it's just a costume remember" lol. The other girl still left though without fighting Vader lol. My son and daughter were also picked for opposite sides of the Training Academy so no pictures together :(

My son confirmed he does want to do this again for his birthday (12th) on our the next trip. He and youngest daughter (4 at the time) got chosen on his 9th birthday and it was so much fun to watch.
He covered himself in the buttons we'd collected and that got the attention of the Jedi.
We'll do signs again this time and he's already coached his other two sisters on how jumping up and down can help. He's really tall (5'7") so I'm hoping that they won't not pick him because he looks too old.

Since we have four children, maybe we shouldn't all sit together? I'm doubtful they would pick all of the kids in the same group. Since it will be my son's actual birthday, we're going to be wearing our matching Disneyland shirts, so it will be obvious that we're in the same family.

What do you think?

On our first trip we went through three sessions and they weren't picked! I even chatted up a CM after the first two snubs. It almost ruined the trip (the kids were only 6 and 4yrs old at the time). They were pretty upset.

Once I read about the T-Shirts on here, we have done JTA 4 times in a row and they were picked every time while wearing Star Wars shirts. No jumping, no signs...just Star Wars shirts.

My daughter has been picked every time we have gone. 4 times in the last year with no sign and no special clothing. This last time she was the oldest and tallest, almost 11 yrs old.

Here are some tips to help get your kids picked:

-make a sign. I reccomend an 8 1/2 by 11 paper for it
-Wear Star Wars and/or bright Shirts. The Jedi master may find it easier to pick kids with bright shirts
-Have your kids be enthusiastic.

I love the Jedi Training Academy. One time, the Jedi Master was leaving and he said to me "May the force be with you"

Hey everyone....I see it's been a while since anything was posted here. We are planning our first trip to Disneyland this October, so I'm doing some major research on the boards. I have two boys ages 6 and 7 who are die hard Star Wars fans. This would be our first attempt to do the Jedi Training Academy. Are Star Wars shirts and signs still the best bet for trying to get picked? Will they pick both of my kids if they are standing together? I can't imagine a worse scenario than one of them being chosen and not the other....

Will they pick both of my kids if they are standing together? I can't imagine a worse scenario than one of them being chosen and not the other....

When we were there last summer, we had to do 2 rounds of Jedi Training because DD got picked and DS didn't and was quite upset. It seemed like the Jedi master was purposely choosing kids who were not sitting next to eachother. So, for the second round, DH and I sat in between the kids and told DD not to volunteer because if DS didn't get picked, we would just leave and do something else. Finally, DS got picked, so we let DD stand up and she got picked almost immediately.

I thought I read somewhere that it's now a registration process for the kids at the kiosk at the Star Wars Launch bay. Anyone been recently?

Definitely search for some newer threads on this. They moved to a registration system late last year. We were there in January and the registration process was very smooth (EMH at CA and then hopped to DL around rope drop to register). We had our pick of any show. Now that the registration process is probably more well-known, however, it might fill up faster.

At rope drop, we went to the Star Wars launch bay, near the exit is a ramp that has the registration area for the Jedi training. You get your pick of which time you want. They have you come back about a half hour before it starts, to get dressed, ready, etc. There's a photo pass photographer there also.

The sign ups were all full by 11 am for all the shows on the day that we went.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter