January 2009. . . Calling all Snowbirds ~ Part V

Hey everyone! I can't wait to hear from all of our returning Snowbirds. It just gets me more and more excited! I hope that you all had a wonderful time! I wanted to let everyone know that I finally found mini M&M's! I went to Toys R Us (thanks for that tip ladies!) and bought 3 smaller sized ones. I think that should be enough. If we see a pressed penny machine, we'll go over and do it. I don't really feel like hunting for them! Although, I may print out the list of them from parkpennies.com. It's quite a list! I think I've now bought everything we need for the trip. When I go grocery shopping next week, I'll pick up some more snacks (have to see how many I go through making DD's lunches this week!). 11 days!:banana:

Non-Disney question: Do any of your kids have problems with nightmares? Keaton (the 2 1/2 yr old) has woken up crying about 5 out of the last 8 nights. This morning, the first thing he said when I went in his room was "Dinosaurs get me." I guess I thought that was too young? He goes right back to sleep when I put him in our bed. Am I being manipulated or could he really be having nightmares? BTW: I'm going matress shopping today to get him a big boy bed so I'll have somewhere to sleep!!

We went through a rought time when our DS was about 2-4. NIGHT TERRORS! They're horrible. He never remembered them and you couldn't wake him during them. You just had to hold on to him to keep him from wandering around and hurting himself. He didn't have them every night. I don't think Keaton is too young to be having them, so I don't think you're being maniuplated.

Question for all the mom Snowbirds...
I've read some things about child safety while on vacation. Of course hubby and I will be super vigilant to keep our eyes on the kiddos- we're good parents- but you never know in a crowded situation. Things happen. Do any of you put some sort of ID/parents cell phone # on your kids in case they become separated? If so how? dh suggested a Sharpie. I don't know how I feel about writing on my kids with a Sharpie. :rotfl:

We have these cool things that velcro on his laces on his shoes. Whos Shoes ID is what they are called. We put our names inside, along with our cell phone numbers. Don't have to worry about them falling off. Of course, if they don't wear tennis shoes, they won't help. The sad thing is, what really worked to reinforce to our son the need to always hold our hand was walking into the MK and hearing and seeing parents calling and looking for their lost child. They found him - but it terrified our son!

now... we try to lose them...... just kidding.... we have such a wonderful time traveling with them... we are very fortunate our kids like to spend time with us still... I know when I was a teenager I couldn't wait to get away from my parents...:confused3 :rotfl2:

:lmao: :lmao:

Thanks for asking! It is an acrylic painting that my daughter painted a couple of years ago. It is from the perspective of when you are standing near the entrance to the Living Seas in EPCOT, with a closeup of the bautiful flowers and the monorail and the ball in the background. It is one of my favorite paintings.

The painting is BEAUTIFUL!

Hey everyone! I can't wait to hear from all of our returning Snowbirds. It just gets me more and more excited! I hope that you all had a wonderful time! I wanted to let everyone know that I finally found mini M&M's! I went to Toys R Us (thanks for that tip ladies!) and bought 3 smaller sized ones. I think that should be enough. If we see a pressed penny machine, we'll go over and do it. I don't really feel like hunting for them! Although, I may print out the list of them from parkpennies.com. It's quite a list! I think I've now bought everything we need for the trip. When I go grocery shopping next week, I'll pick up some more snacks (have to see how many I go through making DD's lunches this week!). 11 days!:banana:

Believe me, you'll have no problem finding the machines. By the end of the week - they'll be finding you! :lmao:

Okay to answer the QOTD: Yes and I'm doing it this trip...I have half a duffle bag set aside just for souvie clothes from my trip LOL!!!!!

As far as my must buys...a jacket/hoodie, a t-shirt, a snowglobe, and a Christmas Ornament!!!

Here is my list of things to buy: Mickey watch (my old one broke and cannot be repaired), Mickey cookie cutter, 2009 Christmas Ornaments, A hoody sweater, and a couple of t-shirts! :yay:

Here's a question...Has anyone purposely underpacked with the intention of buying "souvenir" clothing to wear while at WDW? My Dh is actually encouraging me to do this! I was never a girl scout but I do like to be prepared. I am a classic overpacker! I have been trying to pack less for this trip, but with the unpredictable weather, I am just a bit unsure! :confused3

Here is my list of things to buy: Mickey watch (my old one broke and cannot be repaired), Mickey cookie cutter, 2009 Christmas Ornaments, A hoody sweater, and a couple of t-shirts! :yay:

Here's a question...Has anyone purposely underpacked with the intention of buying "souvenir" clothing to wear while at WDW? My Dh is actually encouraging me to do this! I was never a girl scout but I do like to be prepared. I am a classic overpacker! I have been trying to pack less for this trip, but with the unpredictable weather, I am just a bit unsure! :confused3

Yes, in fact I intend to do it this time too. I am packing one less sweatshirt so I can buy one. I don't anticipate buying t-shirts this year since I have 4 new ones, two of which I will wear at the parks. I'm hoping that since I'm planning to do laundry, I will pack less.

as far as the little kids go.... what we always did with our kids was stick in their pocket an index card with our names and phone numbers on it... we also would tell them if they get lost to just stop and sit down and we would find them. They shouldn't walk around trying to find us. Luckily we never lost them... but it always made me feel better....
We started talking about this last night, and my daughter started freaking out at the possibility. I was showing her a cast member name tag on the Disney vacation video, and told her if she ever couldn't find us, that she should go to someone with a nametag like that. Then I told her she'll have to memorize our phone numbers, or carry a piece of paper with them and call us. We'll get into those details during the drive and when we get there, I think. For DS, he'll definitely have a laminated card in his pocket at all times, or something small tied to his shoe, since he has an Autism Disorder, he won't know what to do without us. I think we're going to work really hard to hang onto both of them at all times!
Lil'Mermaid75 said:
We have these cool things that velcro on his laces on his shoes. Whos Shoes ID is what they are called. We put our names inside, along with our cell phone numbers. Don't have to worry about them falling off. Of course, if they don't wear tennis shoes, they won't help. The sad thing is, what really worked to reinforce to our son the need to always hold our hand was walking into the MK and hearing and seeing parents calling and looking for their lost child. They found him - but it terrified our son!

I'm not sure the pocket idea will work for us. Some of my kids pants don't have pockets and I'm not sure my 22 months old wold keep it in there anyway. She's mainly the one I'm worried about- she's a known wanderer and has no fear so we're going to have to keep an extra close eye on her or keep her buckled in stroller 24/7.
I looked up the Who's shoes and they look exactly like what I need! Both my kids wear velcro shoes but I wonder if I can get them in time for our trip now! Perhaps I can make something that will work?
I know I sound like a paranoid mother but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Thanks for asking! It is an acrylic painting that my daughter painted a couple of years ago. It is from the perspective of when you are standing near the entrance to the Living Seas in EPCOT, with a closeup of the bautiful flowers and the monorail and the ball in the background. It is one of my favorite paintings.
Absolutely beautiful!!!! What a talent!

I'm only packing one hooded sweatshirt so I can buy one! :rolleyes1

I love that pic of the castle!!!! I can't wait to see it in person next week!

We're driving too. Leaving 4am on the 23rd and checking in on the 24th!

Sorry to hear about the sick little snowbirdies. The pukes are going around in my area too. I'm keeping the kids in, avoiding playdates and germy public stuff like the train table at the library, and making them wash hands more than they like. I'm making my little daycare wash hers as soon as she comes in and 50 times a day- thank goodness she's part time- fewer days to share germs! We're taking our vitamins too. Both my kids still have a little leftover sniffle but I'm just hoping to avoid the stomach bug. We had it around Thanksgiving so hopefully we built up some immunity to it or something.

Meghan I hope you find a mini m&m tube soon. I got mine at Toys R US- small ones.

Thanks for the tip about washing mugs. I didn't know CBR switched to real glasses. I still have disposable Dawn dishwasher things from our last trip that we'll use to wash our mugs with.

I haven't explained what a LGMH is to my dh yet. I made mine and attached it to my backpack today. I used the luggage tags they sent us- we're driving so won't need them for the real purpose. One side is the luggage tag and the other side I tucked in my LGMH. I'll post a pic hopefully tomorrow.

Nighty night Snowbirds! Sweet Disney dreams!

I did the exact same thing with my LGMH/ luggage tag. I thought I was being so clever. I'm going to make one for the stroller as well.

I did the exact same thing with my LGMH/ luggage tag. I thought I was being so clever. I'm going to make one for the stroller as well.

I did a dumb thing. I cut them out and glued two together back to back and laminated it. Forgot to put my username or snowbirds on it!! might have to do it again.

Believe me, you'll have no problem finding the machines. By the end of the week - they'll be finding you! :lmao:

Really? In all my trips to WDW, I've never even seen one, EVER!!!! I guess I was never really looking for them.

I did a dumb thing. I cut them out and glued two together back to back and laminated it. Forgot to put my username or snowbirds on it!! might have to do it again.

I'm glad I picked up a tons of LGMH's. I messed up a million times and ended up with only one good tag. Oh well! Now, I just need to get some string or a key ring so I can attach it to my bag.

I've been wondering about the picture/painting in your siggie for a long time. What's the story with it? It's absolutely beautiful!!!

Thank you for your kind words about my art! Sorry I haven't been around for a while here. Disney World is one of my favorite subject matters. I am planning on co-majoring in art. I had an awesome time in Disney World! I'm looking through my pictures now, hopefully something will be inspiring for another painting! :cool1:

Thank you for your kind words about my art! Sorry I haven't been around for a while here. Disney World is one of my favorite subject matters. I am planning on co-majoring in art. I had an awesome time in Disney World! I'm looking through my pictures now, hopefully something will be inspiring for another painting! :cool1:

Welcome back! :goodvibes You are very talented!

Your picture is absolutely beautiful! I wish I had artistic talent. Well, I have the dancing artistic talent!

Some very exciting news! My MIL called last night to let me know that my niece (18) is going to be able to join us for the trip! DH and I are soooo excited because my SIL keeps my niece VERY sheltered (no drivers license, not jobs, missed 1st year of college) and we hardly ever get to see her. In fact, we are shocked she's even allowing her to go. We won't tell my kids, so when my MIL pulls in the driveway next Tuesday with my niece my kids will flip out!!! The bonus is that we were able to add her to our ressie and all our ADRs without having to change a thing. DH and I are going to pick up the extra cost as a belated graduation gift since our other gift was rather boring(luggage and a book) since she wasn't going off to college right away and I didn't know what to get her. This is going to be so much fun!!!:woohoo:

On another note, I was able to find that cute pink wallet on clearance at my Target - perfect. This was after I locked my keys in my van (which I have never done before) and had to call a locksmith! So embarrassing.

I'm not sure the pocket idea will work for us. Some of my kids pants don't have pockets and I'm not sure my 22 months old wold keep it in there anyway. She's mainly the one I'm worried about- she's a known wanderer and has no fear so we're going to have to keep an extra close eye on her or keep her buckled in stroller 24/7.
I looked up the Who's shoes and they look exactly like what I need! Both my kids wear velcro shoes but I wonder if I can get them in time for our trip now! Perhaps I can make something that will work?
I know I sound like a paranoid mother but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I have what might sound like a strange suggestion...if you go to somewhere like Wal-Mart you can get dog tags engraved with your name and phone # on them. Get the ones with the ring and then you can attach it to the loop that your velcro lace-thingy goes through. It doesn't cost alot of $$ and they are pretty sturdy so I doubt they would get broken or lost. Just my strange suggestion :confused3

:rotfl2: with you... not at you!
I have what might sound like a strange suggestion...if you go to somewhere like Wal-Mart you can get dog tags engraved with your name and phone # on them. Get the ones with the ring and then you can attach it to the loop that your velcro lace-thingy goes through. It doesn't cost alot of $$ and they are pretty sturdy so I doubt they would get broken or lost. Just my strange suggestion :confused3

Not strange at all! Great idea! I can put the cell phone # on it and that's all they need!

Am I crazy in thinking I remembered the LGMH to actually be just the head, not the white "frame" thing around them? I had them pictured in my head as a bit bigger and JUST a MH cutout...am I crazy? Did I totally just make that up in my head??

I hope you'll share it with us!
I've heard others suggest this as well.
Am I crazy in thinking I remembered the LGMH to actually be just the head, not the white "frame" thing around them? I had them pictured in my head as a bit bigger and JUST a MH cutout...am I crazy? Did I totally just make that up in my head??

No, you're not crazy. I always thought they'd be bigger too. I suppose you could make your own bigger ones, like from a DISign, but that would be more work and ink from your printer. I'm trying to figure out if I can still write on mine even though they are laminated. I really wanted to put my DIS name on them so people would know it's me.

Morning Snowbirds!!!!! I can't believe my ticker...someone pinch me!

Question for all the mom Snowbirds...
I've read some things about child safety while on vacation. Of course hubby and I will be super vigilant to keep our eyes on the kiddos- we're good parents- but you never know in a crowded situation. Things happen. Do any of you put some sort of ID/parents cell phone # on your kids in case they become separated? If so how? dh suggested a Sharpie. I don't know how I feel about writing on my kids with a Sharpie. :rotfl:

FOR ALL SNOWBIRDS WITH CHILDREN...
One great tip from a co-worker...EVERY morning before going to your park, take a picture of your children with your digital camera. In case " you" get lost from your children, you have a picture of what they are wearing that day to show CM's. The kids love posing for pictures, so they are none the wiser!
I also take a picture of my photopass card incase I lose it...

Just went to Cabela's tonight and by DD12 and myself some Mary Jane crocs..on sale for $19.88:banana: love the bargins!

Printed off the pressed penny locations to bring home for the DD's to cross off their already found press pennies....and they can't find them!:scared1: NICE..they have 6 days to search.

I'm checking my list twice and reviewing my tioletries and meds...this ear infection better be GONE by the time I fly. I feel like taking a knife and cutting my left side of my head off!

Just a bit more and I'm off to bed for the night...I need my rest!

Shelly, enjoy the sunshine. Appleton is having -9 tomorrow!
:dance3: 7 more days...:dance3: :dance3:

What is the name on the LGMH card? I have a bunch of different colors and I'm not sure which one it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter