January 15th-20th, 2017 Western Caribbean -Disney Magic

TaraG7210

Earning My Ears
Hello,

Is anyone else going on the five day Western Caribbean cruise from Miami on the Disney Magic? This will be our first cruise. It will be me, DH, my mother, our son who will turn five aboard (this is his birthday present!), and our daughter who will be 18 months at departure. We will be staying on Deck 8.

We are interested in doing Fish Extenders.

One year until we cruise!

Hello,

Is anyone else going on the five day Western Caribbean cruise from Miami on the Disney Magic? This will be our first cruise. It will be me, DH, my mother, our son who will turn five aboard (this is his birthday present!), and our daughter who will be 18 months at departure. We will be staying on Deck 8.

Are you looking to make this your Cruise Meet thread? You need to copy the URL at the top of the thread, and then post a request on the "Find your 2017 Magic Cruise Meet LINK here" thread asking to have the link added to the list in the first post. That way, it's easier for others on your cruise to find this thread. Be sure to past the copied URL into the request post.

Thank you. I guess I will. I've been lurking for awhile and I thought there would be more people who are experienced posting by now....but I guess not.

Yes, my family is going. Right now we have 4 rooms booked - 1 for my family (3 kids - ages will be 10, 7, and 3), 1 connecting for my parents, and 2 others rooms for my brother/his wife, and my sister/her husband. My cousin, her husband, son, and her parents will also be booking 2 rooms soon. We are staying on deck 6, deluxe family oceanview.

This will be my second DCL cruise. Last August I went on the Dream with my in-laws and we loved it! The kids wanted to do another DCL cruise so now it's the Magic with my side of the family.

We did do FE last time but I am still debating for this cruise. It was a lot of work and took up an entire suitcase. Since there will be so many of us, we won't have much room for extra bags in the shuttles to the airport and hotels. I may just hang out FE's out and put some stuff in for my kids myself.

Thanks for the insight into the possible downsides of the FE. Do you have any other tips to share for someone who has never done a DCL (or any cruise) before?

Hi everyone. We just booked this cruise while on the Fantasy and this will be our 4th cruise. The FE is a lot of work but boy the stuff people think of is astonishing. One of my tips....pack less. I always find that I wear something more than once because between the water activities and other fun filled events, you really aren't in the same clothes very long. I look forward to meeting everyone :)
Sandy

Here are some of my tips:
1. Go through the Daily Navigator every night to figure out what activities you want to do the next day.
2. Download the app. I used it more than the paper navigator and I communicated with other people in my travel party through the chat feature.
3. The servers in the dining rooms are amazing. They really get to know you and are willing to accommodate food requests so don't by afraid to ask.
4. The concessions for the shows are not free so bring snacks from elsewhere on the ship with you.
5. My boys loved the kids club on the Dream and they are so excited for the Marvel Avengers Academy on the Magic. Pre-register for the kids' club online and take your son through the open house the first day.

I know I have more but I can't think of any right now. I'll post more as I think of them.

As for FE's, they can be a lot of work but they are fun. My FE group facebook page is still active and I have facebook-friended some of the people outside of the group as well. We had a great group and we got some great stuff.

Hi everyone, We will be sailing on the Magic for our 2nd time on 1/15 and would love to do the fish extenders. I realize we have some time before we sail but I would love to get a feel for everyone who want to exchange small gits. I did not know about this on our first cruise and the ladies that were in the cabin next to ours were nice enough to share there gifts with my daughter.

Hello,

Hello,

Hello,

Hello,

Here are some of my tips:
1. Go through the Daily Navigator every night to figure out what activities you want to do the next day.
2. Download the app. I used it more than the paper navigator and I communicated with other people in my travel party through the chat feature.
3. The servers in the dining rooms are amazing. They really get to know you and are willing to accommodate food requests so don't by afraid to ask.
4. The concessions for the shows are not free so bring snacks from elsewhere on the ship with you.
5. My boys loved the kids club on the Dream and they are so excited for the Marvel Avengers Academy on the Magic. Pre-register for the kids' club online and take your son through the open house the first day.

I know I have more but I can't think of any right now. I'll post more as I think of them.

As for FE's, they can be a lot of work but they are fun. My FE group facebook page is still active and I have facebook-friended some of the people outside of the group as well. We had a great group and we got some great stuff.

Hi everyone, We will be sailing on the Magic for our 2nd time on 1/15 and would love to do the fish extenders. I realize we have some time before we sail but I would love to get a feel for everyone who want to exchange small gits. I did not know about this on our first cruise and the ladies that were in the cabin next to ours were nice enough to share there gifts with my daughter.

OK, it looks like there are a few of you interested in a Fish Extender exchange. Here's a little "how to":
SETTING UP A FE GROUP

It appears there are a number of you who are interested in a Fish Extender group. There isn't one currently set up here on DISboards. Here's a little write up on how FE groups are set up:

There really are no "rules" as to how a FE program runs. Basically someone maintains the list of those who wish to participate. The group can decide on what information is necessary to produce FE gifts. A basic list may only have DISname/room number/number of people in the room. A more involved list could be first & last names/ages/room number/favorite character/favorite color/allergies/whatever is deemed necessary to know in order to create the gifts. Also a decision can be made as to size of FE. Some groups break out the list(s) at 10-15 rooms max, so that there are multiple lists (and some people will participate in more than one list). Other groups just make one big list (upwards of 20-30 rooms).

At some point the list will "close". Typically this happens 30-45 days out from the cruise, so that everyone participating has time to organize/prepare their gifts. Shortly before this time (about 2-3 weeks prior) the organizer will either post the list (usually via a conversation is best, as that's more private), or directly on the Cruise Meet thread, to confirm everyone on it is still participating. It’s important to make a statement about"anyone not confirming by XX date will be dropped"at this time. A little harsh, yes, but often there are people who will post on the cruise meet thread as soon as the reserve the cruise and say “I want to participate”, and are never heard from again.

Once the list closes, the organizer will post the final list. Also, a decision must be made as to whether to allow late additions. Sometimes there is a "pixie dust" list. That is, basically, a latecomers list that gets posted about a week out from the cruise that others may or may not add to their "final" list. Be sure the "pixie dust" list participants realize they may or may not get gifts from others, but are expected to provide gifts for the other FE participants anyway.

The other "biggie" is no other social media sites are allowed to be linked or search directions posted as to how find that other site here on DISboards. Please read this: http://www.disboards.com/threads/im...uise-meet-and-fish-extender-programs.3353477/

As it seems there are a few here on your cruise meet thread who would be interested in doing this, who’s going to step up and volunteer to maintain the list?

I will also note, to participate in conversations, everyone needs to have at least 10 posts. For those who wish to use this option for private conversations and don't have 10 posts yet, head over to the Test board to post and up your post count. http://www.disboards.com/forums/test-board.88/

Up to 20 people can participate in any given conversation.

Thank you for all of that information as it is very helpful! Since this is my first cruise, I would love for someone else who is more experienced to maintain the FE list, but if no one volunteers I will do it. If someone does come forward who is wanting to be the lead, I can still help in whatever way they need.

we are interested in joing the fish extender this will be our first disney cruise we have 4 cabins, there are 9 of us traveling but only one room with the fish extender the room will have 2 adults and 2 children a girl age 6 and a boy age 3

We would be interested in joining a Fish Extender Group as well. It is DH, myself, DD (10) and DS (8). This will be our 3rd cruise, we are really excited to go back 'home' on the Disney Magic.

I know we are more than 8 months out, but I'm curious for those of you who have been in here for previous cruises if you remember when your cruise board became more active?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter